cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, broke down-.over heating Cat 350 near Needles CA

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
We are being towed to Needles. Looking for a recommendation for repairs.

We suddenly started to overheat going up the pass on I40 east of Ludlow CA. It looks like we may have lost a belt as it isn’t blowing much air out the back of the rad.

We have been on the road for the past 3 days traveling from Vancouver BC. To Quartzsite. MH has run great to this point.

No water coming out. Went into engin protect mode. We are currently on the side of I40 waiting for a tow truck.

MH is a 38 ft diesel pusher. Rear rad. 350 C7 cat

Traveling with my 84 year old dad. Any help would be appreciated.

On edit. Radiator was removed and service. New turbo installed a year ago. All fluids changed. For the past 1200 miles the temp has sat steady at 198. Even over the passes. Thanks
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat
2002 Ford Explorer, drag along
3 Standard Poodles 1 Mini Poodle
Vancouver Island BC, Canada
41 REPLIES 41

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Teacher's Pet wrote:
If it's rear radiator like our Tiffin it's about a $1000 repair due to taking several men (3) and removing the air-filter and sometimes the muffler to get to the belt through from the side, bedroom and from the bottom to thread the belt. Have had two changed, $970 1st time at a Freightliner shop $1005 the second time at an independent repair center. If I ever upgrade it will be to a side radiator coach.

Wow glad I have a side radiator
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Trouble with some of the parts lists anymore is, the shops replace everything so they don't get blamed for the next break down on a part that is reinstalled. About 6 hours labor is most likely not bad, as getting to from top or bottom is a pain. Good luck, sitting with the Monaco group in Quartzsite La Posa south, about 16-18 rigs here now.

LEN

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Diplomat_St_Poodles wrote:
Scott.
I have the parts list so I will check it out. You are likely correct. FYI the pulls was around $250, if I get a chance I will post a pic of the invoice with the parts list.

Tempest.

Hey Tempest,
Thanks for getting back to me on this. If you haven't been to Quartzsite before, for the big event, it's pretty cool. We've been oh, about 8-9 times or so, maybe more. After a while, it get's to be monotonous but, you'll enjoy it. The big tent for the most part, gets too darn crowded for us. Lots of stuff to do and see and, of course, BUY!

We'd be down there with you (somewhat nearby) but, as stated earlier in this thread, I've got the back end of the coach apart so I can replace MY fan hub bearing and, water pump and a few other goodies. Maybe next year. By the way, I'm assuming you meant PULLEY, not "Pulls".
Scott

My late husband and I used to spent some time in Q till we bought a house in Phoenix. This is the first time I’ve been back for a couple of years. My Dad used to come with my Mom 30 years ago.

Yes I meant pulley 🙂

Tempest
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

MrWizard
Good to see you on the road
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Scott.
I have the parts list so I will check it out. You are likely correct. FYI the pulls was around $250, if I get a chance I will post a pic of the invoice with the parts list.

Tempest.

Hey Tempest,
Thanks for getting back to me on this. If you haven't been to Quartzsite before, for the big event, it's pretty cool. We've been oh, about 8-9 times or so, maybe more. After a while, it get's to be monotonous but, you'll enjoy it. The big tent for the most part, gets too darn crowded for us. Lots of stuff to do and see and, of course, BUY!

We'd be down there with you (somewhat nearby) but, as stated earlier in this thread, I've got the back end of the coach apart so I can replace MY fan hub bearing and, water pump and a few other goodies. Maybe next year. By the way, I'm assuming you meant PULLEY, not "Pulls".
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
Scott.

Tempest.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
Gottahaveit wrote:
Glad to hear your back up and running! We r in Q now and the weather is awesome. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Gottahaveit.

Dad and I are camped at the LTV near the big tent. We enjoyed a great sunny day yesterday.
Only glitch in the coach is the one of our 3 Big Foot Leveling jacks did not deploy. Sigh.... Always something :). LOL. first world problem.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

Gottahaveit
Glad to hear your back up and running! We r in Q now and the weather is awesome. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Scott, Brett and everyone for your feedback.

