cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maxxis tire pressure question

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I just had 4 new Maxxis LRD tires put on my TT to replace the LRC China bombs that came with the TT. After returning from having them installed I checked the tire pressure which was 50 psi. The side wall says 65 psi maximum. What should these tires be inflated at, my TT probably weighs in about #7500 when loaded? Always ran my LRC at max of 50 psi. Thanks for the info.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience
16 REPLIES 16

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis tires do fail as any other tire can.

I had a set of Maxxis on a utility trailer. I run the tires at max rated pressure and the load in the trailer was always way under the tire rating.

One day after refueling I looked at the tires as I was returning from paying for the fuel. I noticed one of the tires appeared to be wet and there was no water of mud puddles around.

When I inspected the tire I found it was coming apart and I could see the steel belts.

I replaced both tires at a local tire shop and had to settle for some chinese tires I had never heard of. (Ironman).

I had the tire shop inspect the other tire and it appeared to be in good condition and both tires still had n=more than half the tread left. I moved that tire to my spare as the spare I had was an old class B tire.

Then a year later the Maxxis I had as a spare came apart while inside the trailer as the spare. See picture.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always run at max. sidewall psi (cold pressure). Doing this will give you the highest possible load capacity rating for the tires. Higher spare load capacity will help reduce internal heat buildup which is what kills ST tires.

Also never exceed max. speed rating of the tires and never tow overloaded. If you haven't, it's always a good idea to go to a scale to learn your weights, including side-side if possible (TTs can be heavier on one side). If you want to minimize the chances of a failure and get the most life from ST tires, also avoid sudden/sharp potholes & speed bumps, road shoulders and curbing tires. ST tires need a higher level of "care".

We upgraded from factory LRC to Marathon LRD and always keep them at 65 psi. After 4 seasons and about 20K miles, they still look new (will get replaced at end of next year regardless).

Pretty much anything you can think of to do with TV tires can be found at RVtiresafety.net which is run by a retired tire engineer. Running ST tires at max. sidewall psi is in his blog somewhere.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
March of 2017, I had a Maxxis ST205/75R14 LRC tire fail. It was about 4 years old. I faithfully keep it aired up to 50 psi. And I never drove over 65 mph. The steel belts broke. While I think Maxxis are one of the better TT tires out there, even they are not immune to self destruction.

I replaced the Maxxis with the new Carlise tire, and shortly afterwards replaced that TT.

My new trailer, Jayco Jay Flight 23RB, came with the then new Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R15 LRD tire. Time will tell if the new GY is a good tire or not.

SDcampowneroperator wrote:
17 years of seeing damage to rvs and blown out trailer tires.

Never seen a Maxxis or Hurcules blown out.

Weigh your axles Do the math to find the coorrect pressure per inch width of tire tread.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
MAXXIS in process of letting go. Just short of four years. No loss of air... yet. Always run LRD at 65 psi while sticker calls for 50. Never driven over 65 mph.
Was given full credit toward GY Endurance at America's Tire where the tire was originally purchased.
Was lucky to be able to swap this tire while loading for a trip instead of on the road like the oem DURO bias or the Denman Express.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
17 years of seeing damage to rvs and blown out trailer tires.

Weigh your axles Do the math to find the coorrect pressure per inch width of tire tread.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same weight rig and run with Michelin XPS Ribs at 80 psi.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
as others have said, inflate to max. while the load charts show max load vs. pressure, once you find the fine print on trailer tires, virtually all mfg recomend that they be inflated to max sidewall pressure. the exception is if that pressure vastly exceeds the actual tire load. For example a 225/15 or 16" LRE tire replacing a small 205/14" LRC.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Air em up to max. -that worked great for me!

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will really like the Maxxis. As stated before, they are not bulletproof, but if you watch your pressures and don't hit any curbs or any other type of road hazards you will get the max life out of them. I run the recommended max tire pressure that's on the tire and have been running Maxxis since 2005 with no blowouts. I do purchase new ones within a 5 yr period and rotate my older tires to my utility trailer. The nice thing about them is they have a 6yr manufacturer warranty and they do stand behind the warranty as I had a bubble appear on a tire that was on it's 5th yr and they authorized the dealer to replace the tire for $34. I was happy !!
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Explorer II
Explorer II
phillyg wrote:
Run max psi unless you can find a Maxxis load rating chart that indicates you can run less based on yourweights.
Maxxis Load/Inflation Chart
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run max psi unless you can find a Maxxis load rating chart that indicates you can run less based on yourweights.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is what we did with our Maxxis ST tires, we always inflate our ST tires from any brand to max psi as stated on sidewall as they just run cooler and provide maximum weight capacity rating. Never a blowout in over a decade including the china bombs that came with our 32' TT that gave us 3 years of service before changing them out for a set of Maxxis ST tires for peace of mind.

Being out west where we do the majority of our RVing, we commonly exceed the 65mph rated speed a few mph when traveling along the interstates, never had any issues, not even a flat. That being said, Maxxis ST tires are not bulletproof and suffer from the same issues from overloading and under-inflation that plague any ST tire. We replace our rig's ST tires after 4 years without hesitation regardless of their condition or wear.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, I thought the max was the way to go but I wanted to see if I was in the majority. Thanks again and safe travels.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
You should run the maximum allowable cold pressure posted on the side wall, in your case 65 psi.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76