cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about diesel engine heater (not glow plugs)

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot find this anywhere in the owner's manual. I have a console switch to turn on the engine heater for very cold weather. I would use it for several hours before trying to start the engine, but I would only use it if it runs directly off the ac connection and not off the house battery pack. I know that, if I'm plugged up, the batteries continue to charge but whether or not the charge would keep up with the load, I don't know.

I have a 2006 Phaeton with a Cat 350 hp engine.
11 REPLIES 11

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
All of the Block Heaters that I have seen on motorhomes have an outlet in the engine bay that the Block Heater can plug into. Our Dynasty had it as does our Prevost.

Look in the engine bay for the plug and it should be plugged-in or is nearby (unplugged).

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
To answer my own question, there is a relay in the electrical cabinet that turns the block heater on and off.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
While that's make a nice laugh, it's also, obviously, incorrect! Love the cold.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I was watching a MH review and they said if you have to use your block heater then you are too far north and you should immediately travel south

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure the console switch activates a solenoid switch that powers the heater. All switches in the console are 12 volt. When it warms up around here I want to see where the heater feeds from. Really never paid much attention to this system until the last couple of weeks, when the engine glow plugs kept coming back on as I attempted to start.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to the Tiffin RV Forum and get an answer right now! However, if you have a switch to turn on the engine block heater, you should be able to flip the switch and watch your amp meter(s). If they jump up 10-20 amps then it's working and the rest of your questions I answered above.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine outlet is in the engine area but I have converted it to power my house refrigerator install.
Why are you cranking it up so often? My going through two heating cycles you should be able to crank it when that cold.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The engine block heater runs off A/C power only. It would only be available if you were plugged into shore power or running your generator. It would not have any affect on your batteries either good or bad.

That's what I guessed and hoped. Tried to call my contact at Tiffin but they have ice and snow and sent all the employees home.

Thanks
MrWizard wrote:
You need the block heater in Alabama?
Or are you going north to cold country

I have the MH in storage but have a power connection. Try to run engine and generator every weak or so. Had difficulty Monday morning last week, when the temp was 13. Global warming has not been fair to
us this Winter. Expecting 11 tonight.

Old-Biscuit wrote:
Is the 'block heater' plugged into the outlet in 'electrical bay'....which I believe is what that console switch turns on/off
Block heater is 120V AC

Good point. Haven't seen any receptacle that looks guilty and I, honestly, haven't done a search, but I expect it will be hard wired. Hopefully, when Tiffin reopens I can get an answer.

MrWizard
You need the block heater in Alabama?
Or are you going north to cold country

7 years with our dp and i never ever even plugged in the block heater

I don't want to be so some place that cold
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the 'block heater' plugged into the outlet in 'electrical bay'....which I believe is what that console switch turns on/off
Block heater is 120V AC
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The engine block heater runs off A/C power only. It would only be available if you were plugged into shore power or running your generator. It would not have any affect on your batteries either good or bad.