I will have to confess I am totally un-mechanical. My late husband was in charge of that end of the MH. So I am not sure if the bearing is sealed or greasable. I will check the invoice and see if it says anything.

The access to the motor is terrible. Just getting the cover off under the bed is ridiculous. The access panel is not very big.

Now the good part is that the parts came in overnight. Arrived by 9:30 this AM. Was reassembled in a couple of hours. Took it out for a test drive. All seems great. Headed out to Quartzsite around noon. Everything seems good now.

Parts and shipping $899. I also had them replace the air filter while they were in there. That was included in the parts cost. Total with labour and taxes $1,660.

I have to say the service at Great West Truck in Needles was very good. They let us stay in the MH as we had our dogs with us and gave us power. They were efficient and the total cost was $80 less then the quote. So I have no complaints.

On edit FYI there are 108,000 miles on the motorhome.

Diplomat_St_Poodles,
Well, that's nice they got you all buttoned up and, you're moving along. Even those of us that ARE mechanically inclined, and have been wrenching since we were pups, breaking down is no fun. We really don't buy these rolling Kleenex boxes to work on, just have fun in them. But, it happens, (break-downs that is). So for those that are not quite as "schooled" in the grease monkey stuff, I can surely see the sense of feeling helpless.

As for your particular parts that were installed, I'm listing below, two different bearing retainers. Those are the main housing that holds your fan bearing in place. One, normally found on pre-2004 CAT engines, namely the 3126 model CATS, will have the fan bearing housing that has a zerk fitting in it, making it a lubable fan bearing.

CAT introduced the "C-7" version in or around Oct of '03 and those were destined for '04 and later coaches. They came in 330HP and like yours, a 350HP. CAT felt that since there was a high possibility of folks NOT LUBING the versions with the zerk, they decided it was time for a change. So, they came up with a "sealed" bearing that is installed in all C-7s, 330 or 350.

However, just because it's a sealed bearing, doesn't mean it's a PERMANENT. Many are documented as failed. The mileage at when they fail, is all over the board. Some as early as in the 30-35K range while others, say, in my case, I'm presently at 81K miles and mine is still spinning freely. I'm replacing it anyways.

So, to the point. If you'd like to know which they installed, and, you have an invoice telling you the part numbers of the components installed, here's the two part numbers for the lubable and, non-lubable. In my opinion, I'd bet my house that, since your running a 350HP C-7 CAT, they ordered and installed, the non-lube type, just like what was in there.
Scott

Lube type: 134-5690
Non lube type: 226-7914
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure if the bearing is sealed or greasable. I will check the invoice and see if it says anything.

Glad you are back on the road.

It IS important that you find out which they installed-- if it is greasable, that will have to be greased when you have the rest of the chassis greased.

Pull out your invoice and either go to any Caterpillar dealer OR call the Caterpillar Corporate RV Hotline at 877 777-3126. They can tell you whether the housing is sealed or has a grease zirk.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Price seems very reasonable to me. Glad your back on the road.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear. It is never fun to have trouble. It helps when you can get it fixed. Good Luck with the results.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer

I will have to confess I am totally un-mechanical. My late husband was in charge of that end of the MH. So I am not sure if the bearing is sealed or greasable. I will check the invoice and see if it says anything.

The access to the motor is terrible. Just getting the cover off under the bed is ridiculous. The access panel is not very big.

Now the good part is that the parts came in overnight. Arrived by 9:30 this AM. Was reassembled in a couple of hours. Took it out for a test drive. All seems great. Headed out to Quartzsite around noon. Everything seems good now.

Parts and shipping $899. I also had them replace the air filter while they were in there. That was included in the parts cost. Total with labour and taxes $1,660.

I have to say the service at Great West Truck in Needles was very good. They let us stay in the MH as we had our dogs with us and gave us power. They were efficient and the total cost was $80 less then the quote. So I have no complaints.

On edit FYI there are 108,000 miles on the motorhome.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Just put it in and go. Sounds about right costwise and they will get you rolling. Cat 350s are famouse for eating hubs.