cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling accessories?

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
My garage seems to be accumulating things from past/current RV's that I no longer use and should be sold.
None of them do I really want to figure out how to pack up for shipping. It would seem paying someone (UPS store, etc) to pack, and then pay for shipping, would be outrageous for these large/heavy items.

So besides Craigslist, any other suggestions on how to find a new owner?
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
24 REPLIES 24

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd505 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Though it sounds good: "Steven Nardizzi has been the Wounded Warrior Project CEO since 2009. In 2014 he was paid $496,415". You might want to rescind the statement: "Their CEO s don't get large salaries." Slimeballs are everywhere, and will take advantage of anyone.

Steven Nardizzi and Al Giordano fired
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/10/steven-nardizzi-al-giordano-fired-wounded-warrior-/
Good to hear. Darn shame it took so long, and a newspaper story to get the job done.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Though it sounds good: "Steven Nardizzi has been the Wounded Warrior Project CEO since 2009. In 2014 he was paid $496,415". You might want to rescind the statement: "Their CEO s don't get large salaries." Slimeballs are everywhere, and will take advantage of anyone.

Steven Nardizzi and Al Giordano fired
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/10/steven-nardizzi-al-giordano-fired-wounded-warrior-/
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Look up the CG's in your area. Print up a sheet of all what you are selling and post it in the CG office and bathroom.

They will be RV'ers who know what they are worth AND they will be close enough to come pick them up no shipping on your part.

I have sold all my RV stuff this way.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flapper wrote:
Good tips! As far as scrap value...well, it was a $1200 piece of metal when new, only used 3 yrs, and the offer was $25...so not a viable offer. An order of magnitude more, and it would have left my garage pretty quickly.

Somebody was fishing to "resale" for a profit, can't be helped, it is what it is.

If it has initials of H and A, try contacting them, they used to buy back and rebuild them then resell as a refurb at a good price..

If it is a H and A, you ARE looking at an extremely small market of buyers, most folks won't spend for that item..

One of the big problems you will run into is you can't offer any warranty. For some folk, not a problem, for others they want the sky in promises that things you sell will work forever..

Ran into that many years ago working in a TV repair shop.. Used to take the leftovers (TVs, Stereos, VCRs)that folks abandoned, repair them then take to a local flee-market..

Wasn't asking anywhere new prices, just enough to cover my time and cost of parts.. Had one smarty that wanted a 19" TV that I was asking $50 and they offered for $25 AND a "warranty" on the entire set to go with it :M

Needless to say, that person did not buy the set, but someone else eventually bought it.

Sometimes people can be stupid.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Good tips! As far as scrap value...well, it was a $1200 piece of metal when new, only used 3 yrs, and the offer was $25...so not a viable offer. An order of magnitude more, and it would have left my garage pretty quickly.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flapper wrote:
Well! I seem to have edged too close to the line and got edited in my original post, which specifically named some of the objects. So imagine, if you will, a pretty large, really heavy, metal thing that mounted in or on a truck, as an example.

Not the kind of thing a tent camper would be randomly looking for. Or something I can drop in either a collection box or unload at a drop off center. Had one of these undescribed things on craigslist for a long time, and only one offer that was far below scrap yard value. So looking to better target the local RV market.

Do RV dealers buy used/great condition items? I'd like some return, but it doesn't bother me that they would buy pretty low and resell higher.

Posting names of things here that you want to sell can give the looks that you are trying to get around the forum rules..

Most likely the items you posted on CL for a long time were priced way to high. Folks ARE looking for "deals" and what you deem as "scrap prices" that one contact offered most likely IS the value of the item.

Sorry, that just happens to be the way RV related items are.

Something you can do however is to list the items in a DIFFERENT SECTION of your local CL..

Instead of listing it in RVs section list in the GENERAL section, that sometimes works wonders in selling items since some sections like RVs gets polluted with RV dealers hogging the RV section with ads for new trailers.. Just not worth the effort of scrolling through several pages of hundreds of dealer ads (yeah, they are supposed to post in the dealer section, but they don't always follow the rules)..

I have done that with many things like tools and such.

CL also takes time, sometimes it may take a few months before someone responds to an ad so be patient and perhaps rethink your value you placed on your item, most likely it isn't worth as much as you wish..

Depending on what you are trying to sell, sometimes there just is not ANY "market" need for anyone wanting to buy it..

IE, say for example WD systems, most anyone that has bought a trailer AND needed one, bought it at the time of purchase.. In this case, you might be stuck with a piece of scrap.. The only way to sell that would be to sell it for dirt cheap (IE, new price was $600, used price say $75 or less)..

A real life example I can relate to is at one time I bought a Chinese knockoff small 2Kw portable non inverter gen on sale for $199, had it for 5 yrs, used it twice..

Decided to sell it, tried $125, no dice, tried $100 no dice, $75, SOLD. I got rid of a non used item, recovered a couple of bucks and the buyer got a great deal and something they could use.

As far as RV dealers buying it used, yeah, fat chance on that, if they did that they would look like a junk yard of other RV owners castoff junk. Doesn't hurt to ask but don't expect anything there..

