cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Caught at a Pemex by the oldest trick in the books

PUTERPUPPY
Explorer
Explorer
While in Bahia Kino yesterday, we stopped for fuel and I looked away to tell our travel buddies where to park, and looked back to find my fuel was already done. Somehow, it took a third of the time to put the last 250pesos in as it did the first 250.
As I remember from years back, they(the gas attendants), have a way to jump the price ahead and I think I got that.
6 REPLIES 6

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I consider myself well-traveled and have driven Mexican highways for more than 25 years for work and 17 rving. I've never ever been cheated with some of the tricks people have mentioned on rv.net over the years; 50/500 swap, resetting the pump, credit card scams (I have to pay for all my fuel with debit/credit cards for tax deduction purposes), etc.

Not sure what they see in some and not others. My routes are mostly non-toll roads, backroads and rural รกreas.

Cheating at the pump is nothing new, in fact, it occurs in many countries on most continent. Some are more obvious or blatant than others.

Just commenting.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

PUTERPUPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I was talking about looking away for seconds not minutes. All I was doing was topping off, not typically filling up. It went from less than 250 pesos to 500 that quick.
Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, I've known of this practice often

Talleyho69
It takes longer for us at about 180 liters per fill! It always costs us a minimum of 2500p per fill. They typically look at us and ask, "Cuantos mas?"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't take long to pump that four gallons of fuel. When I fill with 40 liters it is installed in under three minutes.

iguana07
Explorer
Explorer
$250.00 Pesos is very little fuel Could it be he put it in?
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

Talleyho69
So what did your fuel gauge show? I haven't heard of anyone having a way to make the gauge jump ahead.