cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toungue Jack Base?

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
Currently I am using scrap wood pieces, but am thinking of screwing a stack together with the top having a clearance hole for the jack to aid in it not slipping. What do you use as a base for your toungue jack?
27 REPLIES 27

westend
Explorer
Explorer
We need a separate sticky thread with pictures of jack stands, leveling blocks, and sundry support accessories. I know I always get ideas from images like that.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

allenb12
Explorer
Explorer
I have 6 pieces of 4x4 screwed together. 3 wide 2 high. I routed a circle in the middle for the foot. I drilled a 1/2' hole in the center of the circle to let rain water out. I also drilled a hole thru the lower three and attached a rope to pickup and put down.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Is this the proper way:...

It is if you are on a hill, unprepared with lots of support, like "lumber", and have a missing jack on the left front corner! (I wonder if the tongue jack is broken too?)

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the proper way:

CDEW
Explorer
Explorer
I use a cut off from a laminated wood beam. It measures 12X12 square by 6 inches thick. I screwed a piece of 3/4 pressure treated plywood with a hole cut in the center for the foot plate. I also added some handles to the sides for ease of placement, picking it up and storage. Very durable and easy to handle.

CDEW
Explorer
Explorer
I use a cut off from a laminated wood beam. It measures 12X12 square by 6 inches thick. I screwed a piece of 3/4 pressure treated plywood with a hole cut in the center for the foot plate. I also added some handles to the sides for ease of placement, picking it up and storage. Very durable and easy to handle.

webwrangler
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
I use a flip foot. It adds 6" to the tongue jack and works well.

x2 on the flip foot. Just remember to crank it up fully after flipping it back...
2005 Rockwood 2104
2011 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4WD
Equalizer
Prodigy

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
My TT tongue jack has a round metal base pad on it about 6 inches in diameter. My pop up has one with a 6 x 4 metal base pad. At home I use 12 x 12 x 2 or 10 x 10 x 2 concrete pavers under them. When traveling I've got pieces of 2 x 10 and 2 x 8 pieces of wood to use for tongue and and 2 x 8 blocks in different length for the stabilizers and linx blocks for the tires if needed.

The_Owl
Explorer
Explorer
siamese wrote:
I haven't found anything I like better than carrying my little lumber yard with me.

This is what I use also. Allows me a wide range of jacking scenarios. At home I use a concrete block because I have several lying around and I donโ€™t have to worry about weight or rot.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Lynx levelers with points north-south, east-west
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Since I bought my new trailer, I've used the Andersen Jack Block. It takes the place of 3 layers of wood stacked together.

I like it.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use 2 -4X4's held together by a piece of 3/4 plywood screwed to the top.

siamese
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't found anything I like better than carrying my little lumber yard with me.

I have about eight pressure treated 2x6's x about 12" long that I use under the tongue, and/or under the corner jacks as needed.

Also carry a couple pressure treated 1x6 deck boards about four feet long, that I sometimes use for a little bit of leveling, or putting under the tires if the ground is soft. In soft ground, our Anderson levelers are useless unless we lay down a deck board first. Works great.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
bluie5 wrote:
I used a a piece of 6x6 inch treated post that I had lying around home.

X2 on this.

i had several scrap pieces. i bought cheap aluminum handles at lowes to attach to make them easy to pickup. i use one for tongue jack and 4 for my stablizer jacks.