cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Not unhooking for a night

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone ever not unhook their TT for a quick overnighter? We are planning a trip where we will stop for a quick night to break up the drive and I figured it would be convenient if we grabbed a pull through and didn't unhook. Can you level front to back at all while connected?
44 REPLIES 44

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Like most have stated, We never unhook for one night if possible. I normally try to find a pull through site, and just level slightly, plug in(unhook trailer plug), roll out slides and start relaxing.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
GWolfe wrote:
jerryjay11 wrote:
GWolfe wrote:
For overnights I won't unhitch but will unplug the electric from the truck. My truck leaves the 12V charge line on all the time and I'm paranoid about draining my truck battery. Usually our quick overnight stops are at a WalMart or something similar where hook ups are not available.

I have a 2015 Silverado and the manual says the computer won't let the truck battery voltage drop below starting power. I would think your truck would be the same.

Interesting, I'll have to check my manual. Thanks for the heads up.

My 2015 chev 3/4 's truck battery went right down to nil when I left the fridge on 12v and forgot to switch to propane one night and did not un plug trailer plug from bumper .No such thing on my truck that would stop this from happening unless manually un plugging.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Most any modern vehicle should have battery rundown protection. So many folks with gizmos today, leaving them plugged in there'd be dead batteries left and right.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
jerryjay11 wrote:
GWolfe wrote:
For overnights I won't unhitch but will unplug the electric from the truck. My truck leaves the 12V charge line on all the time and I'm paranoid about draining my truck battery. Usually our quick overnight stops are at a WalMart or something similar where hook ups are not available.

I have a 2015 Silverado and the manual says the computer won't let the truck battery voltage drop below starting power. I would think your truck would be the same.

Interesting, I'll have to check my manual. Thanks for the heads up.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
I landed in Lexington once, 7004 feet of flat ground.

They did that with a bulldozer...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I landed in Lexington once, 7004 feet of flat ground.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:
We used to do this all the time (no shore power) and never unplugged or unhooked and never had an issue. Honestly it never occurred to me that I ought to unplug the TT from the TV.

I always carry a Powerall Deluxe emergency jump starter in the truck so in the unlikely event I forget to unplug the trailer from the truck I'd always have a means to start the truck anyway. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I don't unhitch for overnight. As long as I'm level enough, I just unplug from the truck, give the dogs a good walk, and call it a night.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
This trip we remained hooked up for 14 days as we wandered from Myrtle Beach SC to San Antonio Tx. At night I always unplugged from the TV. Most nights the stabilizers were down. Many nights the tongue jack was down as well at times lifting the front on a sloped site.
In the mornings it is the same circle check for everything away and all lights working as would be done if unhitched.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
This forum is neat. Sometime one group responds en masse, other times it's a different group.

This question came up roughly a month ago and the stay hooked up crowd was in the minority. Page after page of folks swearing they would surely kill their truck and trailer if they didn't unhook for an overnight stop. Many claiming to do it "just for safety" or "extra insurance"
Just emphasizes the point there is no wrong answer to this particular topic. :@

Everyone has their own method of preparing their trailer for an overnight stop. To each their own and everyone is happy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
PaulJ2 wrote:
My bigger worry would be to drive off in the morning and forget to plug back into the truck.

I reached that age as well so I hang a toe tag on the steering wheel.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
My bigger worry would be to drive off in the morning and forget to plug back into the truck.

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I never unhook for an RON

BC4277
Explorer
Explorer
If my truck is pointing downhill, I'll drive the truck rear tires on a couple of boards, which lifts TT tongue and levels the TT.
In the past, I've not unplugged my 7 pin, as we sleep under a down comforter and don't use the heater at night. But will keep this in mind.
2017 Freedom Express 192RBS
Fastway E2 Trunion Hitch
2003 Tundra 4.7

Where ever I am,
is where I'm supposed to be