Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie boondocking

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
We live in extreme SW FL.
We have never boondocked before except for an occasional single night such as a superbowl party, we didn't want to have to drive home from. OH... and a couple weeks in the driveway after Irma, with a 3500 non inverter gen for A/C.
We have an Amerilite 21mble with all led lighting, a 1000 watt inverter we can hook up if needed.
It has 2 new group 24 Wallyworld marine "deep cycles", and the original WFTCO 3 stage charger.
I think it is 30 gal fresh, 30 gal grey and 30 gal black.
I do have a Wen 2000 watt inverter gen, hence the winter trip, it won't run mt 13,500 a/c.
We are thinking about doing a festival here in February, for only 3 nights.
What do you all suggest bringing ?
I have a @30 gal 4 wheel tote tank. I saw a 45 gal fresh water bladder with optional sureflo pump and all fittings on line, but don't want to buy things we won't need.
We can easily do 4 to 5 nights on black and grey without showers, but understand the "navy shower ".
I'm sorry this is so long, but it always seems to help if all pertinent info is in the original post.
Thank you all for suggestions.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo
16 REPLIES 16

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Westend. I don't usually worry about my parasitics. At home it is wired to an rv 50 amp with a 30 amp adapter and PI surge protector.
It seemed like the processor in the auto stereo was my biggest parasitic loss, so I switched it for when running off battery.
About the time I get done modifying it, we'll probably see one we like better, and the fun starts all over again.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC had a good recommendation! That said, if you are truly boondocking....water will likely be your most important item.
The black tank is probably the next issue, fill time can be extended if.... the man of the house can use what โ€œMother Natureโ€ provides. Wives generally donโ€™t prefer this method! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Batteries: depending upon your usage, season, and charging capabilities....you may only need to run a generator a few hours per day, or may satisfy your needs with solar panels!

Cold hard reality is, if you want to do lengthly boondocking often... you may need to reconsider your RV,s capabilities!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Good thinking, two batteries will make sure that you don't run a single down so far that it loses a lot of life.

A couple of suggestions: Install a disconnect switch so you can park it without worrying about the parasitic loads draining the batts. Secure the batteries, stuff really flies when the trailer gets tilted.

BTW, extra points on the man card for using a protectant on the cable terminals!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great answers. We are going for 3 nights. It is a one day event at an Elks lodge. There are no hookups at all, but there may be jiffy johns. If the lounge is open we will have toilets available. I'm sure we will want some TV in the evenings etc.
I put a side mount truck tool box on the tongue a couple years ago and, it has been begging for a dual battery set up.
This seemed like the perfect excuse. We will be right on the water so I expect to need heat. Pic attached. Thanks again.

2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The driveway campout test is the best way to figure it out.

I use real plates, etc. I wash them with my fresh water. I have yet to run out of water in 4 days (I'm usually about halfway down without being frugal). I cook, clean and drink from my fresh tank.

For battery, I have yet to drop below full green. I use lights when needed for cooking, etc. I charge my cell, kindle, etc., as needed. My fridge is on propane (and is old so doesn't use any battery power). I have the water pump running the entire time.

My propane lasts forever and I have my water heater on throughout the trip.

So, it's really subjective as to what you will need. Testing your own usage will prevent you from buying unnecessary items and/or having to be more frugal than you need/want to be.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
In our old camper we had 60 gal fresh, 30 black, 39 gray. We could go 5-6 days in 90+ temps at a music festival (using their facilities while inside at the shows) and never come close to running out of water or filling up the gray, black would get close but not full. That included a daily navy shower for me, one around every other day for my husband. Very little dishwashing, usually just a quick rinse for stuff like knives/cooking utensils and using paper/plastic for everything else.

We have always had an onboard generator so I can't speak to that side of it, other than saying we did have to fill up the onboard fuel tank for the generator a few times since the AC was on a lot.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you are at a festival, why cook or eat anything in the camper! Festivals are just MADE for food! Yum, Yum, Yum! No cooking, cleaning, dishes, or water needed!

To save your battery power, take an ice chest along for your cold food items (if you have any), just like you did when you tent camped. Remember those days?

Save your water for cat-baths. Use nothing from the camper that requires electricity (just like tent camping). Enjoy the festival, return to your camper just for sleep, and hit the festival again in the morning!

Hopefully, February is still not too hot in Florida. Considering the entire Eastern half of the country from Florida to Texas to Maine is under ice and snow right now, maybe, you won't need air conditioning at all.

You can live without electronics for 4 days. If you need to charge your cell phones, use the tow vehicle and plug them in there for a while. Take lots of deodorant!

I agree with the above suggestion... try a driveway camp at home with NO electricity for 4 days and see if you can do it. If so, you've got it all covered. If not, figure out why you need electricity .... and work on eliminating it. It's only 4 days! Even on survival shows, folks make it for 4 days before going nuts!

Edit:
Remember also, you can always plug the camper pig tail into the tow vehicle to get battery power from the tow vehicle to use for retracting slides, electric awnings, and electric tongue jacks if the house battery on the camper goes dead.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My two type 24 batteries would get me through 3/4 days with no problems - unless it was very cold and I was using the furnace. Not sure how many people so water/tanks are an unknown but you s/b Ok if your not taking showers. If your going to festival then toilets are likely available - use them.
Kevin

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also use the festival's facilities when convenient to reduce water usage and dump tank space. Save yours for middle of the night needs.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Dave,

Thank you for being complete. So often similar questions are asked and there is little information to lean on.... You do say "We" and I am hoping that is two (2, dos).

My only suggestion would be "Paper Plates and such". Washing uses a lot of water when we dry camp or boondock. If you are at any kind of a festival (there are two that we do regularly) there will be plenty of trash cans to take advantage of as needed.

We eat differently than most, but we can usually buy one meal a day to save that load. We go to a 5 day event, and have only 35G of both potable and combined black. It works most times.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Boondock camp in your driveway for 3 or 4 nights and see what you need?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
For three nights the only thing you are light on is battery capacity if you should need to run the furnace. However, since you have a small generator you have the ability to recharge during the day. I have a pair of GC batteries and don't think twice about doing a 3-4 nighter.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
down the main forum list is 'Locations'
there is a boondocking and dry camping category and tons of threads on it. It might be great to jump in there and get great info.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can go 4 days with 40gal fresh, 20gal each black and grey, a group 31 optima agm battery, and no generator or solar. I would suggest doing a driveway camp for a weekend and see how it goes. Then you can adjust usage and/or buy what you need.