cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campsite reservations

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
We just made our reservations for Banff and Jasper for late May 2018. We usually do not make reservations in advance and just fly by the seat of our pants. But this trip seems different, especially the Banff area.

I was wondering if it is necessary to make reservations for the private cgโ€™s and provincial parks in BC? We just donโ€™t have a firm itinerary for BC and the Yukon and likely will not have until actually in the area. The same applies to Alaska. So can we get by without reservations in most areas at least until a few days prior to expected arrival or do we have to nail them down well in advance?
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley
12 REPLIES 12

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
georgelesly...here is my E mail....we are home till mid-September.

hauptgw@gmail.com

Gary

Thanks so much, will be in touch!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesly...here is my E mail....we are home till mid-September.

hauptgw@gmail.com

Gary
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
georgelesley wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
georgelesly...and we are just about to arrive in the great state of Tennessee! Flying into Memphis the end of this month.

Reservations...I can only speak for BC...there are so many places to toss out the anchor for a night that if you aren't finding a campground you like? Find a rest area or a lake or a river bank. Or a shopping mall if you want wifi. Look for Save-On stores. You won''t be bothered where-ever you park.

If you find yourselves in the Okanagan Valley..Penticton to be exact, give me a shout. We have a long curb.

Gary Haupt

Gary careful what you wish for.... Welcome to the Volunteer state. Too bad we are at the other end of it, about 8 hrs driving from Memphis. Thx for the hints. Should you find yourselves in Eastern Tennessee, you have a place to park with 30 amp svc and tea, coffe or adult beverage.

Hmmmm, I just noted your liking for craft breweries. Well we have the brew trail here in east TN and VA. I am a IPA guy myself, but am always open to exploring new adventures....

We have four craft houses here in town. Yep, a good IPA is my choice too. Don't be shy...the Okanagan Valley is wineries, brews and distilleries, pillar to post. Thanks for the offer...we are leaving the RV at home and flying. My boss can't be away from her office for the time that would require.

I note you are doing Alaska too....maybe come by on your way downhill. You'll be thirsty. We can set you up on the Channel for a day float..beer in coolers of course.

Gary

Deal cya in mid/late July.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
georgelesley wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
georgelesly...and we are just about to arrive in the great state of Tennessee! Flying into Memphis the end of this month.

Reservations...I can only speak for BC...there are so many places to toss out the anchor for a night that if you aren't finding a campground you like? Find a rest area or a lake or a river bank. Or a shopping mall if you want wifi. Look for Save-On stores. You won''t be bothered where-ever you park.

If you find yourselves in the Okanagan Valley..Penticton to be exact, give me a shout. We have a long curb.

Gary Haupt

Deal. Cya in mid/late July.

Gary careful what you wish for.... Welcome to the Volunteer state. Too bad we are at the other end of it, about 8 hrs driving from Memphis. Thx for the hints. Should you find yourselves in Eastern Tennessee, you have a place to park with 30 amp svc and tea, coffe or adult beverage.

Hmmmm, I just noted your liking for craft breweries. Well we have the brew trail here in east TN and VA. I am a IPA guy myself, but am always open to exploring new adventures....

We have four craft houses here in town. Yep, a good IPA is my choice too. Don't be shy...the Okanagan Valley is wineries, brews and distilleries, pillar to post. Thanks for the offer...we are leaving the RV at home and flying. My boss can't be away from her office for the time that would require.

I note you are doing Alaska too....maybe come by on your way downhill. You'll be thirsty. We can set you up on the Channel for a day float..beer in coolers of course.

Gary

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

Gary

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer

Gary Haupt

Willow13
Explorer
Explorer
In 2017 we made reservations for Banff, Jasper and July 4th. At six weeks out it wasn't easy to find a site for July 4th. For the rest of the trip our reservations were made by calling ahead in the morning for that night.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
On my trip to Alaska, the only reservations I made ahead of time were for Lake Louise and Denali NP Tek campground. Lake Louise was a few days ahead of time, and I was pretty fortunate to get it as it had rather obviously been a cancellation: it was the only site available anywhere near Banff for quite a span of time. Denali was maybe a week and a half in advance and was getting towards filling up when I made it.

The only places I had any hint of trouble finding a site besides these were Jasper (stayed in overflow camping, which has a great deal of space but limited privacy and amenities) and once in Fairbanks (wanted a place with an RV wash after going over the Dalton Highway), and Dawson City (happened to get there when a music festival was in town, sites were very nearly gone when I got one in town).

In general, you don't have to go a long time in advance, and rarely at all in advance if you're a little bit flexible. I'm not sure how many of the provincial or state parks accept reservations; it's certainly not all of them.

If you don't have a copy, I heartily recommend Churchs' book ("Traveller's Guide to Alaskan Camping") which I found very complete and well-organized and unusually good reading for a campground guidebook.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
We did not have any problems getting a campsite on our last trip through the Rockies. Sometimes dump station and water only at the entrance and 15 amp electric. The only time we couldn't get a campsite was in Jasper NP on the July 1/4 holiday weekend, however Parks Canada did open up a huge overflow site, capable of holding hundreds of RVs. No hookups, but that's why we have an RV.
In short, 6 weeks from June to August, no problems getting a site, sometimes not ideal (for some) but always had a safe place to spend a night.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Seat of the pants worked for me, mid May 2013.

Given the winter we're having this year, it's going to be pretty snowy in the Canadian Rockies this spring I'm guessing.

BC provincial parks were not empty but not crowded either.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
IMO you wonโ€™t need reservations in May in Alberta and BC. Bring a couple of shovels to dig out your campsite however...just in case.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad