cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PDI During Winter Question

dkeller
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone got a question for you, ordered a Octane T32C in the fall and now has finally arrived Winter here in PA (was supposed to be delivered in November) and they want me to go out and do the paperwork and PDI. The big problem is they do not want to put water in it as has been checked and winterized. I obviously do not want to do a PDI without water as that is such a big issue if there are leaks and such. So what are my options I understand their issue and have told them mine but what are the options can I put anything in the paperwork that states when come in Spring to pick up that if there are any issues I am not stuck with it? Thoughts?
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 Diesel
2018 Jayco T32C
Reese Straight-Line trunnion WDH
22 REPLIES 22

dkeller
Explorer
Explorer
Well finished the PDI and they did everything I asked for it makes you know for sure if there are any leaks between the Tub/floor and toilet/ floor seeing water all the way into both with all tanks completely filled. No leaks were found so piece of mind there. I would recommend to anyone have all tanks filled so all connections are tested a lot easier with clean water then doing after tanks are used. Took it for a test drive as leaving for the rest of the winter and did have a little Porpoising, so when go back up will see if can be completely eliminated. I want to thank everyone for their input was a great help.
2018 Jayco T32C

Y-Guy
dkeller wrote:
I have downloaded the PDI checklists

If the check list isn't toy hauler specific make sure to bring along some gas so you can dump 5 gallons in the tank and then pump out 5 gallons back out, that's how you test the fuel station.

I highly recommend videoing each segment so you can review later.

My first RV that I did the downloaded PDI the dealer nearly walked, I told him I just needed access to the RV to check all those things, he didn't want to give me a ladder. But when he figured out I wasn't going to budget he backed down and gave me the time.

Congrats, good luck & have fun!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

dkeller
Explorer
Explorer
Well go tomorrow to do the PDI they stated they will put water in it so will see, not sure if just saying so will drive the 4 hours and then change their minds will let you know how things go. I have downloaded the PDI checklists is there anything especially for the new Jayco Octane series I should keep an eye out that some of you know are an issue?
2018 Jayco T32C

River_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
Having tanks completely filled is a bit of overkill, but it's your RV so do what you want.

Key is do not sign any documents until the PDI is 100% complete, they will first send you to the loan/paperwork guy, tell them you will sign off once the PDI is complete and any items that need to be fixed are complete, not until. Stand firm and ready to walk about that. Once you sign it you own it and its now a warranty issue, things move much slower at that point.

I don't think for one second that request is overkill. Too many stories around of the factory forgetting to glue fittings, cracked tanks, or the best, clogged dump valves because when they drilled the tanks they left the slug from the core drill drop into the tank.

The dealer will do what you request if they want to sell the unit and if they make it out like you're a major inconvienence to them, then you probably don't want to purchase from them to begin with.

I am in 100% agreement with not signing anything until after the PDI. I totally rejected a unit we had a dealer order for us due to many build defects. If we would have signed all the docs prior as the dealer originally wanted, we would have been in a weak position.

Make them fill the tanks, dump the tanks, try all the water on both city service and the pump. Test all the electric on both shore power and battery. Take your time. I certainly would not feel guilty about any of it. I go on the roof and they never want you to do that, they start quoting insurance requirements. I have purchased 3 new and have been on the roof of all 3 after resistance. I take my own ladder and creeper to a PDI.

Great advice!

dedmiston
I too would have them fill & dump the tanks. Our #1 warranty issue has been with the tanks not filling properly.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Y-Guy wrote:
Having tanks completely filled is a bit of overkill, but it's your RV so do what you want.

Key is do not sign any documents until the PDI is 100% complete, they will first send you to the loan/paperwork guy, tell them you will sign off once the PDI is complete and any items that need to be fixed are complete, not until. Stand firm and ready to walk about that. Once you sign it you own it and its now a warranty issue, things move much slower at that point.

I don't think for one second that request is overkill. Too many stories around of the factory forgetting to glue fittings, cracked tanks, or the best, clogged dump valves because when they drilled the tanks they left the slug from the core drill drop into the tank.

The dealer will do what you request if they want to sell the unit and if they make it out like you're a major inconvienence to them, then you probably don't want to purchase from them to begin with.

I am in 100% agreement with not signing anything until after the PDI. I totally rejected a unit we had a dealer order for us due to many build defects. If we would have signed all the docs prior as the dealer originally wanted, we would have been in a weak position.

Make them fill the tanks, dump the tanks, try all the water on both city service and the pump. Test all the electric on both shore power and battery. Take your time. I certainly would not feel guilty about any of it. I go on the roof and they never want you to do that, they start quoting insurance requirements. I have purchased 3 new and have been on the roof of all 3 after resistance. I take my own ladder and creeper to a PDI.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Y-Guy

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

dkeller
Explorer
Explorer
OK have to ask if I am asking too much from the Dealer that I want all tanks filled for the PDI so if there are any leaks from the tanks it might become apparent since has enclosed under belly, also want to make sure lights for levels all work. They are pushing back that it has already been tested and I don't need to see that am I asking too much?
2018 Jayco T32C

dkeller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone we will be going 4 hours from Pittsburgh to Cogan Station PA the weather Friday into Sat is supposed to be into the 50's but low in the upper 20's so should be OK. They did finally agree to put inside for full hookup and convinced them to put fresh water in the system for our overnight stay on their property outside. I will not lie I am a little nervous doing this during the winter not sure if would have purchased if they stated would be doing the PDI in January. Originally was told would have in November.
2018 Jayco T32C

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
FULL PDI or no signing of anything and no payment! I bet they are breaching their contract with you by not doing the full PDI, and you should be able to get your deposit back. If your deposit is on a credit card, contact your card company, I bet they will reverse the charges for you, at least dispute it. When you start getting in the dealer's pocket, they will cooperate.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Agree on bring the unit inside. Actually, they can walk you through the process of de-winterizing and then winterizing again. It will be good for you to know in the future anyway.

Air pressure is OK, but how do you know the water heater is functioning properly if you just use air.

dkeller wrote:
Does anyone think I would have any issues having them put fresh water in the system for the night with the heat on through the night so we can test and use everything? The underbelly is heated so don't think would be an issue for one night since only going to mid 20's thoughts?

What part of PA are you ? IF the night is only down to the mid 20's and the daytime high is above freezing, you SHOULD be ok.. BUT in my part of PA, SE portion ( Bucks County ) there is a small window this week-
Monday hi-33 low-26 . Tues hi-42 low-30 . wed hi-34 low-20 thur hi-38 low-23. .Fri hi-41 low- 27..

NOW NEXT WEEK is better . . .
Sunday 1/21 hi-53 low 39 . mon hi-60 low- 37 . tue hi 47 low-29 . wed hi-47 low-34 . thur hi-46 low-35
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I am hopefully picking mine up at the end of Feb. and I am going to tell them fill all tanks full of water(black, gray, fresh) and then we will dump the waste and keep the fresh(if they won't then we have a problem) because I am doing a night of camping before I drive back home. Mine is 8 hrs out of state so it has to be right before I leave with it.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
Pressurize the water system with 40# air pressure...if it holds air pressure it will hold water!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze