cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.1L workhorse Engine - Cost to Repair Blown Headgasket

kcgaz
Explorer
Explorer
I may have a blown head gasket, any idea what I’m looking at paying to repair? I can’t do it myself, so a shop recommendation in Phoenix would be much appreciated as well.
17 REPLIES 17

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
I would want them to show me just where it is leaking. All they have to do is put pressure on the system.

TheHobe
Explorer
Explorer
You might try a head gasket sealing product as a first/last resort. I do no personally know if these work but it is certainly worth a try before spending probably $3-5,000 on a head replacement. You should indicate what preceeded the problem so we can get a better idea of what may have happened.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Replaced engine once already and new one has 3000mi on it something is wrong here---those motors last a lot longer than that. And if only 3000mi isn't it under warranty?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
kcgaz wrote:
Thanks for all of the input, the rig has 22K miles and the engine was replaced and only has 3K miles on it.

Was the engine replaced because of a faulty MAS sensor?
If it was not diagnosed and changed along with this new engine, this could be the reason for your problems with this replacement engine after only 3,000 miles. If the sensor is not detecting any pinging from the engine it will allow the engine to self destruct.

Dennis37
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure it is the head. I though I had a bad head gasket. Turned out to be a loose clamp on the heater hose that is close to the thermostat housing.

kcgaz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the input.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I'd just change the head gasket and move on. The 8.1 is a durable engine and will likely give many more years of service.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/BlueDevil-Head-Gasket-Sealer-ounce/dp/B000NOO798
Check this out, follow directions exactly and it will work.
95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
How many miles are on the engine?
Has the motor ever overheated?
Have oil changes always been done on schedule?

I'd say if less than 70,000 miles without ever overheating and regular oil changes the bottom end is probably in great shape and just changing the head gaskets would give many more years of service.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jasper in a MH makes a lot of sense because of their nationwide warranty

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to go with a crate engine check the warranty. A friend of mine replaced his engine that way and within a month the engine crapped out. It was then he found out the warranty was on the engine only, not the labor, which is a big part of the total bill.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Replacing the engine, even with a short block, will probably hit your wallet for $10,000+.
Right now I would have the mechanic do a compression check of all cylinders to determine the overall health of your engine and then go from there.
I seem to remember that some of the GM engines had an issue with head bolts coming loose. I would guess that a mechanic could pull the bad head in one day and then give you a better idea of what it will take to fix things. I hope that you are at a truck shop instead of some RV repair shop with limited experience with major engine repairs.
I would estimate around $2000 if the head is OK and it is just a bad gasket.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
I would guess,if everything went as planned.a new headgasket would be in a $2500 to $3000 range.

Going as planned depends on how long the head gasket was perforated. If it's been perforated for a while, a deck resurface is in order and quite possibly a new or reman head. If it was me, I'd replace the motor with say, a Jasper with a warranty and turn in the old one for a core. Replacing one is sometimes easier than repairing one in the engine bay....and you can buy a dressed (long block) ready to go with all accessories as well. Those are plug and play.

My thoughts.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
I think calling several shops in the area and asking my be your best bet. Do let them know which side it is on, that will make a difference as far as accessories that may or may not need to be removed.

If it has a lot of miles on it and you intend on keeping it, inquire also about changing out to a crate engine with a warranty. That way you have both prices and can decide which option is best for you. You may be planning to keep your current unit and if so you want the best repair that lasts the longest for your money.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab