cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your guys's opinion on do this repair myself or take it in?

nehuge
Explorer
Explorer
How many hours do you guys think it would take on a 1995 Class A Motorhome on the F53 Ford Chassis with a 460 for the following...

Power steering pump is at its end.

Figure while I'm in there I do:

Water Pump
Alternator
Thermostat
Idler pulleys, tensioner if there is one
Serpentine belt
Radiator hoses and the little ones that go to the cooler, etc.

What's your take on this on how long it would take?

First shop quote was $3,000, and that was with me supplying the water pump, alternator and thermostat! They had 2.5 hours down to replace serpentine belt. what....?

I await my other quotes as well as your input.....
42 REPLIES 42

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a solution you are satisfied with at a price and time frame you are happy about, we call that a WIN!

Congratulations!

nehuge
Explorer
Explorer
Went the mechanic route and around $2,500 I'm good to go....just too much going on so looking back glad I did that route even though it was some cash.

nehuge
Explorer
Explorer
Whizbang, I guess doing the pump since over the last 14 years it has sat some,and I don't want to have to go in there a second time later, you know?

But anyways a littl update thus far. Most of the rest of the places did say 10 to 15 hours, however on parts it varied greatly. Anything from "Well, we'd have to have it here in the shop to quote on the parts side of things" to "we wont' take customer supplied parts". Well that narrowed it way down lol I found a reputable "mobile" guy that can do the about 14 hours at $90 hour (other shops in Phoenix are $110 to $120) or so (not including issues like snapping bolts, etc), plus he doesn't charge for mileage nor additional trips if he has to run and get parts, and he'll use customer supplier parts, etc. He also will also work with me on labor, if he gets in and does the more difficult parts of it, I could have him stop there and I finish up the rest. That's a pretty cool option to kill off some labor cost.

Reason I asked if doing myself was cake versus someone else in the first place is that my shoulders/back ain't what they used to be. On the other hand I have huge time constraints as I'm listing my home for sale and my wife has surgery so this is all hitting at once.

I'll probably order the meat of it online for the big hitters like the alternator, PS pump, water pump, etc...and let him shop for the hoses and pulleys, as online I saw many different shapes for my year. I'll have him remove them from the vehicle first and go match 'em....rather than peering under there and trying to memorize or take phone pics of which one curves/bends where and then matching those pictures to the pictures of the products online (which we know may not be accurate or vary) hence the time constraint thing.

I'll check in again to let you know how things go this route. I guess ballpark at this point is 14 hours, (let's say 20 hours because some unforseen issue)...then parts that I order which are the most expensive ones compared to the little hoses and stuff he'll order makes it $2kish.... so let's say $2,500. Better than the $6k lol.... even though i wrote back to the $6k shop and said "you know you quoted each line item as if the vehicle was put back together each time"...he acknowleged that, I asked him to quote it in the literal way and awaiting his reply.

I like having multiple backups just in case someone flakes, you know? LOL

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if the condenser on the F53 can be removed without draining the coolant and pulling the radiator?

Chris

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet hit the nail on the head --- the difficulty with this job is the "rusted bolt problem". Some part or another is held on by 4 bolts. The first three unscrew in two minutes. The last bolt either takes an hour and a half, or strips out, or snaps off. Ouch. Game over.

Before you start, stop by the RV storage lot and spray every bolt or nut with penetrating oil, liquid wrench, PB blaster or an equivalent. DO THIS EVERY NIGHT FOR A WEEK.

The parts you mention are just bolt on stuff, not especially difficult. I hate working on vehicles. But, for $3000, I think I'd attempt this work.

The only job I question is the water pump. If it was replaced in 2004 or so, why replace it now? How many miles has the RV had since then? Our 2002 gasser only has 40,000 miles on it. I'm not swapping out the water pump any time soon (I hope). Good luck.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

https://www.amazon.com/Cardone-21-5184-Remanufactured-Power-Steering/dp/B001PBOZ5Y

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

nehuge
Explorer
Explorer
Yes thank you, Autozone was one of the ones that showed as having one, but as you go through the process, all the way as if you are checking out, at the very end it says "error during your process, part unavailable". I may have found a site that can rebuild it for $50 more than a new one with core exchange.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
take pictures of belt routing,Alternator wiring etc. with a camera or your cellphone before you start then you can refer back to them when reassembling. you can also use pictures to make sure your getting the right parts at the auto store.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I've never done it, but apparently they have rebuild kits for them. Don't know if this is the correct one, but here's one from Gates:

https://www.carid.com/gates/power-steering-pump-rebuild-kit-mpn-350450.html?singleid=48730805&url=89...

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know that pump, but using F53- the only model info you provided- I found Autozone availability:

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/power-steering-pump/ford/f53

Should take you directly to a page with 3 options.

Make sure you confirm it ๐Ÿ˜‰

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
On my project, the pump was no longer made. I found one that was as close as possible and had some lines fabricated and had to modify the fill tube to make it fit.

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
Most pumps for 460 use a core cast iron pump, then a cover that is changed to make it fit the application. Some places will sell the cast Iron pump, then you use your old tin cover with new o rings and gaskets to reassemble it.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
After looking at your vid I'd just replace the power steering pump from the drivers fender. Take it off and take it to your local NAPA they should be able to match it up.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

nehuge
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the vehicle has a front hood access that I didn't film because my phone camera gave me the low battery warning. lol Top radiator bolts I think are accessed from there.

Well, found out today that the power steering pump itself that I ordered is not available. Drives me crazy when website show it as in stock and it isn't.

Now I looked for 3 days straight to find a site that showed the pump available....so now what? For thanks to all those that chimed in so far, does anyone know how to source this? There are rebuild kits, where I guess I'd use my core? I have no idea how to even begin to start getting into a pump whatsoever. But again, I'd have to gain access to pull the pump in the first place, so we got quite the pickle here. Perhaps I can find a steering place that can rebuild my core.