Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco Eagle DIY Rear Storage Platform

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pic of Platform

Never been fond how most aftermarket storage units flex and rotate on bumpy roads--especially when the load is not balanced.

I took a larger platform I fabricated for under chassis storage on a toy hauler (since sold) and cut it down to fit our Jayco Eagle travel trailer. It's very stable. I can place a 100+ lb. generator on the far left or right with no stability issues.

There are two supports that are used to attach the ends of the OEM receiver assembly to the frame on the 2018 Jayco Eagle travel trailers. A 1 1/2" square tube will fit inside these supports. These supports just happen to be positioned so that when the 1 1/2" square tubes are inserted, they line up with the ends of this flat 24x67 platform almost perfectly.
11 REPLIES 11

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar factory fab platform under my Cougar travel trailer. It "glides" in/out on roller bearings. Problems are two fold. It hangs low, limiting ground clearance (but it does help protect my black and grey sewer outlet); and the two rear stab jacks are mounted to it. That means wherever the rack is when the jacks go down is where the rack stays, and any stabilizing pressure on the jacks is pressure on the roller bearing axle not directly on the frame. One of the axles was sheared in two wnen I bought the trailer.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work! Since you have three attachment rails, and a high tongue weight ratio, you should be able to put some weight on the platform.

If I had one suggestion about the steel fab, it would be something I learned about long ago---"Thou shalt gusset". Gussets add little weight but strengthen any shelf, considerably, along the two axes of the gusset.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrandpaKip wrote:
Good job.
I did much the same, except it is attached on top of the frame before the bumper. My camper is fairly low and I was worried about dragging.
I like how yours is easily removed. I’d have to unbolt mine, but it does fold up.
Thanks.

I considered using the same type of fold-up platform you used. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough clearance between our trailer's body and the bumper for the mounting hardware.

FWIW, just finished fabricating this generator cage that mounts on the rear platform. We can use padlocks on all 4 corners, but we typically only use locks on the opposing corners and nuts/bolts on the other 2. The top and side covers all slide in and out for access while the generator is inside the cage. Considered using some nice, shiny aluminum diamond plating as covers, but thought it may attract a bit too much attention--lol! Have an extra set of covers with cut-outs for use when the generator is operating. Provides good ventilation for the generator while also protecting it while operating it in the rain.

The cage (with the generator inside) can be slid/mounted far left, center (as shown), or far right on the rear storage platform.

Next project is a bike rack which attaches directly to the upper part of this generator cage.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
hawkeye-08 wrote:
Dad had a welding shop put a platform on the back of his previous trailer. They cut the bumper off, extended the frame about 24", made a nice platform with expanded steel and then a cage to go over generator and a couple of gas cans. His trailer had the axles towards the back of the trailer so he was fine on tongue weight with Honda 3000UI and 10 gallons of extra gas. The cage was hinged and locked down and if it was raining, it was easy to put tarp on and still allow airflow for generator.

His new trailer has builtin generator and is toy hauler..
Sounds like your Dad had quite the platform on his previous trailer. I wouldn't have the cojones or the skill to take on a project like that--lol!

Our previous trailer was a toy hauler with a 5500 Onan. We miss the electric start and the ability to run two a/c's---but, we don't miss the size and weight (5th wheel). My wife especially doesn't miss the "garage" atmosphere"!

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dad had a welding shop put a platform on the back of his previous trailer. They cut the bumper off, extended the frame about 24", made a nice platform with expanded steel and then a cage to go over generator and a couple of gas cans. His trailer had the axles towards the back of the trailer so he was fine on tongue weight with Honda 3000UI and 10 gallons of extra gas. The cage was hinged and locked down and if it was raining, it was easy to put tarp on and still allow airflow for generator.

His new trailer has builtin generator and is toy hauler..

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Good job.
I did much the same, except it is attached on top of the frame before the bumper. My camper is fairly low and I was worried about dragging.
I like how yours is easily removed. I’d have to unbolt mine, but it does fold up.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
drsteve wrote:
I would caution against putting too much weight back there. It's easy to unload the tongue enough to cause sway issues, which may be severe.

Been there, done that.
Good point! We've scaled our trailer empty, then loaded. Tongue weight empty is around 13-14 percent. Loaded (with empty tanks) it jumped a good bit over 15 percent, so we have the opposite problem. Although generator storage is this platform's primary mission, its secondary mission is to take on some heavier items in order to get our tongue weight down into the 14-15 percent range.

Then you are on top of it. Carry on!
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
I would caution against putting too much weight back there. It's easy to unload the tongue enough to cause sway issues, which may be severe.

Been there, done that.
Good point! We've scaled our trailer empty, then loaded. Tongue weight empty is around 13-14 percent. Loaded (with empty tanks) it jumped a good bit over 15 percent, so we have the opposite problem. Although generator storage is this platform's primary mission, its secondary mission is to take on some heavier items in order to get our tongue weight down into the 14-15 percent range.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer

Been there, done that.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
afidel wrote:
What's the distance from the rear of the trailer to the back of the platform? Looks to be about 3' but I'd measure to make sure it doesn't exceed 4' or you'll need lights on it.
From bumper to rear of platform is 27". Platform is only 24" deep. Looks deeper in the pic.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's the distance from the rear of the trailer to the back of the platform? Looks to be about 3' but I'd measure to make sure it doesn't exceed 4' or you'll need lights on it.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH