cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrading my converter ?

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 25 amp Magnetek converter in my TC I'm replacing with a new one from Best. My question is the only difference in the 35W and 45W is the input wattage 550W as apposed to 725W. What's the difference in more wattage input, what are the benefits of higher input wattage.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
We do not normally talk about "Wattage" but AMnps out.. The Magnetik is not nmuch of a chargerm no regulaton to speek of (Well Ferroresonant) known as a battery killer.

They make both "intergrated" units (Onverter is also power distribution) and "Stand Alone"

IF you want to replace JUST the converter

Progressive Dynamnics 44600 for intergrated 9200 for Stand Alone and go with the 45 amnp model

The slight upgrade will likely work well, but going too big on the converter you need to upgrade the wiring as well between converter and battery.

ALSO the converter should not be nmore than 1/3 the battery's C/20 rating A single Group 24 needs about 20 anps max charge and they sinmply do not come that small so if you have a single Group 24, consider a battery upgrade

Like a pair of GC-2 in series.. They will last a long timne with a 45 amp converter Or a 60,, not so long with an 80 but you may not notice the difference.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
ordered my new PD from Best this morning,

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you had a 25A Magtek model 63XX, it only had about 3A of charge current for the battery.
A new converter will have its full current rating available for charging the battery and will be a night and day difference from that clunker.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Magnetek is pretty much not more than a toaster anyway. A PD is a drop in replacement.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
tuna fisher wrote:
, what are the benefits of higher input wattage.
Higher output wattage.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Controller ? Magtec ?

Do you mean "Converter" for charging batteries
35 amp verus 45 amp ?

Most people me included will tell you not to buy another Magtec
But to buy a different replacement product that will drop right in
Possibly one of the models from Progressive Dynamics
corrected my wording, been a long day and yes that's what i'm doing going with a PD converter

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
tuna fisher wrote:
I have a 25 amp Magnetek controler in my TC I'm replacing with a new one from Best. My question is the only difference in the 35W and 45W is the input wattage 550W as apposed to 725W. What's the difference in more wattage input, what are the benefits of higher input wattage.

You mean 35a and 45a. You mean converter not controller (which is for solar) Higher input watts mean more is required from a generator. But the generator supplies VA not watts. Most converters have about 0.7 power factor, so that 725 is really 1036 VA, which means a "1000W" generator will not be enough. (Honda 1000 actually is rated at 900VA)

The 35a converter at 550 would need 786 VA so that generator would run it ok.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MrWizard
Controller ? Magtec ?

Do you mean "Converter" for charging batteries
35 amp verus 45 amp ?

Most people me included will tell you not to buy another Magtec
But to buy a different replacement product that will drop right in
Possibly one of the models from Progressive Dynamics
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s