cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plugging 30amp plug into inverter to power unit?

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully I can explain this correctly. I am running 300 watts of solar with a 2000 watt inverter and was wondering if when boondocking I can plug my main power cord into the inverter to power all of the plugs inside the unit.
I was explained that you had to turn off the breaker to the converter built into the unit to keep from damaging it. But was also told if the Converter breaker in the units breaker box is turned off the outlets wont work.
So question is can I leave all the breakers on inside the fuse panel while I plug the main power cord into the inverter? Don't want to damage anything. I also understand I am limited to what I can use but want to use it for just lights, TV, ETC.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains
21 REPLIES 21

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
1/0 by the foot.. Various colors

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-By-the-Foot-1-0-Black-Stranded-CU-SIMpull-THHN-Wire-20505499/2...

Thanks I will be running larger cables for sure. As far as the load I will be using I will never be using no where near 2000 watts. Just want to run a couple of fans and the TV and not much more. A 1000 watt inverter is all I should need but I got this one from a friend for less than $70 so that is what I am going to go with. He bought it then sold his TT so he did not need it. Thanks again you have been very informative and I greatly appreciate it!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
1/0 by the foot.. Various colors

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-By-the-Foot-1-0-Black-Stranded-CU-SIMpull-THHN-Wire-20505499/2...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Also if your going to run near max watts of the unit like I said the wire supplied with that unit is just for test purposes. I cant find where it says the max size wire that will fit in the lugs.

That wire is too small and probably aluminum..

But if you run 2000 watts thats 166 amps. ( I doubt you have enough batt power and will kill them in short order. Hence why I went with only a 1100 watt inverter. Even that will draw about 90 amps if I max it..

Your batterys will dies a slow death..

For 166 amps you will need to fit 1/0 cable to inverter.

I ran 4 gauge to mine but its only 1100 watts as stated.

http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
Make sure yiu ground the unit from inverter chassis to trailer chassis with #8 wire. ( This is not the same as going to the neg side of battery...

Operation of the inverter without a proper ground connection may result in an electrical safety hazard. Chassis Ground (Grounding) wrote:

Manual

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0951/0284/files/Power_Tech-on_-_USER_MANUAL_-_print_ready.pdf?1719...

Make sure you install the proper sized cables from battery to inverter. Or you will get a large voltage drop.

Also make sure you fuse the pos line with an anl fuse or breaker of at least 175 amps.

It doesn't say if the neutral and ground are bonded.

Do a continuity test. With unit off put probe in ground slot and other in wide neutral slot.

If the unit is bonded then I would lift the ground off the extension coed you make.

This power inverter is designed for use with negative
ground electrical system. Donโ€™t use with positive ground
electrical systems (the majority of modern automobiles,
RVs, trucks, and boats are negative ground).

Will do! Thanks for the input!!!!!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure yiu ground the unit from inverter chassis to trailer chassis with #8 wire. ( This is not the same as going to the neg side of battery...

Operation of the inverter without a proper ground connection may result in an electrical safety hazard. Chassis Ground (Grounding) wrote:

Manual

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0951/0284/files/Power_Tech-on_-_USER_MANUAL_-_print_ready.pdf?1719...

Make sure you install the proper sized cables from battery to inverter. Or you will get a large voltage drop.

Also make sure you fuse the pos line with an anl fuse or breaker of at least 175 amps.

It doesn't say if the neutral and ground are bonded.

Do a continuity test. With unit off put probe in ground slot and other in wide neutral slot.

If the unit is bonded then I would lift the ground off the extension coed you make.

This power inverter is designed for use with negative
ground electrical system. Donโ€™t use with positive ground
electrical systems (the majority of modern automobiles,
RVs, trucks, and boats are negative ground).
Mike L ... N.J.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Solar with inverter"? No DC output at all?

Or is he trying to power 115V outlets from inverter that is connected to battery? If so, he'll need 30A/15A adapter - and yes, battery disconnect should be On, you need 12V for many devices.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
Yes but what inverter? Brand and make...

I have a 1100 watt Krieger inverter and it has a floating neutral..

Sorry about that! It is a Power TechON 2000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter off of Amazon just did not know how to post a link.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Yes but what inverter? Brand and make...

I have a 1100 watt Krieger inverter and it has a floating neutral..
Mike L ... N.J.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
No. The lights run from the battery.

The Manufacturer of the converter/breaker box said if I leave the battery disconnect switch on by the batteries, the power cord plugged into the inverter and turn off the converter breaker it would all work. I am not sure though but once I hook it all up we will see for sure. NOt really sure but I will just have to give it a shot.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
ulvik wrote:
I contacted the manufacturer of our power converter/breaker box and informed them of my situation. I was informed that all I needed to do was turn off the Converter breaker in the breaker box when I would be on solar only and that would close the loop. Then all the outlets and lights should run from the inverter installed to the solar system when the main plug is plugged into the inverter. Going to give it a shot when I get everything installed and I will let everyone know how it turned out. Thanks!

What is the make and model inverter?

I have a WFCO model WF-8955PEC
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
No. The lights run from the battery.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik wrote:
I contacted the manufacturer of our power converter/breaker box and informed them of my situation. I was informed that all I needed to do was turn off the Converter breaker in the breaker box when I would be on solar only and that would close the loop. Then all the outlets and lights should run from the inverter installed to the solar system when the main plug is plugged into the inverter. Going to give it a shot when I get everything installed and I will let everyone know how it turned out. Thanks!

What is the make and model inverter?
Mike L ... N.J.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
The other thing you need to be carful with is the whole type of inverter in regards to nuetral bond.

My inverter has a floating nuetral. If you have one with the bonded nuetral I believe you should lift the ground on the outlet you make for the connection if you go the plug in route like I did...

I am not an electrician but a plumber..

And most electricians I asked have no clue about bonding in a RV and inverters...

Talk to someone and get answers before you connect willy nilly...

Post make and model of inverter
And tell us more on how you want to plug in...
Mike L ... N.J.