cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Issues Adjusting Slideout on new Travel Trailer

chrisdd23k
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a new 2018 Coachman Freedom Express Travel Trailer with a large slide out. We had issues with it and twice had it repaired under warranty. The second time they replaced a bend part and when I took it home I noticed the slide out didn't sit flush against the trailer. At the top it was flush, on the lower right side it was out 1/2 inch and on the lower left side it was out of alignment 1 inch. I took it back to the dealer he said they would take a look at it. When we first spoke the dealership said anything out of alignment more than 1/2 inch should be adjusted. Since it is out of alignment 1 inch I thought they should fix it. Now it sounds like they feel 1 in out of alignment is acceptable. Since my warranty ends in August 2018 I want to make sure its right. The dealer reassured me that if it is still a problem after the warranty expires they will still fix it because it is an ongoing problem. What should I do? Should I hold my ground and fight to have them fix it? Is 1 inch out of alignment not a big deal? Do I trust they will fix it after warranty period? Any advice?
9 REPLIES 9

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
Get it in writing! After warranty period it could take bit more convincing. That's why most of my communication is via email. I have saved every email communication with Camping World for a record.

But it is better to get it right within the warranty period. The dealer doesn't provide tha warranty and the manufacturer doesn't warranty the dealer's work.

chrisdd23k
Explorer
Explorer
Follow up to a couple of questions: I have a Freedom Express 292BHDS and the slide out would move in and out normally but wouldn't sit flush. It was really bad before they replaced a bend part. Now it is out only an inch, it was out a good 5 inches before the repair.

Lat week the dealer called me and said I can come pick it up and no repair was needed, meaning that the slide out being out of alignment 1 inch was ok with them. I just got off the phone with the dealer, he said he is in contact with the manufacturer to get some specification for adjustments. Sounds like they are still working on it.

The consensus from everyone is they need to get it right and fight for the repair. Should I believe the dealer when they said they will still fix this specific issue after the warranty period ends because it is an ongoing problem?

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
...right side it was out 1/2 inch and on the lower left side it was out of alignment 1 inch...

This is only 1/2 inch out of alignment, but if it isn't sitting flush I'd be concerned. Your post got me to go outside and measure my slide and and I found it is flush. Of course this wasn't the case when I bought it. It had been out of alignment (approx. 2" in front and 1" in rear) and when I brought this to the service writer (not a service tech) he attempted to convince me that was normal. I didn't accept this as any gap in front leads to leaks when traveling.

That seal has to be made or you'll have troubles. If nothing more than just cosmetic it still should look right for a new TT. Hold to your ground while it's still under warranty.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
gap is not correct... get it fixed "Very Soon"...

my coachman is 13 years old.. no gap.. never has..

Explorer II
Explorer II
What was the previous issue they addressed? Did the slide not slide out when you pressed the button and it made a ratcheting sound but would not move?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you inquired with Coachmen Rep what did he have to say about "what is acceptable" ????

Coachmen Freedom Express Rep
Steve Brandenberger
Service Representative
1-574-825-8205
sbrandenberger@forestriverinc.com

Direct Contact

Personally I would CALL him and TALK with him.
THEN followup with an e-mail to 'confirm' WHAT HE SAID/RECOMMENDED

Your slideout is NOT correct.
Top should make contact then bottom come in FULLY....which means BOTH sides are making contact with side of trailer
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Coachman now. The dealer has his/her opportunity to fix it. More serious than that dealer can handle.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
chrisdd23k wrote:
We purchased a new 2018 Coachman Freedom Express Travel Trailer with a large slide out.

Which model? :h It would be helpful if you'd list this info in your SIG.

What should I do? Should I hold my ground and fight to have them fix it? Is 1 inch out of alignment not a big deal? Do I trust they will fix it after warranty period? Any advice?

The slide on my own Freedom Express sits flush against the sidewall of the trailer top, bottom, and both sides so I can't imagine any degree of alignment error being acceptable. I also can't imagine why your dealer doesn't seem to be able to fix this so yes, either press them to do it right OR if you don't have the confidence they can contact Coachmen and request that they refer you to another authorized Coachmen dealer who can fix this properly.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
An inch sounds like a lot to me. Does it seal at the bottom where it's out a bit more? If it does, that may be as good as it gets or, it may need to be adjusted so that it comes in just a tiny bit more to force the seal.
Adjusting some slides is a give and take deal. An adj. in one place forces an opposite effect somewhere else. Pull the top in and the bottom doesn't seat as tight. Or, adj. so it sits level when out and it's off when in.
It should be even side to side but if it seats well enough that seals fully engage, your probably ok. (can we get a pic?)
Finally, if they can't get it any better you don't want to force them to keep working on it. At some point you start causing other issues especially if you they know exactly what they're doing.