cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missula, MT on US 12 to Lewiston/Clarkston, WA

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a trip, I normally try to stay on approved Motor Carriers routes, and I use a motor carrier road atlas, however 90% of the subject route is not approved for US motor carriers.

Has anyone driven this route?

Will my 38' class "A" and tow be able to drive this route?

All paper maps I have show 2 lane paved road. Am I missing something important?

Thanks for your help.

G George
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
12 REPLIES 12

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that Idaho State parks has change their policies on Towed vehicles. They now charge $7 a night for the toad.
Wildmanbaker

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
At Lewiston the place to stay is Hell's Gate State Park. It has gorgeous big shade trees and if your trip is in the summer you'll appreciate them. It's on the Snake River and the tours leave from that area.

https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/hells-gate
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the comments. I can not wait for this trip to begin.
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
This route was used by Lewis and Clark they had a lot of problems but it has been upgraded since then.
Jesseannie

wnytaxman
Explorer
Explorer
The first time I drove this route was way back in 1966 when I took a summer job in Lewiston and lived in Clarkston. It was an interesting drive for a guy who had never been any further west than Missouri.

Of all the drives I have taken with the motorhome, this one is one of my favorites. As others have said, it is windy and not a road to take if you are looking to make time, but it is a very scenic drive. We were through there a few years ago and got caught in a traffic jam when a semi rolled over. It blocked both lanes so we pulled out the chairs and a table and played cards next to the river. Another guy pulled out a butterfly net and went down next to the river to catch butterflies.

When you get to Clarkston, check out the Granite Lake Campground. It's a very nice campground right on the banks of Granite Lake of the Snake River. If you get a chance, take the jet boat ride up into Hell's Canyon. It's an all day affair but well worth it and a hoot.
2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order, 2011 Berkshire 390BH traded

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a great route along the Lochsa river and is also the route Lewis and Clark took over Lolo Pass. There is a campground Powell near the ranger station at milepost 162 that has a few large pull-through sites. There is a good restaurant across the road that has a great outside deck.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
Our current 40' 5'er lives in Clarkston and gets its servicing done in Missoula so we have been this route multiple times in the last 24 months. Hwy has been lumpy in areas on the west side of Lolo however the state of ID DOT continues to work on it in the summer. As others have said, very scenic, very twisty on the west side as it follows the river next to the road. Nice rest area at the summit of Lolo Pass with restrooms and a visitors center. Huge parking lot with spaces for large RV's on the east side of the lot. Watch for moose on the east side once you get back down on the flats from descending the pass. There a couple nice cafe's to eat at on the west side down on the flats that we have enjoyed meals at and visited with the locals.

Depending on the time of year there can be tons of folks visiting the area in the spring when the snow melt swells the river making it popular with kyakers and other water enthusiests trying not to drown in the hughe swells and white water areas of the river. So they can be everywhere parking where they can on the edge of the road. Most use pull outs but not all.

If you're not in a hurry there is a nice walking trail out behind the Lolo Pass summit visitor center that makes a nice relaxing walk to limber up from sitting while driving. We did it one trip. Also on one trip it was snowing and folks were unloading and departing on their snowmobiles to head out on a trail that departs from the summit parking lot.

I can say with certainty the road on the east side of the summit (state boarder) is much better then the west side of Hwy 12. But all in all it's an enoyable drive especially if the weather is nice. One trip there was an active wildfire on the flats of the east side. Hwy had been closed however the fire had burned through and the Hwy had reopened to the public but there was lots of fire related vehicle traffic for about 15 miles and restricted speed was 35 mph.

George
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rarely do we use the freeways, only back roads. We did the exact same route a few years ago with no problems whatsoever. You'll enjoy the trip it you take your time to do so. Don't be in a hurry and be considerate of the drivers behind you. Also, I wouldn't go in the winter due to rain and snow.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 12 was a favorite of ours with our 40' motorhome towing. It's extremely beautiful but is twisty. However, there aren't hills.... it mostly follows the river. The only hill is Lolo Pass and we've done much worse. It's not bad at all.

We never used the Motor Carrier atlas - too restrictive.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your help.
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
US 12 between Missoula and Lewiston is a good twisty two lane road for most parts. Westbound has a steep downgrade west of Lolo Pass. Very good scenic road. Do not expect to do highway speeds in your rig. Watch the signs!
Verify fuel at junction of US 93 and US 12. Couple good stations for easy in and out.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
We drove this route in a 35 foot Class A Gasser pulling a toad. Cannot remember anything unusual about the drive except there are no filling stations but that is not a problem when you have a full tank at start. As far as I can remember a good road that follows a river valley, lots of twists and turns.