Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Refrigerator Leaks When Defrosting

E-Wad
Explorer
Explorer
Good Day All,

I have a Dometic RM2862 (2007 5th wheel) refrigerator. When I defrost the unit, I get water under the unit on the floor it sets on. When I first discovered this problem, it was from water on the stuff in the drawer under the refrigerator -- it soaked through the floor and dripped into the drawer.

IT'S NOT the drain hose or drain pan catch cup, because now when I defrost, I switch the drip pan (under the cooling fins) around so the drain hole is on the opposite front and catch the water in a plastic milk jug. There is no drainage via the drain system. Also, this occurs whether I defrost just the refrigerator or both including the freezer.

I now place a piece of cardboard under the unit to catch the water that drips from the underside of the refer, to avoid it soaking into the plywood floor. The most water comes from the right side behind the heat exchanger vent stack.

My only guess is that when the frost melts, it is somehow seeping through the rivets that hold on the cooling fins, migrating behind the back wall and down. That being said, the amount of water I get, it would have to be multiple leaks.

I am hoping for some in-sight from the forum.

Thank you in advance.
Open Road - Rampage Lift
5 REPLIES 5

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of water migrating through screws that hold fridge fins - water tend to go down and any sideways migration would likely be miniscule. Pretty sure water leaks are limited to ice maker and clogged defrost drip tube. Any chance you have an ice maker?

BTW - You might be able to eliminate defrost issues by placing a fan on your fins - did that 20 years ago and haven't defrosted since.
Kevin

E-Wad
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
How is the drain pan connected to the drain hose if you are able to turn the catch pan around. Maybe I don't quite understand what you are doing?!

Thanks for taking time to reply.

The drain catch basin and hose is a non issue. I am by-passing it and draining directly into a plastic jug. You can turn the catch pan around so the drain hole is in the front.
Open Road - Rampage Lift

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
I would start by blowing compressed air through it. Or even remove the restrictor from the outside end and attach a clear plastic hose to the end and suck on it.

Be sure to reinstall the restrictor in the end when you are finished.

Once you have verified that the hose is clear, if you get water outside it, replace the hose-- likely cracked.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like your drain hose has a clog or a crimp in in. If you can, try running a long thin wire through the hose. Maybe a small bug or critter crawled up the tube and died, clogging the flow.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
How is the drain pan connected to the drain hose if you are able to turn the catch pan around. Maybe I don't quite understand what you are doing?!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?