cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacing incandescent running/brake lights with led

hatii
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 cougar xlite 28sgs. It has orignal lights running/brake light (Bargman 30-92-001) I want to replace them with bargman 47-84-610 led lights. Will I run in to any problems.
22 REPLIES 22

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Yeti plus wrote:
If you use Bargman 47-84-410, all you have to do is take the existing lens off, remove lamp and put the new unit in place. No extra wiring needed.
That is what i did to the TC and the light is far better.
Brian

I did this also on my AF990.

They have two advantages over the incandescent bulbs. First they are considerably brighter particularly the brake light function. Second the brake lights are pretty much instantaneous with brake application allowing following drivers a few extra milliseconds to respond.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the BEST mods I have ever done was replace the entire 3 section Bargman incandescent assemblies on my 32.5 Avion Platinum with the exact LED replacement.

I was SHOCKED to see when I turned on the blinker people actually noticed and mover over. Of course not all but MANY more than before.

On our Mobile Suites it came with a yellow light out of three on each side as the blinker. I want ALL lights to blink as they did on our previous DRV. So I removed the electronic controller and the yellow light and replaced with red and now all my lights blink as they should. I did have to redo a bit if wiring also but not much.

People have no issue seeing these! I turn on blinkers wait if no response I give a courtesy tail wag still no response I slowly start moving over. Life is good!

OH the LED backup light mod below is AWESOME also.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

westend
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
i just drive them, someone in the shop does the buying. and said for some only dealers and have them and need wait for them to come in.
sure might get most online someplace. maybe even cheeper.
but seeing as most of the fleet here is under warenty. ( 75 trucks).
and we are just one of 120 dcs ( varied products at each of them) around the country.
For your RV, buy replacements online. There are many vendors on E Bay. I'd suggest to buy warmer color models in different lumen output, if possible. Lumen rating, even by mainstream suppliers, is different by vendor or within vendor.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
i just drive them, someone in the shop does the buying. and said for some only dealers and have them and need wait for them to come in.
sure might get most online someplace. maybe even cheeper.
but seeing as most of the fleet here is under warenty. ( 75 trucks).
and we are just one of 120 dcs ( varied products at each of them) around the country.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
... but i am thinking about the lights in side my coach.
just never have fresh beef under led lights. ( color spectrum is off) meat look sick bad.

Incandescent bulbs typically run ~ 2600 to 2800 degrees Kelvin, the LED versions I'm using inside my trailer are a close 3200 degrees Kelvin. The light is "cleaner" but still quite warm, unlike cold light LEDs which typically run 5000 to 6000 degrees Kelvin.

Fresh beef, anything, looks just fine. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
we use leds on the new tracters and trailers at work.
what a joke.
first: dealer only items. always on back order.
gone are the days of universal fit parts.

The trailer manufacturer did not create the LED lights they put on their trailers. They got them from some supplied, whether NTP/Stag, eTrailer or Keller Marine. Probably directlry from Bargman. You can go to those same distributors and get the lights.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
we use leds on the new tracters and trailers at work.
what a joke.
first: dealer only items. always on back order.
gone are the days of universal fit parts.
second: they fail often. do not last anywhere as long as normal lights.
third: cost five times as much.
fourth: way too bright can be confused with the brake lights.
fifth: less current draw = easer to have a curent fail cause less is required so less needed to interfere with the flow of electrons.

yes this is in a commercial setting the equmpment is in use 24-7-365.

yes i run them on my motor bike ( makes little juice), would never just replace them do to cost . but i am thinking about the lights in side my coach.
just never have fresh beef under led lights. ( color spectrum is off) meat look sick bad.
as to my running lights thinking there, but cost says wait.
and keep at least three or four spares on hand. do not buy the cheap ones as they are pure junk.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using 1157 type double filament bulbs since I was a kid in the '60's for tail/brake lights. "Work Fine, and Last a Long Time" Cost about fifty cents apiece

austinjenna wrote:
I dont really get it either on replacing the outside bulbs with LED's but to each their own. I think I replaced one bulb in like 15 yrs.

I replaced an incandescent bulb on our current trailer last summer - first bulb I've ever had to replace on any trailer we've owned in nearly 20 yrs. :B

Think I'll save my $$ and just stick with what I have because they work and they're legal. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using 1157 type double filament bulbs since I was a kid in the '60's for tail/brake lights. "Work Fine, and Last a Long Time" Cost about fifty cents apiece

I dont really get it either on replacing the outside bulbs with LED's but to each their own. I think I replaced one bulb in like 15 yrs.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Brighter and more modern. Resealing behind the lights when you change them and no more burnt out bulbs.

It's a nice DIY upgrade for those so inclined. Nothing wrong with taking some pride in your rig :C

jamesroadking
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using 1157 type double filament bulbs since I was a kid in the '60's for tail/brake lights. "Work Fine, and Last a Long Time" Cost about fifty cents apiece.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
One advantage of LED's is that they instantly reach full brightness unlike incandescent bulbs. Also, they usually are much brighter so that instant brighter light just might get the attention of the cell phone idiot tailgating, but I doubt it.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see where there was any expectation of meaningful power efficiency increases.

LEDs have other advantages for these uses. Many LED tail lights are brighter than many of the (often poor) reflector designs used, or at least generally more visible. Due to the lower current consumption, they ought to work better with marginal grounds or power connections, though that's not ideal in any case. There is (or at least should be) far less worry about having to change burnt out bulbs. With purpose-built LED fixtures, you can get permanent sealing and hopefully thicker lenses to help avoid cracking, leaking, etc...but of course that might not actually work out as well as it in theory ought to if the maker decides to use the advantages to build the lights more cheaply than was possible previously, rather than to a more reliable standard.

The complaints about the lights not working well (or rather being particularly visible) in poor weather were in relation to the incandescent versions, by the way.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
jamesroadking wrote:
Someone please in a cost verses function way enlighten me here. And what is the actual cost?
So, what's the advantage of changing out your trailer or 5th wheel running and brake lights for what these new bulbs cost. Your running and brake lights are powered off your truck's battery and alternator, not your house battery.
I understand lower your amperage drain on you house battery when your dry camping from your interior lights, but your running and brake lights are not hooked up to the trailer or 5th wheel battery. I think that six or eight running lights aren't a problem for your trucks electrical charging system.

You hit my question right on the HEAD! When I first read the OP's question I had "exactly" the same thoughts. I just didn't know how to state it, so decided no comment was better than a bad comment. What's the cost savings here? I don't get it at all ... ESPECIALLY after reading these LED running light bulbs don't work right in inclement weather, as another poster (above) stated.