cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie to TC's questions

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Little background info, We have had campers for 10 yrs or so, but never a TC. My truck is a 05 Dodge Ram QC 2500 4x4 diesel.

I am looking into getting a TC for hunting in the Rockies. Nothing fancy or new, cheap and usable is what I would need.
My questions are,

Do pop up style TC use a large amount of propane compared to a hard side TC when camping in 20*F weather?

Do TC make the truck to top heavy to travel at highway speeds? (80mph) I understand the pop ups will be less top heavy, but what about the hard side TC?

What size water heaters are typically in TC's?

Can TC's handle off road trails? I will have to drive up a steep, rutted two track type trail to get to hunting camp. It will be a slow speed, but the suspension will be taxed, and Im sure the frame will be flexing some.

Im still in the planning stage, the hunt will be in either Oct. or Nov. The TC would probably only ever be used by me for hunting. We have a TT for camping with the family.

I usually stay in a wall tent with about 10 other people, but I'd like my own space free from other peoples smells, snores, and loud CPAP machines. lol

Thanks for any advice.
12 REPLIES 12

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Ask this guy

whazoo
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
From your information, you definitely want a pop-up. Most won't have water heaters. Heck, if you are going hunting in 20 degree weather, you might be best off winterizing your water system (running it dry) and drinking and cooking from gallon jugs. Flush the potty with antifreeze.

Yes, a pop-up is plenty warm in sub freezing weather. I just sold my Jayco for more than the price you suggested, but not much more. Good pop-ups are out there.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
$3000 is about toilet and sink replacement in your house and you want self-contained sleeping unit for that price?
When you can keep any RV warm at any exterior temperatures - it does take lot of propane and lot of batteries to run overnight.
Hard-shelled TC usually have curtains that separate cabover from heating, allowing you to use dinette bed and save lot of fuel.
Never owned pop-up and even they appeal to some situation, I read that at very low temperatures- folding the plastic can be one way operation only.
I own convertible car and manufacturer advise against operating the soft top in temperatures below 60F.

The upper is canvas and they fold just fine in cold weather, just as any pop up owner. lots on here...

Pop ups also have the curtain, not just a hard side.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Spend my fair share of time in Cheeseland and I can say TCs are much more numerous out west.
Maybe get an idea what’s available in CO, ID, MT etc for comparison.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Knowing how those type of roads are you described,you definitely want a popup or a very light hard side.Living in Idaho and hunting every year in the back country,there are roads I would not take any camper on and why I park as far in as I can go, then use other means to go farther back in.Once you start twisting and torquing things,nothing good usually comes out of it, especially with a bunch of weight in the back.Things I learned the hard way with truck campers and small trailers!

As for $3,000 bucks for a good camper,they can be found in this area if you look hard.I gave that for an 8ft Lance without water damage and just slightly more for the one I have now that was kept in a barn most of it's life.Don't know about your area but they are out there..Craigs list is your friend.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
$3000 is about toilet and sink replacement in your house and you want self-contained sleeping unit for that price?
When you can keep any RV warm at any exterior temperatures - it does take lot of propane and lot of batteries to run overnight.
Hard-shelled TC usually have curtains that separate cabover from heating, allowing you to use dinette bed and save lot of fuel.
Never owned pop-up and even they appeal to some situation, I read that at very low temperatures- folding the plastic can be one way operation only.
I own convertible car and manufacturer advise against operating the soft top in temperatures below 60F.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies so far!

I started looking on CL and other sites, holy cow TC's are expensive!! I was hoping to be around the $3000 price range. Looks like that will only happen if I buy something that has water damage....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
srt20 wrote:
Little background info, We have had campers for 10 yrs or so, but never a TC. My truck is a 05 Dodge Ram QC 2500 4x4 diesel.

I am looking into getting a TC for hunting in the Rockies. Nothing fancy or new, cheap and usable is what I would need.
My questions are,

Do pop up style TC use a large amount of propane compared to a hard side TC when camping in 20*F weather? It's relative, but yes.

Do TC make the truck to top heavy to travel at highway speeds? (80mph) I understand the pop ups will be less top heavy, but what about the hard side TC? Unstable? No. But the wind buffeting around the nose of a camper makes it generally unpleasant at 70-80 if there's a headwind. Otherwise, it's a function of how much fuel you want to burn.

What size water heaters are typically in TC's? 6gal iirc

Can TC's handle off road trails? I will have to drive up a steep, rutted two track type trail to get to hunting camp. It will be a slow speed, but the suspension will be taxed, and Im sure the frame will be flexing some. Yes or no or don't know what your trail looks like. Again, subjective, imagine taking that road with 2,3 or 4000lbs in the truck bed.

Im still in the planning stage, the hunt will be in either Oct. or Nov. The TC would probably only ever be used by me for hunting. We have a TT for camping with the family.

I usually stay in a wall tent with about 10 other people, but I'd like my own space free from other peoples smells, snores, and loud CPAP machines. lol

Thanks for any advice.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't currently have a TC, but, in the past I've had both hardside and pop up.

The hardside was much more top heavy, making rough roads even rougher. Low hanging tree branches can be more of a problem with a hardside. I would say the best set up for mountain hunting (been there, done that) would be a pop up and a utility trailer.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had several truck camper always on a 3/4 ton truck beefed up. They have been both hardside and popup. Last year I sold my Wolf Creek 816 with all the extra's on it. The camper was great but my travels take me into very rugged country and that is not only hard on campers but also trucks. I now have a Northstar 850 SC which I like real well. It will go anywhere the truck will take it and it is light weight and considerable more wind resistance that the Wolf Creek. It has everything but A/C including shower and cassette torilet. As stated in a previous post you can get a cold weather package for the popup portion of the camper.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Do TC make the truck to top heavy to travel at highway speeds? (80mph)“

They does! And your state do agree which me two!

See http://www.startribune.com/nine-wisconsin-highways-to-see-faster-speed-limits/340054001/ “Speed limits on several Wisconsin highways will rise to 70 miles per hour as soon as crews can put up new signs. The new speed limits will go into effect on 161 miles of multi-lane, non-interstate freeway segments that the Wisconsin Department of Transportation has determined can handle higher speed limits.”

“I usually stay in a wall tent with about 10 other people” Just like the Army!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Some higher quality pop-up TCs have some insulation (one brand calls it an Arctic Pack) that go around the canvas portion. Others do not. Wither way, all else being equal, I would suspect the insulation to be lesser in a pop-up model.
I carry a 4,000 pound 11' hardside camper on my '05 Chevy dually. I typically set the cruise on 70 mph (the speed limit most place I travel) and then comfortably steer with one hand. I have gone 75 when conditions allow with no problems. I never tried 80 mph.
Almost all RVs, TC or not, use the same water heaters. They are typically 6 gallons. Some very large RVs have 10 gallon but you won't generally find those in any TC.
There are some pop-ups specifically designed and advertised for off road adventures (Four Wheel Campers, Phoenix, Earth Cruiser, Hallmark, etc.) Other pop-ups are just for driving campground to campground on paved roads.