cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Longevity - My experience

map40
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so after 14 different motorhomes, of which 8 were my own rental fleet, I decided to post a few things I learned:
Life expectancy in miles: I have heard several people saying how many miles is too many. Well, I have sold RVs with over 300K miles, rentals, still with the original transmission and engine. Heck, even the factory AC compressor. You may wonder how? Maybe the right maintenance? Well, 3 of my units are Cruise america ex-rentals, one of them I got with 150K and got to 302K miles with no problem.
Transmission: FOLLOW TRANSMISSION MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE!!!! I spent 15 years in the automotive industry and now I am in aerospace. The people that tell you not to service the transmission don't know what they are saying, or they are the ones who will charge you to rebuilt it.
Generators: Onan 4000 microquiet are the only choice for small units, unfortunatly. Their quality has gone down significantly. 7 of my units were brand new, 5 with the 4000W. In ALL they had to change the fuel pump before 500 hours. In ALL they had to change carb before 1000 hours. I have run 4000W to 1800 hours and blew the engine. Meticulously maintained, made no difference. The other Onan, gas or diesel, are much better designed, they will last longer. I have a class A with a 5500 Onan with 3500 hours, no problem. Another note: low use generators are just as bad. Once to get to use them they start to loose systems one by one. Generac: They don't make them anymore. I always had good luck with them, they run better than Onans.
Tires: Put good tires, have them checked. Once you have cracking, tires 7 years old or 40K miles; just change them. If you lose a tire you will damage your RV.

To sum it up, I chose ford in all my units because I know the designers of the powertrain and it is bulletproof. Sprinter or Dodge diesel chassis? Not in a million years. Y spent some time in the Mercedes factory and have seen the cut-away chassis being built. If something goes wrong, you are dead. GM Chassis? Never tried. Diesel pushers? Great RVs, but longevity being better in diesel engines does not affect me, I get 300K with the gas.

Hope it helps!
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls
11 REPLIES 11

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Thanks for posting your experience. Were the Ford engines all on class A's, C's Trucks or a combination? Also were the engines 460's or V10's? Any thoughts of longevity of appliances like refers, WH's, AC's, leveling systems etc.

All the engines are V10. 460s are great, but tend to overheat.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Interesting post,this seems to back up what over 95 members of the Buying A Former Rental thread have encountered as to the Life expectancy in miles, they all seem to have no problem with theirs,

For the drivetrain, a rental may actually be better (for other things not so much). A individual owner model often sits for months at a time. Rental units get used regularly.

Drivetrains like to be used. Seals, gaskets, hoses, etc..., dry out and rot when sitting, sludge has time to settle in passages and solidify.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Were the Ford engines all on class A's, C's Trucks or a combination? Also were the engines 460's or V10's?

The only 2 engines available in Class A or C for the past 30 years were the 460 and the V10.

The 460 went out of production in 1998.

The V10 is a dead man walking and will be replaced soon by the big brother of the 6.2L BOSS V8.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised that there was no specific comments about exterior maintenance.

On a motor home that got a lot of miles per year, I would change the transmission fluid every 100k. Cheap insurance. ONLY USE THE MANUFACTURERS BRAND OF TRANSMISSION FLUID.

Quicker/easier - Drop the pan on your transmission every 50K. I know this only gets 30-60% of the fluid, but this is adequate if you do it often enough. Use one of these ATD Tools 5192 Transmission Drain Funnel

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for posting your experience. Were the Ford engines all on class A's, C's Trucks or a combination? Also were the engines 460's or V10's? Any thoughts of longevity of appliances like refers, WH's, AC's, leveling systems etc.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting post,this seems to back up what over 95 members of the Buying A Former Rental thread have encountered as to the Life expectancy in miles, they all seem to have no problem with theirs, it seems that proper maintenance is the key, Also I agree on the following the transmission maintenance schedule,I have all the records for mine and it has been done and I have continued with it.

The Generators, there doesn't seem to be any that have problems so far and most have over 800 hours,mine has over 900 and I have had no problems.

As far as the Chassis I agree that I would stick with Ford Or Chevy I have had no major problems just Proper maintenance with my Chevy based Class C with over 100000 miles on it

Then there is the tires I agree with your assessment on that, I changed mine out at the 5 year mark to some Very Good Michelins
This post may be a good reference point for the Rental Thread.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Along this same line... consider, 1998 NuWa 38' Champagne, bought new, ordered with numerous changes. Over the years, installed Mor/ryde IS first year, installed solar/inverter 2nd year. Over time,have replaced WH, AC (2), W/D, fresh water tank, fridge, went household, 1 window, faucets, toilets(2), slide wipers, both propane tanks, pigtails and regulator, 2 valves(sewer). Replaced awning last year with auto. Recoated roof with Liquid rubber, oh, repaired Fantastic Fan twice.

Still has same brakes (tow is MDT w/ exhaust brake). Probable anal about maintenance, constantly checking caulk, tires, lights, etc. Trailer still looks good in and out.

Lesson, towables will survive with care.

Jim

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, get a diesel because you need the power not because you think it will last longer or save money on fuel.

Especially with the newer electronically controlled diesels, there isn't going to be much difference in drivetrain lifespan.

Unless you are putting on 50k miles per year, odds are the house will wear out before the drivetrain and any fuel savings are unlikely to negate the up front cost. Just normal manufacturer recommended maintenance should get you north of 250k miles.

This goes for MH or tow vehicles.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is for motorhomes. I have a feeling that most "RV" are towables, i.e. trailers and 5-ers. Maybe in rental sector it's different.

For those other types of RV life is measured in years only, and can be several decades, subject to fridge repairs/replacement and roof recoating (~12-15 years either one). Mostly, depends on climate - can develop bad leak in under a year and destroy the whole box if left unattended. Or can outlast the owner.

Many things need to be fixed/upgraded from the day one, some are more important, some less, too many to list. Motorhome innards (not the engine) often fall in the same category - need upgrades straight from the dealer's lot, though MH owners are usually less enthusiastic about DIY upgrades than towables owners.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
As owner of my private fleet of one x rental and one snowbird trailer:)...

Good post and thanks
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting info. Thanks for posting.