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
You might want to rethink Wounded Warriors. Though it sounds good: "Steven Nardizzi has been the Wounded Warrior Project CEO since 2009. In 2014 he was paid $496,415". You might want to rescind the statement: "Their CEO s don't get large salaries." Slimeballs are everywhere, and will take advantage of anyone.

rk911 wrote:
you might want to do some re-thinking yourself. Nardizzi is a past CEO but he was tossed. the current CEO, Michael S. Linnington, takes no salary...none.

Nardizzi probably tripped over his $496,415 salary and retired early on a full pension. :R I agree, slimeballs are everywhere - my wife manages the local office of a Canada wide service organization that relies heavily on non-paid volunteers to function. We know for a fact there are quite few senior executives making hundreds of thousands, the CEO as I recall just under 1/2 million, while those few paid employees within the organization are paid tens of thousands less than those doing similar work in private business. Who's kidding who here, there are a lot of people making a lot of money in these organizations at the expense of those who actually do the work day in and day out. Donating may sound good on the surface but there's a dark side to these organizations as well. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
rk911 wrote:
okoboji fan wrote:
How about donating to the various veterans organizations ? Their CEO s don't get large salaries. FOr those who fought for it, FREEDOM has a special meaning the protected will never know !

donating cash to Fisher House, DAV, Wounded Warriors, Operation Homefront and many more is absolutely worthwhile. but iโ€™m not aware of that any of them will take old but serviceable clothing, household items and the like. we donated many many items from my late mom-in-lawโ€™s house and storage locker to Goodwill and as we downsize Goodwill is our go-to place for our discards.
You might want to rethink Wounded Warriors. Though it sounds good: "Steven Nardizzi has been the Wounded Warrior Project CEO since 2009. In 2014 he was paid $496,415". You might want to rescind the statement: "Their CEO s don't get large salaries." Slimeballs are everywhere, and will take advantage of anyone.

you might want to do some re-thinking yourself. Nardizzi is a past CEO but he was tossed. the current CEO, Michael S. Linnington, takes no salary...none.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Well! I seem to have edged too close to the line and got edited in my original post, which specifically named some of the objects. So imagine, if you will, a pretty large, really heavy, metal thing that mounted in or on a truck, as an example.

Not the kind of thing a tent camper would be randomly looking for. Or something I can drop in either a collection box or unload at a drop off center. Had one of these undescribed things on craigslist for a long time, and only one offer that was far below scrap yard value. So looking to better target the local RV market.

Do RV dealers buy used/great condition items? I'd like some return, but it doesn't bother me that they would buy pretty low and resell higher.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I have never "sold" any used RV accessory, and we've accumulated a LOT of stuff over the years. The biggest noticeable accumulation is when we purchase a new camper and discard unused items. It has been our practice to bring along an item or two with us camping, and then I scour the campground and find some else camping there, if that be tent or RV, and try to determine if they could benefit from my item. If I think they could, I approach them and simply give it to them as a gift. I've had many, many tent campers almost break down and cry, giving them unneeded sleeping bags, tarps, the little 1 pound propane canisters, cooking utensils, even all of our cast iron skillets we no longer use.

We've given away 2 different RV covers, all our old Coleman camp stove equipment, and ALL our DishTV satallite equipment, including tripod, Tailgater, wire, receiver, everything.

The list goes on and on. But nothing we needed or wanted any longer. So why not share with some who can benefit! The good Lord blessed and provided for us, it's OK to share the blessing on to someone else.

Maybe I'm different, but for us, we've gotten our money's worth from the item. It's served it's usefulness and I'm completely satisfied. I have no desire to haggle trying to get a few bucks out of something. When I want to get rid of something, I just get rid of it. And camping folks, especially folks who are new to the experience, are overwhelmed and sometimes so speechless at some of the simplest "gifts" given to them.

It goes without saying, our house hold items we no longer need or want or use, all go to GoodWill. I imagine, we've giving away many thousands of dollars of "stuff" and each item given was given with thought and love.

That's something money can never provide.

My suggestion, just give it to someone needy the next time you go camping.

You are better off giving it to the needy than giving it to Goodwill.

When you give it to Goodwill you give it to someone that is selling it to someone that wants it.

Theguy that owns goodwill is making money, in my opinion youโ€™re better off giving it to the needy.

You might as well just give it to your neighbor and let them sell it, itโ€™s about the same as giving it to Goodwill.

:R

I have a couple of relatives that think exactly like you.

That is a sad outlook in life to say the least.

Yes, the CEO of Goodwill does "make money", but so does pretty much EVERY OTHER CEO/Head of "other" helpful organizations.

Yes, GoodWills CEO makes a lot of money, so what, they DO HELP many other people and communities in the process.

Consider this, GoodWill also employs many people that by most companies "standards" are considered "unemployable".

They also do not excessively markup the items, you can easily fill up a entire closet for $50, $50 in a retail store barely gets you one pair a ripped up "designer" jeans.

