cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford increasing SUV production

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Ford has announced they are decreasing production of cars, and increasing production of trucks and suv's.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2018/01/16/ford-plans-more-suvs-fewer-cars-plans-billions-shareholders/1037855001/

After moving some manufacturing back into the US they seem to be going even further toward larger vehicles. Could this be an indicator that CAFE standards may be rolled back and possibly even more on changes for larger vehicles?
34 REPLIES 34

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Must be all that ocean surrounding them keeping the nasty temps back. I have a lot of vivid memories of standing on a runway in minus 40 in Northern Alberta. Yeh. Now we live in the Okanagan. Easier to take.

CFB Cold Lake I'm guessing. I've lived in both Manitoba and Alberta and spent about 18 months or so...stretched out over the years in Northern Minnesota. All cold in the winter.

Yepir. Two tours, and before that North Bay and before that goose bay........you get the picture. 🙂 We are both radar, navigational aids and comms back grounds.

With those post assignments I'm guessing that's why you find southern B.C. so attractive...and who wouldn't. 🙂 Cold Lake and Goose Bay in addition are quite isolated on top of having sometimes difficult winters.

You have lots of experience in areas with not the infrastructure that large urban centers in southern Canada have.:)

It yah. Did a ton of off grid camping with our little Dutchmen faith wheel and 3/4 to though. Lots of trails hiked and canoes portaged. Another life. 🙂
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Must be all that ocean surrounding them keeping the nasty temps back. I have a lot of vivid memories of standing on a runway in minus 40 in Northern Alberta. Yeh. Now we live in the Okanagan. Easier to take.

CFB Cold Lake I'm guessing. I've lived in both Manitoba and Alberta and spent about 18 months or so...stretched out over the years in Northern Minnesota. All cold in the winter.

Yepir. Two tours, and before that North Bay and before that goose bay........you get the picture. 🙂 We are both radar, navigational aids and comms back grounds.

With those post assignments I'm guessing that's why you find southern B.C. so attractive...and who wouldn't. 🙂 Cold Lake and Goose Bay in addition are quite isolated on top of having sometimes difficult winters.

You have lots of experience in areas with not the infrastructure that large urban centers in southern Canada have.:)

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
John & Angela wrote:

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
falconbrother wrote:
I'm sure they have measured their web activity, showroom sales and determined that this is what's going to sell given the probable future. When gasoline is plentiful and the economy is strong bigger vehicles sell better, always have. To be honest I prefer a big SUV over a tiny little car. It's more comfortable for a full grown adult. When mom was dying I drove back and forth to Tennessee, sometimes twice a week, in a Honda CRV (the toad). It was miserable. Then I drove my uncle's F-150 and it was SO much more comfortable, huge difference. The CRV seats were built for small people and cut me halfway up my thigh. The F-150 and my Suburban have full sized seats and elbow room. So, when it's feasible a whole lot of people will want the bigger vehicles.

I'm not one of those people who check gas mileage. I just know how often I get gas and how much I'm paying. The 5 liter V-8 isn't having the financial impact that I expected. It actually does pretty well. I guess they tune them pretty lean. The CRV got around 20 - 22 around town and some interstate. The Suburban seems to get in the high teens in mixed driving.

So, Ford is making a good call I'd say. They build excellent trucks and SUVs.

There's a good point. I'm on the bigger side...6' 3.5 "...245 lbs. with long legs and a bad hockey knee...from too many years playing defense when I was a kid. 😉

I've tried to get in many small and mid sized SUV's and sedans...they're too small. My shoulder hit the window post, head hits the roof if the vehicle is equipped with a sunroof...can't stretch out my legs, etc.

My wife has difficulty getting into higher vehicles...so that lets out trucks. Big sedans , like a Chevy Impala , Buick LaCrosse or Ford Taurus are about the only things that work for the two of us.

Unfortunately the way things are going, I can see big sedans are next on the manufacture's chopping block.

Big sedans don't seem to appeal anymore which I think is because many consumers don't consider them. They might be pleasantly surprised how good large sedans are, if they did check them out.

I recall when we bought our 6 passenger Buick sedan new, back in '07...some of my co-workers were aghast that I would buy such a 'huge' vehicle. I was questioned by some about why did I need almost 4 liters of engine, wasn't I being irresponsible to the planet ...didn't I care about my carbon footprint...etc.

I tried to tell them that I could transport 6 people in one car, got excellent MPG at constant cruise on the highway...not too much worse than a 4 cylinder econo car. I tried to tell them that I could fit comfortably in the big Buick, when I couldn't in a small car. Didn't matter, it seemed.

Well they didn't take my word for it. They had no current experience with a large sedan and they would rather believe current 'green' stereotypes about the alleged foibles of the large sedan, without finding out for themselves.

There ! I feel better after my rant. :B

Meh. I don't know. 7 passengers and two trunks. And its quick. 🙂

I knew it...the carbon footprint comment triggered you to respond.;)

But I'm curious, always have been.

My question...how would a Tesla battery do in a very cold climate say the northern Canadian prairies. Periods of 30 to 40 below during the long winter are not uncommon in this area.

Extreme cold seems to affect my variety of batteries.

