Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MagneShade

Navy_Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
Help!

I'm considering a MagneShade for the Winnie and looking for comments (good and bad) on their effectiveness and ease of installation.
Bill (CDR, USN (Ret))& Kathleen (retired homemaker)
Mingo & Maverick (Aussie Shepherds)
2016 Winnebago Vista
Competition BBQ Team Leader
19 REPLIES 19

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Navy Smoker wrote:
Thank you for the responses. I'm placing my order tomorrow.

Watch the video for install. Make sure the outside magnet slides all the way into pouch.
Install
Install big bus
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
subtroll wrote:
We've enjoyed our Magna Shade several years and continue to receive complements from Campground guests stopping to admire it. Great conversation starter.

One of the best features is that it can be quickly installed without a ladder. My ladder days are over.

X2 plus who the heck wants a bunch of holes drilled around Windows for snaps or twisty locks.
2015 Wrangler JKU

Navy_Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the responses. I'm placing my order tomorrow.
Bill (CDR, USN (Ret))& Kathleen (retired homemaker)
Mingo & Maverick (Aussie Shepherds)
2016 Winnebago Vista
Competition BBQ Team Leader

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
We've enjoyed our Magna Shade several years and continue to receive complements from Campground guests stopping to admire it. Great conversation starter.

One of the best features is that it can be quickly installed without a ladder. My ladder days are over.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my Magneshades for 5 years and love them. We have them for the windshields and side windows. They are very easy to put up and take down. I put them up by myself in a big wind storm at an RV park, and someone came up to me after I was done and said he was now sold on them after watching me put them up. They are really great!
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I made a shade out of the silver foil/bubble sun block material that is a one person, no ladder installation. By gluing 1/4 X 3" wooden trim stock in both ends of the 4' high material and a reinforced hole at the top of its 8' length it's easy to put on. Had to add a SS screw in the middle of the front cap just above the windshield that the hole goes on first. Then each half is rolled out and using bungee cords from the middle of the wooden battens...held in place.

Found a deal on a surplus black sun shade for my Dynasty for $75...though it was just the windshield but had the side ones too. Modified the front one like above and used the snaps on the side windows. Only use the foil one when it's really hot and facing the sun. Also made one for the inside using suction cups and tan sun shade material from Lowes. Used the same material for a shade that goes in the track of my awning.

I have $100 in the modified front and side outside black shades and about the same for the foil front one...$200. The tan sun shades were another $100 mainly in material. I use silicone seal instead of sewing...fold over and glue. Glued a piece of coax cable into the edge of the tan sun shade for what slides into the channel on the awning. Yes, I'm frugal in some areas.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
They have You Tube video's showing installation and removal. They work very well to cut back on the daytime sun and look good on the coach. A bit hard on the RV budget, at least for me, but worth it during the summer months.

Magne Shade / You Tube
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
I have the RVSun Shade with the snaps on my coach, and am very satisfied. I too thought hard about the Magna Shade, but what turned me off was......what if I ever/or a friend would come to visit who happened to have a pace maker, what would be the outcome. I read on their site that this MAY be an issue. Just my thoughts on why I did not pursue getting.
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
OK-- I'll be the naysayer----- I used a Prompt shade for over 10 years on our prior coach and really liked it. When we got out new coach, I decided to try the magnashade. It works OK, but tends to slip/wrinkle on the windshield. My Prompt never did that. Plus Prompt is a fraction of the price

I had a Prompt shade on my PaceArrow for 14 years. In that time leaving it on 24/7 it only fell(blew)off once. Mine was held on by a bunge like cord on each side with a L shaped bracket that went on the window trim.

If your Propt is slipping it sounds like the magnets in the outside pouch are/ were not all the way up during initial installation.
2015 Wrangler JKU

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK-- I'll be the naysayer----- I used a Prompt shade for over 10 years on our prior coach and really liked it. When we got out new coach, I decided to try the magnashade. It works OK, but tends to slip/wrinkle on the windshield. My Prompt never did that. Plus Prompt is a fraction of the price
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
We love ours.

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my Magneshades for a couple of years now, and absolutely love them. I think I've convinced a lot of people to get them when we are at a campground and they see how easy they are to put on and take off. Once, a magnet fell off my driver side window (My fault - I opened the window too far, and knocked it off myself). Instead of getting a replacement from the manufacturer, I just went to Home Depot and got a pack of rare earth magnets the same size for under $5. Oh, and I cut a short piece of dowel rod and laid it in the window track so I can't open the window too far and knock that magnet off again.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
This is mine.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Magna Shade and love it. Pricy but well made. I think the patent may be running out soon as they have been around a long time and then there will be cheaper knock-offs available. Right now I think the are the finest sun screen available and very easy to install and remove. Don't hesitate, you'll be happy.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows