Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery bank in 5er

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

yet another question, how big is your battery bank ?

The reason for the question is simple, if you want to dry camp or boondock and have your fridge/ac/micro (the biggest consumers) that would drain batteries well under one day so how do you go about it ?

I know dont use AC/microwave is a solution but that doesnt apply to the fridge especially if you have one of these residential units.
36 REPLIES 36

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The residential fridge will do just fine if shut off overnight. The trick is to stay out of it. If you must open it know what you want & get it quickly. No sightseeing deciding what you want.

After a hurricane we were without power for 6 weeks. Had to rely on shared genny power with my neighbour. A couple hours in the morning. Maybe 3 hours in the evening. That is all we had. The fridge did OK.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Shutting down the fridge for the night may present a problem. Once it wasrms up, it will take a substantial run time to get temps back down!! โ€œPay me now...or pay me laterโ€!

I found it kept its cool overnight quite well. There wasn't a whole lot of "getting it cold again". From what I've heard of people with residential fridges (who turn them off for travel) say the same thing.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
bacil wrote:
Thanks, thats about what i expect, only one questionable thing for me now is if we want residential fridge and run it of the batteries

Fortunately for me, that question was answered FOR me- the current rig wasn't offered with one and the same with the next one.

I will say, to conserve battery power at night, I would often shut down the dorm fridge. You could likely do the same with a residential fridge.

Shutting down the fridge for the night may present a problem. Once it wasrms up, it will take a substantial run time to get temps back down!! โ€œPay me now...or pay me laterโ€!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
bacil wrote:
Thanks, thats about what i expect, only one questionable thing for me now is if we want residential fridge and run it of the batteries

Fortunately for me, that question was answered FOR me- the current rig wasn't offered with one and the same with the next one.

I will say, to conserve battery power at night, I would often shut down the dorm fridge. You could likely do the same with a residential fridge.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
bacil wrote:
@ependydad : great video, what exactly are you running on your batteries ? and ins't 1000W inverter too small ? i can imagine, you draw much more ?

We manage our use when on battery power/inverter.

But, we've ran:
- laptop + charger
- monitor
- multiple TVs
- game systems
- toaster
- wife's curling iron (that one surprised me)
- dorm/mini fridge
- various device chargers (iPhones, iPads, etc)
- fans
- CPAP machine
- oil difuser

It'll run it, but I try not to:
- fridge on A/C (found this out by accident yesterday)
- the ceiling fan

We can NOT run:
- too many things at once
- the microwave
- the A/C fan
- the A/C compressor (unsurprisingly)
- the dryer (unsurprisingly)

Hope that helps. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a Magnum Hybrid inverter for faster charging and load assist when on 15 or 30amp sites.

Much to my chagrin, my family doesn't practice just about any conservation when we're on battery power which requires more generator runtime than I'd prefer.

ETCrockett
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA FW has 6 12V battery bank. I can run the residential fridge, lights, and microwave for 2 days before I feel the need to fire up the generator to recharge the batteries. Of course, we use the microwave and lights sparingly as we are outside most of the time. We also don't use the AC or TV's on batteries. This year we will install the onboard generator and avoid all concerns.
Eric & Andrea
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA
2009 Ford F450 DRW

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
bacil wrote:
@ependydad : great video, what exactly are you running on your batteries ? and ins't 1000W inverter too small ? i can imagine, you draw much more ?

We manage our use when on battery power/inverter.

But, we've ran:
- laptop + charger
- monitor
- multiple TVs
- game systems
- toaster
- wife's curling iron (that one surprised me)
- dorm/mini fridge
- various device chargers (iPhones, iPads, etc)
- fans
- CPAP machine
- oil difuser

It'll run it, but I try not to:
- fridge on A/C (found this out by accident yesterday)
- the ceiling fan

We can NOT run:
- too many things at once
- the microwave
- the A/C fan
- the A/C compressor (unsurprisingly)
- the dryer (unsurprisingly)

Hope that helps. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a Magnum Hybrid inverter for faster charging and load assist when on 15 or 30amp sites.

Much to my chagrin, my family doesn't practice just about any conservation when we're on battery power which requires more generator runtime than I'd prefer.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bacil wrote:
Absolutely agree, i just did my math and i would need close to 800Ah to run the domestic fridge and some other appliances and allow for 50% discharge on batteries between the charges (daily) from geny as i dont think solar is capable to do this alone.
Are you sure about your math? A Samsung model RF197 uses about 125-150AH. So depending upon all of your loads you should be able to stay under 200AH or 4x6V batteries.