Would the Tesla range and general functioning be unchanged an EV operating in the mild, southern coast of beautiful B.C. ?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Les

Rumour has it you lose about 35 percent of range when its that cold. We have never been in that cold of weather in either of our EV's. Maybe minus 15 at worst? Nice though, prewarm from the iphone. Seats and steering wheel can also be pre-heated. We like it. About half of all vehicles sold in Norway are electric so obviously they do okay and its cold there. Depends on the persons needs, where they live, infrastructure. Southern coast of BC, no problem.

About a week ago it was -34 and temps (lows) have been hovering around -25 to -30 an awful lot since Xmas where I live. But think it will be zero tomorrow, but I'm sure in February we will have more very cold weather. But as we say on the prairies there are times when it is extremely cold here...but it's a dry cold. But I say...-35 is...-35.:E
:B

I checked Norway temps. A lot milder than parts of the prairies, more like southern B.C.

Norway temps

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
John & Angela wrote:

But then you would have to drive such a hideous vehicle.

🙂

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:

But then you would have to drive such a hideous vehicle.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Ford has announced they are decreasing production of cars, and increasing production of trucks and suv's.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2018/01/16/ford-plans-more-suvs-fewer-cars-plans-billions-shareholders/1037855001/

After moving some manufacturing back into the US they seem to be going even further toward larger vehicles. Could this be an indicator that CAFE standards may be rolled back and possibly even more on changes for larger vehicles?

This mainly has to do with the way the carbon footprint CAFE regulations work. Basically, if you sale more smaller cars, then the corporate average fuel mpg number you need to meet will be high. On the flip side, if you sell more large vehicles, then the corporate average fuel mpg number you need to hit will be lower.

So if Ford sales mostly trucks with a big footprint then their average footprint will be higher meaning that they need to meet a lower mpg number in the graph below. If they start to sale a lot of small cars then that would lower their average footprint meaning they would have to attain a higher average mph number in the graph below. So essentially you will have some manufacturers making bigger vehicles just so they don't have to meet such a high corporate average mpg. Just another example of the side effect of EPA regulations and how it actually does more harm then good because they only focus on meeting a number instead not what meeting that number will causes.

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
falconbrother wrote:
I'm sure they have measured their web activity, showroom sales and determined that this is what's going to sell given the probable future. When gasoline is plentiful and the economy is strong bigger vehicles sell better, always have. To be honest I prefer a big SUV over a tiny little car. It's more comfortable for a full grown adult. When mom was dying I drove back and forth to Tennessee, sometimes twice a week, in a Honda CRV (the toad). It was miserable. Then I drove my uncle's F-150 and it was SO much more comfortable, huge difference. The CRV seats were built for small people and cut me halfway up my thigh. The F-150 and my Suburban have full sized seats and elbow room. So, when it's feasible a whole lot of people will want the bigger vehicles.

I'm not one of those people who check gas mileage. I just know how often I get gas and how much I'm paying. The 5 liter V-8 isn't having the financial impact that I expected. It actually does pretty well. I guess they tune them pretty lean. The CRV got around 20 - 22 around town and some interstate. The Suburban seems to get in the high teens in mixed driving.

There's a good point. I'm on the bigger side...6' 3.5 "...245 lbs. with long legs and a bad hockey knee...from too many years playing defense when I was a kid. 😉

I've tried to get in many small and mid sized SUV's and sedans...they're too small. My shoulder hit the window post, head hits the roof if the vehicle is equipped with a sunroof...can't stretch out my legs, etc.

My wife has difficulty getting into higher vehicles...so that lets out trucks. Big sedans , like a Chevy Impala , Buick LaCrosse or Ford Taurus are about the only things that work for the two of us.

Unfortunately the way things are going, I can see big sedans are next on the manufacture's chopping block.

Big sedans don't seem to appeal anymore which I think is because many consumers don't consider them. They might be pleasantly surprised how good large sedans are, if they did check them out.

I recall when we bought our 6 passenger Buick sedan new, back in '07...some of my co-workers were aghast that I would buy such a 'huge' vehicle. I was questioned by some about why did I need almost 4 liters of engine, wasn't I being irresponsible to the planet ...didn't I care about my carbon footprint...etc.

I tried to tell them that I could transport 6 people in one car, got excellent MPG at constant cruise on the highway...not too much worse than a 4 cylinder econo car. I tried to tell them that I could fit comfortably in the big Buick, when I couldn't in a small car. Didn't matter, it seemed.

Well they didn't take my word for it. They had no current experience with a large sedan and they would rather believe current 'green' stereotypes about the alleged foibles of the large sedan, without finding out for themselves.

My question...how would a Tesla battery do in a very cold climate say the northern Canadian prairies. Periods of 30 to 40 below during the long winter are not uncommon in this area.

Would the Tesla range and general functioning be unchanged an EV operating in the mild, southern coast of beautiful B.C. ?

Les

Rumour has it you lose about 35 percent of range when its that cold. We have never been in that cold of weather in either of our EV's. Maybe minus 15 at worst? Nice though, prewarm from the iphone. Seats and steering wheel can also be pre-heated. We like it. About half of all vehicles sold in Norway are electric so obviously they do okay and its cold there. Depends on the persons needs, where they live, infrastructure. Southern coast of BC, no problem.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Obviously Ford has to still meet cafe standards, but maybe all their Eco mileage’s are allowingthem to build more big vehicles.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
falconbrother wrote:

Les

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
falconbrother wrote:

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote: