Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV Error 775 (SAGA CONTINUES)

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
DirecTV Genie with TravLer

Last night everything fine. Not touched during the day. Turned it on and get the 775 error.
  • Checked every coax
  • Checked power inserter-have green light
  • swapped power inserter
  • re aimed Travler...at least tried to but it can't find the satellites! Keeps searching. Wide open field and has worked fine for 4 days.

Also pulled power and rebooted HR44-200.

Could it be a bad LNB?
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
41 REPLIES 41

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar issue with Direct and a King Flex. I called Direct a zillion times and even had their tech out; he told me there was no signal from the Flex. I later realized he tested it without power input. in the end, the problem was the Direct receiver. they are always "on" to some degree and creating an amount of heat, if plugged in to a power source. Direct apparently got tired of me and sent me a new receiver..... PROBLEM SOLVED! I now unplug when not actively using the coach. hope this helps. TB
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
In case anyone wants to know in the RV I have a switched power strip with power for the TV, HR44, PI and RF Mogul dish controller. ie One switch for power to everything and it's off when traveling.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill, Does your TV power on with a resolution that is supported by the HR54?

I ask because I know that when I move my HR44 from house/RV it automatically detects the TV resolutions which are both HD and supported but different. This is accomplished with the HDMI connection. ie No channel switching required.

In my case that is a complete power off/on of both TV and receiver. Perhaps you could try that and see if the problem persists instead of leaving the receiver always powered on.

I'm getting the sense from this thread that leaving the receiver on with no sat signal has some minor side effects. That's not something I generally do but one of the great aspects of DVR receivers is the ability to watch recorded shows when in the trees and that works for me as expected.

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have recently had a similar problem with my Genie but it is not Trav'ler related. I have the HR-54 so it might be software related. In any case, I get a message "resolution not supported" and then it goes to the bouncing logo. However, if I just use the remote and change channels a couple of times (channel up 2 times, etc.) the picture pops on and I then go to the desired channel. No more problems. This happens almost every time I turn off the TV as my Harmony remote also turns off the receiver (not shut down as it still records). Maybe I will change that setting and see if that problem goes away.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe the results depend upon the receiver model and the length of time that it has no signal.

Bob

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Both the PI and the receiver are powered by the inverter when traveling. I set up at a campsite and let the Traveler lock onto the satellites. My receiver never gets powered off and will not do anything except display the DirecTV screen saver bouncing across the screen even though the Traveler box says it is locked onto 99/101/103 so, instead of sitting and waiting I push the red button. Maybe if I just sit and wait long enough it may eventually come on. I never tried. I have learned to press the red button before I even try to watch tv

I have had problems in the pre-Traveler days when I was manually setting up the dish. I would get "can't connect to lnb", signal and then realized the receiver has changed to multiswitch on its own. I have had it happen several times through the years. I never had a reason to change it myself, because I use nothing but SWM at home or in the RV.

Had to come back and edit what I said about never using anything but SWM. Back when I had my King Dome I had to set it up as multiswitch and single line. The following may be the only circumstance where the problem occurred.

When going back to the Slimline 3 SWM I would change the setup to SWM and align the Slimline 3. My alignment meter would tell me that I had all good signals and would come back inside to see that the receiver could not find the LNB. That's when I would find that the DVR had switched itself back to legacy. The same thing occurred when going the other way, i.e. SWM to the Dome.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
My receivers are never off and I have never had to reset a receiver after the Trav'ler finds the satellite. Now, that means the receivers are also on while traveling so maybe you mean that your receiver(s) are off while traveling and turn them and the Trav'ler on at the same time. Is that it?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
mikestock wrote:
If my receiver is on while the Traveler is finding the satellites I always have to reboot before it works.

My HR44 receiver waits for the dish, rarely more than 3 minutes and at times less.

Also, and you probably already checked, I have had my receiver reset itself from SWM to multiswitch, causing this error, 775 (I think). The receiver doesn't see the LNB, in this case.

I haven't experienced any receiver status changes and I don't recall any with my prior HR24 (which has both multiswitch and SWM).

It's worth noting that the boot time for the HR44 is significantly less than the HR24.

Bob

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
If my receiver is on while the Traveler is finding the satellites I always have to reboot before it works.

Also, and you probably already checked, I have had my receiver reset itself from SWM to multiswitch, causing this error, 775 (I think). The receiver doesn't see the LNB, in this case.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't want anyone to think I posted and disappeared. We've been on the road a lot so trouble shooting has been delayed. Changed Coax where possible. Had 27 volts everywhere it is supposed to be. Changed the LNB.

Gave up and called Winegard. Very nice and knowledgeable lady had me do tests and had me take pictures of the arm. Her colleagues didn't like how it looked so they sent me a new arm assembly: everything from where it mounts to the turret on one end and the LNB on the other. No joy. 775 and the antenna searches and searches.

They discussed it and (as Bill predicted) decided to send me a new turret. It is on the way. I hope to get it mounted before next Wed when we move again. Hope this works.

Oh, it is under warranty. No charge for anything. They paying to send the current turret back. I'm very happy with Winegard. I'll update when turret installed.
Hickory, NC

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just replacing cables. Start with the cable from the LNB to the turret.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
That is a message that indicates that either you have a bad coax or the antenna is going to need to be returned to Winegard for repair/replacement of the electronics inside the base.
That's one reason I prefer the RF Mogul dish. The electronics are inside a nice easy to reach dry cabinet. About the only thing on the roof is motors and gears. And it's not necessary to send the dish in for repairs.

Bob

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bill. Hope it is coax.

Can you suggest a disciplined way to check the coax? Start where? Check for voltage and/or resistance? Etc?
Hickory, NC

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a message that indicates that either you have a bad coax or the antenna is going to need to be returned to Winegard for repair/replacement of the electronics inside the base.