Solar depending upon it's size and with the sun shining can supply much/all of the daily usage.

Of course no A/C.

BTW One of the best investments you can make is a battery monitor so that you can do a accurate energy audit and then decide what you need.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
As we winter boondock and enjoy the โ€œstuffโ€ that uses lots of power....we have six (6) batteries and six(6) panels...Though on extended trips and cold temps (single digits and below zero), we still run the little generator a few hours, every couple of days to recharge. If you have several days of overcast days....you will certainly need the generator!

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bacil wrote:
retispcsi wrote:
I have 4 6 volt batteries with a 2800 pure sine inverter. Also 6500kw Gen all installed by factory. I have a residential frig also. Will run everything I have except AC. Quite common depending on the brand of fiver you buy. I don't boondock but I have for the convenience as we fulltime. Comes in handy when the power goes out or stop for lunch.

This is exactly our plan, fulltime with occasional boondocking, hence all these questions on different topic, we plan to move to RV in march from our boat. I keep coming back and forth between factory installed geny and pair of quiet ones in track, and other things like the fridge and power, but also water etc.

Personally, I'd go for an add-on genny. All the factory ones are straight generators and run wide-open all the time. Not that the Onans are noisy, but they're a whole =lot= less efficient than almost any inverter-generator. There are several gen-box DIY builds that have been posted over the past few years, from fairly simple to elaborate.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bacil wrote:
laknox wrote:
bacil wrote:
I think i should have opened this in the tech part of the forum .... sorry admins ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway ๐Ÿ™‚

As per battery bank, i am coming from sailing yachts world and we have in our charter flotila most boats with 2x starter battery for engines/generators and banks of 4 house batteries (deep cycle marine batteries usually 120Ah each) hence the term battery bank, if its wrong "terminus technicus" i do apologize ๐Ÿ˜‰

This setup usually gives me about 4-5 days on quiet sailing if i only use the electronics and navigational/living quarters lights and have small fridge running. If i go smaller i would have to run engine every 1 or 2 days ti charge batteries

Surprised you don't have solar and/or wind generators...

Lyle

These are charter boats, so usually they are out max of 2 days from charter week so the cost is not worth the return. People charter them anyway, so from pure money sense its pointless to have the solar/wind installed on all of them.

The "Minnow" was on a "4 hour trip". They might have liked them! :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
RollandB wrote:
... 4-6v lLofeline AGMs... I relocated the battery bank to an unused area that has plumbing vent lines which were partitioned off and not the easiest to get to for everyday storage.
Good choice for batteries in a hard-to-get-to place.

Itโ€™s not hard to get the batteries in and have access to them, itโ€™s an area where to use it for storage doesnโ€™t work well with how itโ€™s cut up with tank vent pipes to work around. I just positioned the batteries around the pipes and connected them with the same length of 4/0 wire
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
retispcsi wrote:
I have 4 6 volt batteries with a 2800 pure sine inverter. Also 6500kw Gen all installed by factory. I have a residential frig also. Will run everything I have except AC. Quite common depending on the brand of fiver you buy. I don't boondock but I have for the convenience as we fulltime. Comes in handy when the power goes out or stop for lunch.

This is exactly our plan, fulltime with occasional boondocking, hence all these questions on different topic, we plan to move to RV in march from our boat. I keep coming back and forth between factory installed geny and pair of quiet ones in track, and other things like the fridge and power, but also water etc.

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
bacil wrote:
I think i should have opened this in the tech part of the forum .... sorry admins ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway ๐Ÿ™‚

As per battery bank, i am coming from sailing yachts world and we have in our charter flotila most boats with 2x starter battery for engines/generators and banks of 4 house batteries (deep cycle marine batteries usually 120Ah each) hence the term battery bank, if its wrong "terminus technicus" i do apologize ๐Ÿ˜‰

This setup usually gives me about 4-5 days on quiet sailing if i only use the electronics and navigational/living quarters lights and have small fridge running. If i go smaller i would have to run engine every 1 or 2 days ti charge batteries

Surprised you don't have solar and/or wind generators...

Lyle

These are charter boats, so usually they are out max of 2 days from charter week so the cost is not worth the return. People charter them anyway, so from pure money sense its pointless to have the solar/wind installed on all of them.