cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Her Plugged In

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Rookie RVer :C here! My question for this week......is it okay to leave motor home plugged in (30 amp) while parked in driveway for long periods of time?

No plans of getting on the road any time soon, but I do spend time “tinkering, repairing, and learning about” my new to me Winnebago Vista so I am in and out of it.
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"
38 REPLIES 38

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
1. OP did not state how level his driveway is. So, if NOT level to spec, he better not run the refer
2. Power Converters built in the past 20 to 25 years will not boil the battery/s dry in a month. But, you need to check the battery water once a month. Once they boil a little, it starts boiling more and faster.
3. What I advise is to install a simple plug in timer to the Power cord where it is plugged in. Have it set for 12 hours per day. That will keep the batteries up and you will not have to worry about overcharging or boiling. IF you have a Converter that has a separate 120 power cord, then plug the timer into that cord instead of the whole RV.
4. I NEVER get calls from customers that leave their units plugged in and they cannot get the RV started due to dead batteries. I DO get such calls from customers that do not plug in or cannot plug in due to where they store it. Doug

PS, I WOULD plug my RV in, but would check the batteries and systems twice a month

That timer sounds like a great idea!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

redeldo
Explorer
Explorer
On just about every camper we have had it was plugged in to 30amp power 24/7. The last 2 were motorhomes and always plugged in except when we were traveling or were going to be out of town for a while (non-camping).

That said I am not sure that keeping it plugged in is a real good idea. Why you might ask? On the Monaco Dynasty we had, the refrigerator caught fire while plugged in under the shed at the house. After the fire department responded and the inspector gave his opinion, he said it was electrical failure. Totaled the motorhome. I feel (felt) it safe to keep it plugged in all the time but if we replace the Monaco with something else, I don't think I will keep it on power all the time. Guess I am skittish at this point.

If you do keep it plugged in then keep a close eye on everything!!! Be careful out there.
Wayne
2001 Monaco Dynasty Legacy
2004 Jeep Liberty (toad)

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has been plugged in and stored outside beside my house since October and will remain plugged in until my first road test (May) before a camping trip in the spring. Temps here were unusually cold in December (-30C/-22F) for a long time. Then had a thaw near end December to 12C/53F and I checked the batteries. Everything was fine. All appliances inside are turned of/winterized. Another thaw coming this weekend and I'll check everything again. Have done this will all my MHs with no issues.

As for power surges (we get a lot in our rural area) my surge protector takes care of them. As for cost, I'm guessing a very few dollars a month.

My previous MH did havev an issue and would not charge the chassis batteries when plugged in and after freezing them (and replacing) I put in a Amp -l-Charge. Solved the problem.

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The only times we're unplugged is while underway, occasionally boondocking, or making electrical repairs or upgrades.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Absorption cooling (RV FRIDGE) is very effective, and depending on the quality of the cooling unit very reliable and safe (leaks are not safe).

BUT.. Not very efficient. About 300-400 watts running

Compressor units are more efficient About 100-150 for an RV size running

And the new High Efficiency Compressor units 35-40 watts running.

NOTE these high effiency jobs are or were offered by both Norcold and Dometic in the standard RV size(s) and are electric (120/12v) only

I also have a Freezer (Chest type) behind me. Same technology 36 watts 13 years old.. Only problems I've had with it are in teh 12 volt supply.. It sometimes comes unplugged. so now every time I move.. I check it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Walaby wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
Keep an eye on the water level of the house batteries and expect to pay up to $30 more a month if the fridge is running. Other then that, people do it all the time.

Leave mine plugged in all the time, and the fridge running and don't come anywhere NEAR $30 a month more on electric. More like $10. Virtually unnoticeable change.

Mike

That's the figure we've come up with as well - about $10 a month.
Well worth it to me.

All depends on the price per kilowatt and fridge I guess. When my bill went up by a dollar a day I figured for sure it was the S&B fridge on the blink.

Got a kill-a-watt and started to check everything out to see where the problem was. Tracked it back to the MH fridge.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2004 coach has been on the road about six months every year for 15 years. The other six months it is parked in our RV garage and always plugged in with the inverter on and the refrigerator off.I have a battery watering system installed but use very little water.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I would prefer to keep electrical boards hot rather than cold. A cold board will absorb moisture. Moisture is a killer of electronics.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I'll chime in to say that I keep mine plugged into 50amps in the driveway all the time during camping season when we're not actually camping, with fridge ON and usually at least the A/C fans blowing on low....if not the A/C fans, then a floor fan plugged in and blowing to keep air circulating. For me, camping season is usually March through the end of November, so 9 months out of the year she's plugged in. I'm running a single 12VDC RV/Marine battery from Auto Zone as the house battery and so far it's never failed in the past 4 years. I'll probably replace it after the end of this coming season. The other months, the pink stuff is in the lines and she's stored under a shelter. The chassis battery has a trickle charger connected so it gets a conditioning charge while not cranked and driving down the road.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. OP did not state how level his driveway is. So, if NOT level to spec, he better not run the refer
2. Power Converters built in the past 20 to 25 years will not boil the battery/s dry in a month. But, you need to check the battery water once a month. Once they boil a little, it starts boiling more and faster.
3. What I advise is to install a simple plug in timer to the Power cord where it is plugged in. Have it set for 12 hours per day. That will keep the batteries up and you will not have to worry about overcharging or boiling. IF you have a Converter that has a separate 120 power cord, then plug the timer into that cord instead of the whole RV.
4. I NEVER get calls from customers that leave their units plugged in and they cannot get the RV started due to dead batteries. I DO get such calls from customers that do not plug in or cannot plug in due to where they store it. Doug

PS, I WOULD plug my RV in, but would check the batteries and systems twice a month

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The OP has a 2008 Winnebago Vista 30B, so unless someone in the past has replaced the converter, it is a single voltage battery boiler that Winnebago installed.

The OP, probably with some help, can determine the make//model of the converter and then decide if it is single stage or multi-stage.

If Multi-stage, you probably only need to check the house battery water a couple of times a year, If single stage, then you need to watch them like a hawk and check them monthly or more often.

I didn't keep my View plugged in constantly until I changed out the converter, now it stays plugged in 24/7. The fridge is turned off, but yes, the board still receives power, in addition to other items. Not sure how much that shortens the life span of such equipment, if any.

Looking at the wiring diagrams for the OP's MH it appears to have the same power panel/converter that my View does, most likely a Parallax single stage converter, which the OP would do well to swap out for a Progressive Dynamics 4645V which is an easy direct out/in swap.

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD4645V-45-Amp-Converter-Upgrade-Optional-Remote-Pendant_p_351.html#.Wm...

If OP posts a pic of the electrical panel with the door open. and cover removed, it would help. Otherwise you have a bunch of personal experience comments that may or may not be of value to the OP.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Bruce_Brown
chuckftboy wrote:
My coach is always connected to shore power unless driving down the road. No issues at all and when I sold my last coach the house batteries were 8 years old and still doing fine.

Ours is plugged in 24/7, I changed the batteries when they were 9 years old.

Yup, I see no problem leaving it plugged in.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Usually solar charging plays well with shore power charging.

cross21114 wrote:

Would the solar panels do anything when you are plugged in to shore power?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
LVJ58 wrote:
I leave mine plugged in to 50amp service when parked at home. I turn converter off and let the 110w solar panel maintain coach and chassis battery by leaving battery disconnect switches in the ON position. So far no problem over 20 years.

Best of luck and safe travels...:)

Would the solar panels do anything when you are plugged in to shore power?
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition