cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gotta Ham Bone. Need a recipe!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Got a good ham bone with a lot of meat on it left over from Christmas. Just pulled it out of the freezer.

Need a good recipe for soup, beans, or whatever I can do with it! Any ideas appreciated!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
16 REPLIES 16

bobrizer2
Explorer
Explorer
Google Senate Bean Soup. It is, by law, served in the U S Senate cafeteria every day and it is really good. I wonder if that is what makes our politicans
so full of gas. If I had a ham bone, that's what I would do with it.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
coolbreeze01 wrote:
While pinto beans are good, my favorite is Navy Beans with ham, onion, celery, and seasonings.

The recipe I use is very close to this one with a head or a little less of garlic and Zatarains Cajun seasoning and a bay leaf.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie wrote:
I am in the same situation with our holiday hambone. Can't decide between split pea soup and chick pea soup. My family would have a fit if I "wasted" a hambone on anything else. lizzie

The problem I always have is splitting those peas. it takes forever and I usually nick my fingers..:):) Jokes aside I do love split pea soup
especially when the weather is cold. However Ham bone and any kind of Beans or peas is definitely not a waste.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
Put it in a pot with frozen mixed veggies, add water, potato and onion chopped up.
I also like barley.
Slow cook until the meat falls off of the bone.
Here is a tip I found out the hard way- If it was a spiral sliced ham you end up with pieces of bone from the slicer- NOT GOOD!

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
While pinto beans are good, my favorite is Navy Beans with ham, onion, celery, and seasonings.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info folks; now decisions, decisions.......
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
THAT^^^ Pinto beans all the way.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
You can't beat pinto beans with a ham bone! My new instant pot cooks my beans in 30 minutes...don't forget your raw, diced onions with cornbread. Yummy! I just used my turkey carcass from Thanksgiving for turkey soup yesterday.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the same situation with our holiday hambone. Can't decide between split pea soup and chick pea soup. My family would have a fit if I "wasted" a hambone on anything else. lizzie

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing better (to me) than large limas cooked with a ham bone in a crock pot at home or a DO when camping. Helps to take a hammer and crack the bone first, then sides of rice, slice of onion and cornbread. I put it all together and let it cook until the beans are done, limas take very little time to cook.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Boil it till the meat falls off. Add split peas and cook till tender. Go to the store and buy a box of Johnnies corn muffin mix. And make it up.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Love these ideas, keep 'em coming!!
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Add a can of soda (I use cola) to the beans on the above recipes to get them and the meat to soften faster.

Do not follow the bean package soaking instructions. It says to pour off the soak water. Keep the water, especially if you have used the fast soak method that calls for boiling the beans. DO throw away the water you wash the beans in before soaking.

Do not add any thing acidic (tomato paste, salt, spices, etc) to the beans until they are softened. Acid slows softening and soda water or baking soda (just a pinch) hastens softening.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Simmer the bone for 3-4 hours in enough water to cover it. (Or do it in a crockpot.) Remove the bone, let it cool, and pick off any meat. Return the meat to the broth. Chill the broth overnight, and skim off most of the fat (will vary depending on how much fat was on it.) Then use the broth to cook navy beans, or red beans. Add peppers, onions, etc to the red beans and serve over rice.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board