cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Savannah Georgia camping

sltrawick
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to go to the Savannah Georgia area this April for about 5-6 days. Have never been and would like some suggestions on campgrounds. Thanks!
Sharon-ME
Cameron-DH
Bella-14 - Dachshund/Chihuahua Mix-Chiweenie) Crossed the Rainbow bridge July 1, 2021
Rocko - 4 months - Mini Dachshund
Panama City, FL
FSU SEMINOLES

2013 Class C Fleetwood Jamboree
24 REPLIES 24

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
deadeye1 wrote:
We are planning on staying for a week in Savannah the 2nd week of April. We would like to stay at the SP but seeing the comments on the bugs my wife is a little worried. Any one have an idea what its like in April
Thanks

It doesn't matter if you are at the SP or one of the commercial campgrounds, the no-seeums will be bad. As spoon059 above mentioned, they are bad this year. We had a really cold spell in January, but it was short and not long enough to kill them off. It already hit 90 degrees once in Brunswick this year and the bugs are out in force.

Buy a portable ThermaCell, keep it with you and you should be fine.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I imagine its pretty bad. We were in Brunswick GA, then Charleston and those little black no-see-ums were obnoxious this year. They usually don't come out this early in the season, but something about the odd weather pattern this year seems to have hatched them early. It was pretty annoying in Brunswick...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

deadeye1
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on staying for a week in Savannah the 2nd week of April. We would like to stay at the SP but seeing the comments on the bugs my wife is a little worried. Any one have an idea what its like in April
Thanks

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Love Skidaway. One of our favorite campgrounds in our history of camping (45 yr) Also vote for Lake Jasper, Have used it as an overnight on more than one occation while traveling I-95. Been very pleased.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

charming
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at Skidaway Island SP. Large private lots and some full service lots are available.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Rivers End... didn't care for it. VERY tightly packed in. Tybee is a great island though and the campground is right near the "downtown" area of Tybee.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Been reading through the thread, didn't see this one mentioned. We have stayed here several times. Very nice campground close to the North Beach Area of Tybee Island. http://www.riversendcampground.com/
Mark

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
stew47 wrote:
Stayed at red gate. Very nice.

Oops, I meant Red Gate, not Savannah Oaks. We've been to Savannah Oaks before and it was just ok. Red Gate is very nice, not laid out like a traditional campground. We get a spot near one of the ponds, its actually pretty private and away from the rest of the campers. I think its also the closest campground to downtown Savannah, about 6 miles straight into downtown.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
sltrawick wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Iโ€™ll check into them.

all are good choices...not fond of the KOA, too tight for my liking...
while there, go to Mrs Wilkes Dining Room for lunch at 197 W Jones St...only open for lunch 11:00 am to 2:00 pm...Monday to Friday and cash only...great souther rest

Go Noles
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

sltrawick
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. Iโ€™ll check into them.
Sharon-ME
Cameron-DH
Bella-14 - Dachshund/Chihuahua Mix-Chiweenie) Crossed the Rainbow bridge July 1, 2021
Rocko - 4 months - Mini Dachshund
Panama City, FL
FSU SEMINOLES

2013 Class C Fleetwood Jamboree

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
Is Hardeeville still in business? I called many times the past spring and fall and never got a callback. Seems to me that if they can't answer their phone or return a call they're either not in business or don't want business.

It was still there and open last week when I passed through.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve stayed a few times at Fort McAllister State Park. No seeums could be a problem in the spring at any coastal Georgia RV park.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a stay at Creek Fire in March and looking forward to it, heard a lot of good things about it !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at the KOA and were satisfied. Sister has stayed at Creek Fire and really liked it.

Gary