cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda CRV Dinghy

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
Before I posted to the Dinghy Forum, I thought I would try here because I think the question is specific. In my travels across the country over the last 8 years, I have seen many Views and Navions with a dinghy. It seems that the Honda CRV was the one I saw the most, so I asked. Because of weight considerations, towing four wheels down is best to conserve weight and then there is the inconvenience of the dolly. A friend had two Honda CRV cars, unfortunately one got totaled by a 'distracted driver'. The older one I think qualifies as a dinghy, but I'm not sure. Which model years can be towed four wheels down without modification? What about auto/manual and FWD/AWD variations? My friend's car is in real nice shape and it is one I would consider driving as a second car. He really likes the Honda, so if it would work as a toad, I would have to make an offer he can't refuse.
Steve
10 REPLIES 10

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
dicknellen wrote:
Any CRv up thru 2014. AWD or fwd. No CRVs 2015 thru 2018. I tow a 2013 CRv. Dick

The issue is the TRANSMISSION. In 2014 Honda was transitioning to a "constant velocity" transmission. That is the one that cannot be towed. When looking for a CRV you'll want to be certain the transmission is "automatic". There are some 2014's with the automatic transmission and they can be towed. 2015 and newer all have the cvt and cannot be towed.

Geobiker
Explorer
Explorer
Check the owners manual for the specific Honda your friend is thinking of selling to you. That will answer your question. We have a 2012 Honda CRV AWD that we tow 4 down. Not sure if it was 2013 or 2014 where Honda no longer supported towing 4 down. Again, the owners manual specific to the CRV is your bible. Good luck.

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
Having owned two Honda motorcycles and two Honda cars, I have absolutely no reservations for doing it again.
Steve

Rick_Y
Explorer
Explorer
The Honda FIT automatic is good for towing 4 down only through 2013. 2014 and higher can not be towed 4 down.
Rick & Karen
2017 Hideout 177LHS travel trailer
2021 Ford Ranger w/tow package, named "Lil Toe"

Estu inteligenta, kaj parolu Esperanton

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I also tow a 2014 Honda CR-V AWD, the manual says that it's OK.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Kit Carson wrote:
Dicknellen, are you sure about the 2014? For some reason I was thinking the 2013 was the last year that could be towed. I could be completely wrong, though.

I own a 2014 and it's supposed to be OK for towing.
Kevin

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honda Elements have the same driveline as the CRV so can be towed.

We tow a 2011.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Dicknellen, are you sure about the 2014? For some reason I was thinking the 2013 was the last year that could be towed. I could be completely wrong, though.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Any CRv up thru 2014. AWD or fwd. No CRVs 2015 thru 2018. I tow a 2013 CRv. Dick

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/CR0000/CR0000O00176A.pdf
Kevin