cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permit question

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I know many consider me the expert on the permit issue, but this is a new one.

I am camping with someone who is towing a travel trailer. He had it added to his truck permit, and only has one 180 permit covering both. I used to do this with my cargo trailer, but I never thought you could do it with a travel trailer or 5th wheel. Mind you I've never asked, so maybe you can. Does anyone know? I am taking a caravan across at Nogales in just over week and I will ask there. It would save a lot of hassle if you can just add a travel trailer to the truck permit.

This may just be the case of a one off, like some people managing to get a 10 year on a truck & truck camper combo. He crossed at Laredo, BTW. I do now you can add 2 items to truck permit. I used to add my cargo trailer & an ATV.
8 REPLIES 8

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I know the explanation they gave me with Quicksilver was pretty clear....

"Attach anything to the RV an the RV can not get a 10-year RV permit"

So Quicksilver is never going to leave Mexico. If they don't like it they can come dig me up. Ain't no way I'll be around in 2027.

Mountaineer42
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
I know many consider me the expert on the permit issue, but this is a new one.

Careful, you'll dislocate your shoulder trying to pat yourself on the back like that!:R

From the real expert on most things Mexican, Sonia Diaz: "Your travel trailer may be included on the same TIP as your vehicle. "

If you include the TT or 5th on the same TIP as the tow vehicle, it is only valid for 180 days, same as the tow vehicle, and it MUST leave Mexico with the tow vehicle.

Mountaineer42
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Just wondering...

Like a missing motor vehicle...

Would Aduana accept written explanations about how a trailer got totaled and is not returning with the vehicle?

Or would they deny cancellation of the temporary import permit?

They deny cancellation of the TIP. And, you lose the deposit paid for the vehicle. Been there, done that.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila, could the owner have used the travel trailer as a cargo trailer in the past when he obtained the permit? You could probably tell by examining the trailer to determine if it had been converted to a travel trailer subsequent to receiving the permit. Just a thought!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
They always add a cargo trailer to the truck so I see no dif if its allowed.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
deposit on the truck same as always. No deposit on the trailer whichever way you do it. I intend to ask Banjercito when I am km 21 in a week from now.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering...

Like a missing motor vehicle...

Would Aduana accept written explanations about how a trailer got totaled and is not returning with the vehicle?

Or would they deny cancellation of the temporary import permit?

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Just another aduanero that knows nothing. How did they handle the deposit??

Moisheh