Link 2
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
32 REPLIES 32

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
I donโ€™t want understand the love affair with the 8.1. I had it in a 2500 Burb. Never was that impressed with it. The 6.2 in my Yukon Denali will outpull it and gets much better MPG.

Yep, the 6.2 with 6 speeds is really a stout drivetrain. I like big blocks, but the future is smaller engines with more power through various means. We see that now in even diesels especially since we are discussing the newer 1/2 ton diesel jobs on a few threads.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
that's a cool f150
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t want understand the love affair with the 8.1. I had it in a 2500 Burb. Never was that impressed with it. The 6.2 in my Yukon Denali will outpull it and gets much better MPG.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Here's some intel on the new 3.0 Duramax. Also it will be made in Flint Mi.

Link

Now that RAM announced they are bringing ALL HD production back to the US, "FISH" you think Ford will start making the PowerStroke Here instead of Mexico???

That get's me thinking you should be ready for a new truck by the time RAM is in production if Ford still is making the PS in Mexico you going GM or RAM???

As for now my truck with 136k miles has been really good and costs very little to run, so I really don't have the itch for a new one yet. When I give it a wash job I'm amazed how good it still looks.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

Now that RAM announced they are bringing ALL HD production back to the US, "FISH" you think Ford will start making the PowerStroke Here instead of Mexico???

That get's me thinking you should be ready for a new truck by the time RAM is in production if Ford still is making the PS in Mexico you going GM or RAM???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Oh thanks for the link, I'm looking forward in seeing what this new Diesel engine is capable of doing.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking that GM will stick with the 6.0 and bump up the hp and tq some, also willl add direct injection. It has been a great, reliable engine for years now. A 6.2, or 7.0 would be awesome though. I really miss the big block. The 8.1 is an incredible engine, my buddy has one. Even though the current 6.0 has the gearing and increased power figures like I have, my buddies 8.1 just pulls amazing especially in the lower rpm range... I have always loved the big block engines, I'm tempted at times to install one in the 69 truck...but won't cause it needs to be stock...

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III

Link

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
They never should have killed the L18 8.1L, but nobody was buying them. That motor saw a lot of use in marine and industrial applications, and was easily modified for salt water cooling and dual fuel.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:

I am not talking about stern drives. I am talking about V-Drive tow boats. My Malibu uses an LS3, which is an aluminum block. Nautique and Master Craft use the same engines as options. Mercury Marine has nothing to do with it (and, in fact is discontinuing the use of GM motors and is going with their own in-house design).

Well I would not hold my breath waiting for an LS3 in the HD, or for that matter an L86, or GM reverting back to an L94 or something.

Personally I'd like to see them throw a ZZ572 in the HD LOL, not sure I'd want to pay for it though.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
kw/00 wrote:
C Now I'm curios about the GM 6.0. They just mentioned the 5.3 and 6.2 only as a refresh.

The 6.2 has been around for awhile but is not used in the HD because its not considered a heavy duty engine. (aluminum block)

I have heard this statement before, but I really question the logic of it not being a heavy duty engine.

The 6.2 is very common in boat engines now (mine has it). The surf boats spend their life turning high RPMs pushing around 10,000 pounds through the water. And will go for thousands of hours doing so.

Sounds like more than most HD trucks will ever be put through.

A 6.2 in a boat is built by Mercury. It's based on the GM design but has a cast iron block that Mercury has made specifically for the application. A boat requires a whole different design than a truck for a whole host of reasons. The 6.2 used in the 1500 is an aluminum block L86 Ecotec which has cylinder deactivation, why would you want that in a boat or heavy duty truck. GM also has/had a lot of different designs of the 6.2. LT1 and LT4 in Vettes and Camaros, LS3 crate, L94 etc.

If GM wanted, or more importantly saw the need or benefit to, they could engineer a 6.2 version for a HD truck application but they haven't. It all has to do with bottom end.

I've heard the reason it's not used on an internet forum LOL.......always true. I also sat around a campfire with the same GM transmission engineer at a rally that made the post I referenced. I tend to believe him.

I am not talking about stern drives. I am talking about V-Drive tow boats. My Malibu uses an LS3, which is an aluminum block. Nautique and Master Craft use the same engines as options. Mercury Marine has nothing to do with it (and, in fact is discontinuing the use of GM motors and is going with their own in-house design).
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice they figured out that a good diesel design will be in line!

I like the truck MUCH more than the light duty RAM.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
kw/00 wrote:
C Now I'm curios about the GM 6.0. They just mentioned the 5.3 and 6.2 only as a refresh.

The 6.2 has been around for awhile but is not used in the HD because its not considered a heavy duty engine. (aluminum block)

I have heard this statement before, but I really question the logic of it not being a heavy duty engine.

The 6.2 is very common in boat engines now (mine has it). The surf boats spend their life turning high RPMs pushing around 10,000 pounds through the water. And will go for thousands of hours doing so.

Sounds like more than most HD trucks will ever be put through.

A 6.2 in a boat is built by Mercury. It's based on the GM design but has a cast iron block that Mercury has made specifically for the application. A boat requires a whole different design than a truck for a whole host of reasons. The 6.2 used in the 1500 is an aluminum block L86 Ecotec which has cylinder deactivation, why would you want that in a boat or heavy duty truck. GM also has/had a lot of different designs of the 6.2. LT1 and LT4 in Vettes and Camaros, LS3 crate, L94 etc.

If GM wanted, or more importantly saw the need or benefit to, they could engineer a 6.2 version for a HD truck application but they haven't. It all has to do with bottom end.

I've heard the reason it's not used on an internet forum LOL.......always true. I also sat around a campfire with the same GM transmission engineer at a rally that made the post I referenced. I tend to believe him.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
I like it!
Cant wait to see the HD 4x4 Crewcab.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.