They make some money, they pay employees (many would not have a job if it wasn't for GoodWill), they pay the store bills, they pay costs to operate the entire organization, and yeah, they pay a CEO..

They provide low cost clothing and goods for your community which would not be available for those who could not otherwise afford to buy clothing and goods.

As far as the OPs question, it is yours to do what you want, your choice.

Give it away.

Sell it.

As far as Craigslist, price it REASONABLY and it will eventually sell.

Many people try to over price things and it just sits.

The stuff is used, price it accordingly.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a heads up, this forum is pretty darn nice when it comes to trying or seeming to offer things for sale. They will edit your post and send you a nice note saying not to advertise anything for sale.

Another site will right off the bat give you a warning and time off the site then second offense a bit longer then you are DONE. Especially if the Moderator has a issue with being proven wrong!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
"You might as well just give it to your neighbor and let them sell it, itโ€™s about the same as giving it to Goodwill."

Actually, before we "get rid" of anything, I have my list of close family and friends and neighbors I always call first to see if they want anything. If they want anything, they get first dibs. After everyone is exhausted, (if it's a house hold item and not a camping item), it then goes to GoodWill. What GoodWill does with it ... I absolutely don't care! I really don't. The next option is the trash dumpster.

The thing is ... I don't like to haggle over trying to resell items I no longer need or want or have any use for.

But camping items are a bit different. I have found, there is ALWAYS someone in a campground that will take anything off your hands, if it's a camping accessory.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I have never "sold" any used RV accessory, and we've accumulated a LOT of stuff over the years. The biggest noticeable accumulation is when we purchase a new camper and discard unused items. It has been our practice to bring along an item or two with us camping, and then I scour the campground and find some else camping there, if that be tent or RV, and try to determine if they could benefit from my item. If I think they could, I approach them and simply give it to them as a gift. I've had many, many tent campers almost break down and cry, giving them unneeded sleeping bags, tarps, the little 1 pound propane canisters, cooking utensils, even all of our cast iron skillets we no longer use.

We've given away 2 different RV covers, all our old Coleman camp stove equipment, and ALL our DishTV satallite equipment, including tripod, Tailgater, wire, receiver, everything.

The list goes on and on. But nothing we needed or wanted any longer. So why not share with some who can benefit! The good Lord blessed and provided for us, it's OK to share the blessing on to someone else.

Maybe I'm different, but for us, we've gotten our money's worth from the item. It's served it's usefulness and I'm completely satisfied. I have no desire to haggle trying to get a few bucks out of something. When I want to get rid of something, I just get rid of it. And camping folks, especially folks who are new to the experience, are overwhelmed and sometimes so speechless at some of the simplest "gifts" given to them.

It goes without saying, our house hold items we no longer need or want or use, all go to GoodWill. I imagine, we've giving away many thousands of dollars of "stuff" and each item given was given with thought and love.

That's something money can never provide.

My suggestion, just give it to someone needy the next time you go camping.

You are better off giving it to the needy than giving it to Goodwill.

When you give it to Goodwill you give it to someone that is selling it to someone that wants it.

Theguy that owns goodwill is making money, in my opinion youโ€™re better off giving it to the needy.

You might as well just give it to your neighbor and let them sell it, itโ€™s about the same as giving it to Goodwill.
To imply that Goodwill is somehow a scam is just plain wrong. It clearly is not a for profit company and your local Goodwill store and donation center is not a franchise with an owner making money off your donations. Goodwill generally receives the highest ratings mark from organizations that rate charities. It also is recognized by the IRS as a charity, making your donations to them tax deductible.
Goodwill is organized so as to make both donations and sales of those donated items as easy as possible. It's stated mission is to provide employment, employee training and career placement assistance for the disabled, veterans and others with insufficient job skills. Currently, Goodwill employs over 100,000 people worldwide.
While it sounds good to say "Just donate your unwanted and unused items to those who need it", that is usually difficult to downright impossible. Sorry, but I am not going to drive around looking for homeless people that are my size. I don't know what homeless shelter has a golf program where my donated old golf clubs will get used. And even the homeless might walk away from wearing that old leisure suit I just dug out of the attic.
But, all those items might find a home at Goodwill. The clothes are sorted and hung on racks by size, just like at Saks. There are people who buy golf clubs and other sporting goods at Goodwill. And even that leisure suit is attractive to a college frat boy looking for a cool Halloween or Fraternity theme party costume.

I guess it's all in what you or I want to believe.

When we downsized a year and a half ago we put everything we did not want on a trailer, actually four different loads, to pictures and put on our local site on facebook for free items, four trailers full gone in a day and a half.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
okoboji fan wrote:
How about donating to the various veterans organizations ? Their CEO s don't get large salaries. FOr those who fought for it, FREEDOM has a special meaning the protected will never know !

donating cash to Fisher House, DAV, Wounded Warriors, Operation Homefront and many more is absolutely worthwhile. but iโ€™m not aware of that any of them will take old but serviceable clothing, household items and the like. we donated many many items from my late mom-in-lawโ€™s house and storage locker to Goodwill and as we downsize Goodwill is our go-to place for our discards.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"