cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Campground recommendations for SC in March

FordsForMe
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a place to spend 5 nights in early March in South Carolina. I don’t really care where but we really like the state park feel. We like big open private sites. We are looking for a place where we can book 2 sites side by side that back onto a park for the kids to play in where we can see them from our site. Electric is the only need and it has to be big trailer friendly (36 feet tongue to tail). I know it’s fairly particular so I am hoping folks here know or some places that fit the bill. It will save me some online search time.

Thanks
1992 Dutchmen 220 - gone
2000 Springdale 250bhl - gone
2016 Jayco Jayflight 32bhds
2012 Sierra 2500 HD - gone
2011 F350 Lariat SRW
11 REPLIES 11

FordsForMe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback. Myrtle Beach State Park is booked. Could not get sites overlooking at park, but everything else seems pretty good.
1992 Dutchmen 220 - gone
2011 F350 Lariat SRW

terrytrailertra
Explorer
Explorer
We live in SC, and I agree with all the previous posts. These are all great recommendations. Paris Mountain is a little tight for our comfort, but it is a nice park. That time of year, Myrtle Beach SP. and Huntington Beach SP will have great nature and arts/crafts programs that your kids will enjoy. These coastal parks will also be more likely to have milder weather in early March. James Island County park is awesome too. It can get pretty chilly inland that time of year so I would be more likely to recommend the coastal parks. If the chance of cold weather doesn’t bother you I would also recommend Oconee SP. It has a great playground, putt putt, and lakes with boat rentals. It is one of our favorites for keeping kids happy.
17 Keystone Sprinter
'17 Dodge Ram
DH, DD-15, DS-12, and Me (Mom)

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
Dreher Island should be a nice fit for your requirements except 2 sites overlooking playground. The sites are spacious and wooded but relatively spaced out.

It is close enough to Columbia for a day trip to Riverbanks Zoo and Garden. That is a good size park for the 7 & 4 year old - not huge but several chances to interact with some animals like feeding the giraffes & lorikeets.
CarriGo
Model 2320

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Myrtle Beach State park a couple years ago and it was pretty nice. I'd go back again without hesitation. Also checked Hundington Beach State Park and would like to try that as well. We camp at State Parks here in PA almost exclusively and theirs are pretty nice.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

FordsForMe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies so far. Just to add a bit more detail ... we really do not care about proximity to things like restaurants or shopping. Just things in the park to keep our 3 young boys (7,4,2) occupied which is why the playground is needed.
1992 Dutchmen 220 - gone
2011 F350 Lariat SRW

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.ccprc.com/1434/Campground
James Island County Park
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
We like Huntington Beach State Park

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Huntington Beach State park is right by the ocean. They have a nice camp store. Some sites are isolated,some are more open. Some have FHU ,some water and electric. Short walk to the beach. They have very good nature programs too. You are just down the road from Murrel's Inlet and have some nice restaurants.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Myrtle Beach state park has a playground that and I think some sites back up to it, call the park to verify.

If looking for someplace away from the beach, check out Lake Wateree State Park north of Columbia. They have plenty of huge sites, some back up to open areas where the kids can play (not a play ground as such but open area for playing). There is a playground close to the picnic area though. This is not the place if you want restaurants or shopping nearby. Nice walking trail, plenty of trees, good sized sites. (30 amp only though).
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We really enjoy Paris Mountain State Park in Greenville, SC. We usually go mid-March for a Home School Conference in Greenville. There are a handful of sites that won't handle large rigs, but there are plenty that would fit our 32' Class C motorhome. There are always larger rigs too.

There is no playground at the camp sites, but sites most sites from site 18 through 31 back up to a fairly open forest area where kids can safely play (except sites 19, 24 & 26). Most of these sites are very large. We stayed in site 20 last year and it was one of our favorites. It's massive and faces due west into the mountain. There are lots of hiking trails throughout the state park. The site descriptions are pretty accurate, except for site 20. It says 23' Pull Through, but our 32' Class C fit just fine.

One of the down sides to this park is a lot of the sites are not level, so bring lots of blocks or wood to get level.

There is lots of stuff to do in and around Greenville.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

samsphones
Explorer
Explorer
Nice state park at Santee