cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road Trip advice please

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to plan road trip to west coast week of 3/31 to 4/7. Only have a week, so Class C will stay parked. Kids 14/12. Planning on flight to Vegas then rental car from there headed west to L.A. then possibly south to San Diego?. Question is what to see/do along way and weather at that time of year. Thanks for all suggestions.
13 REPLIES 13

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, nothing to see between LV and LA, especially for kids.

I would head down to San Diego first to experience the Zoo and the beaches. Then head north for Legoland, Disneyland or Universal Studios.
Then head back east to LV.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
San Diego zoo gets high marks. They have a bus tour that minimizes walking.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sights on the road between LA and Vegas are few and fewer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Jerseydevil wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
O.K. For traveling the first week of April from Las Vegas in a car I'd suggest driving through Death Valley Nat'l Park. It will be warm but tolerable. Stay at Furnace Creek a night if you can. Try to attend a ranger program or two... makes it more interesting if you know what you're looking at. ๐Ÿ™‚

In Death Valley take Hwy 190 through the park to Lone Pine, CA on Highway 395. This is where a lot of western movies were made. Stop at the Visitor Center for a map of easy driving through the movie sites. It'll be a very good gravel road and can easily be done in a rental. There's also a good movie museum in town.

If you have time continue north a little way to Bishop, CA on 395. You'll start seeing a different look - green - and there will probably still be snow on the mountaintops so it'll be very pretty. Bishop has a Indian Culture Center.

Then turn around and head back south on 395 again. At Inyokern you could pick up Hwy 178 toward Lake Isabella which will leave you at Bakersfield, CA then work yourself down I-5 to LA for your visit. With the fires and flooding on 101 in that area, unfortunately, it won't be good for touring at the present time.

After your visit in LA and your return back to Las Vegas you could take in Joshua Tree Nat'l Park to Arizona Hwy 95 and then head north toward Lake Havasu along the Colorado River. When you get to Needles and I-40 continue north on 95 to Las Vegas.

I'll let others chime in for what to do from Los Angeles to San Diego. It should perhaps be geared for the kids. Let them offer some suggestions as to what they would like to do.

If your visit ends at San Diego you could head back to Las Vegas via Hwy 78 leading you into Borrego Springs, CA. You'll pass through pretty countryside and stop in Julien for a slice of their famous pie! 78 will end at the Salton Sea which you've probably heard of. It's not worth a separate visit, in my opinion, but as long as you're driving along it check it out. Don't be surprised when you stop to smell the roses you'll smell something else!

From 86 along the Salton Sea north it will take you to I-10. Head east a short distance to Exit 168 and drive through Joshua Tree Nat'l Park. Continue getting back to Las Vegas with my above route to Lake Havasu City, etc. by taking 62 east to Arizona Hwy 95. (Don't take CA 95 - it's not as pretty)

Have a good trip.... it'll be a fast one.
Can you allow a little more time?

Thanks. Good suggestions!

Let me make a totally different suggestion - Fly to SLC - See Utah in April - I'm just not a fan of Calli and not really sure I understand the Mission.

Or Fly to Vegas and Head to Zion and the Big 5.

This is of a 10 day trip which if you are flying out on Friday might just work.

Sorry, but the Drive from Vegas to La is just miserable, IMHO.

Do things the Kids will love, not spending soooooooo much windshield time in Calli Traffic.

JMHO,

If after reading this Blog you don't want to do Utah............ I give up, fits your timeline and in April all will have fun.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
O.K. For traveling the first week of April from Las Vegas in a car I'd suggest driving through Death Valley Nat'l Park. It will be warm but tolerable. Stay at Furnace Creek a night if you can. Try to attend a ranger program or two... makes it more interesting if you know what you're looking at. ๐Ÿ™‚

In Death Valley take Hwy 190 through the park to Lone Pine, CA on Highway 395. This is where a lot of western movies were made. Stop at the Visitor Center for a map of easy driving through the movie sites. It'll be a very good gravel road and can easily be done in a rental. There's also a good movie museum in town.

If you have time continue north a little way to Bishop, CA on 395. You'll start seeing a different look - green - and there will probably still be snow on the mountaintops so it'll be very pretty. Bishop has a Indian Culture Center.

Then turn around and head back south on 395 again. At Inyokern you could pick up Hwy 178 toward Lake Isabella which will leave you at Bakersfield, CA then work yourself down I-5 to LA for your visit. With the fires and flooding on 101 in that area, unfortunately, it won't be good for touring at the present time.

After your visit in LA and your return back to Las Vegas you could take in Joshua Tree Nat'l Park to Arizona Hwy 95 and then head north toward Lake Havasu along the Colorado River. When you get to Needles and I-40 continue north on 95 to Las Vegas.

I'll let others chime in for what to do from Los Angeles to San Diego. It should perhaps be geared for the kids. Let them offer some suggestions as to what they would like to do.

If your visit ends at San Diego you could head back to Las Vegas via Hwy 78 leading you into Borrego Springs, CA. You'll pass through pretty countryside and stop in Julien for a slice of their famous pie! 78 will end at the Salton Sea which you've probably heard of. It's not worth a separate visit, in my opinion, but as long as you're driving along it check it out. Don't be surprised when you stop to smell the roses you'll smell something else!

From 86 along the Salton Sea north it will take you to I-10. Head east a short distance to Exit 168 and drive through Joshua Tree Nat'l Park. Continue getting back to Las Vegas with my above route to Lake Havasu City, etc. by taking 62 east to Arizona Hwy 95. (Don't take CA 95 - it's not as pretty)

Have a good trip.... it'll be a fast one.
Can you allow a little more time?

Thanks. Good suggestions!

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
I don't get it. Why not fly direct to So Cal? The drive from Vegas to LA is nothing special.

Cost savings will pay for rental car and some...Plus more direct nonstop flights available. Most LA flights had detours connecting in other cities...which creates much longer flight.

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
I'm not understanding your timeline.

You're flying to Las Vegas and renting a car to Los Angeles? Where does the RV come into play? Are you looking for something to do from Las Vegas to Los Angeles or for when you get to Los Angeles and doing things with the kids?

"Only have a week, so Class C will stay parked."

Not driving RV was my take. All airplane and rental car.

Correct!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer

Have a good trip.... it'll be a fast one. Can you allow a little more time?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Only a week? Spend it in Vegas, it's a playground. Want to spend some time on the road anyway? Drive out to the dam, it's pretty cool. Red rock canyon is neat as well.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get it. Why not fly direct to So Cal? The drive from Vegas to LA is nothing special.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

You're flying to Las Vegas and renting a car to Los Angeles? Where does the RV come into play? Are you looking for something to do from Las Vegas to Los Angeles or for when you get to Los Angeles and doing things with the kids?

"Only have a week, so Class C will stay parked."

Not driving RV was my take. All airplane and rental car.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

Things to see on road in between Vegas and LA, LA to San Diego, San Diego back to Vegas? Via rental car. Never been to southern Ca.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel