cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brakes needed for car tow dolly and Mini Cooper?

Wufpak204
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Mini Cooper Countryman that needs to be dolly towed. It has electronic brake assist so I cannot use a Brake Buddy. We have a 2015 Itasca 35F Sunstar with a towing capacity of 5000 pounds. We do not plan to travel to Canada in the near future (where we understand brakes are required). We will probably get a vehicle we can flat tow next year. We would like to get the least expensive, used car dolly for this summer for the Mini. Do we need a surge assisted brake dolly? It would be very expensive to wire the Itasca for electric brakes. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Not all Canada require brakes on the dolly, some law enforcement may think so until the paper was brought out showing no requirement, just went through this the past summer moving a car.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If towing on a dolly you do NOT WANT TO USE a brake buddy or any other type of aux brakes on the VEHICLE itself. Only brakes on the dolly..

If the Mini's brakes activate while towing it can tear it right off the dolly.

Beyond that I have not real comment.. But when dolly towing do not use the car's brakes.. Dolly brakes (if dolly is designed for it) are OK (it will have some kind of "Stop" to insure the car does nto overrun if the dolly brakes)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Demco SS to tow our VW Beetle. It has surge brakes and does an excellent job. Look for a used dolly with brakes...

Gary

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I have electric brakes on my dolly that tows a KIA Sportage. I know it bigger than a mini. I would not tow without,there are more and more times you will need a fast stop and with out the added braking it will take you longer to stop. I like the electric brake as it add no extra weight to the dolly, which make the dolly easier to move. With the brake controller up with driver you can make sure its working.
Not knowing but I would bet the MH has wiring for the brakes. If your plug is 7 pin I know for sure. I think even 4 pins handle electric brakes. There should be a wire under the dash for the brake controller.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Wufpak204 wrote:
We have a 2015 Mini Cooper Countryman that needs to be dolly towed. It has electronic brake assist so I cannot use a Brake Buddy.

I don't think you want brakes on the towed vehicle if you use a dolly.
The braking action would try to pull it off the dolly.

If I bought a tow dolly, it would have surge brakes. Simple and effective. Plus, it will be easier to sell when you no longer need the dolly.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I would get one with surge brakes. No wiring or special connections for the MH. The extra cost, priceless if it saves that one in a million accident. If you decide later to go 4 down, you will probably recoup the extra $, and be easier to sell. Before going 4 down, our dolly had surge brakes, only recall the dolly brakes coming on once in a panic stop (long story), but they did make a noticeable increase in braking power.
As for the laws, every jurisdiction (state or province) have there own and then each have there own interpretation as to whether a car is a trailer, towed, 4down dolly.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would be getting a dolly with brakes, even surge brakes would be beneficial.
When and if you get a vehicle that can be towed four down, the brakes on dolly will help it's resale value.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we flat tow so i'm not certain but i thought dolly's had an on-board breaking system.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle