cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road conditions in BC in early June

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
We have our summer trip to AB/BC and now AK roughly mapped out. Any major roads likely to be closed because of snow in passes? We plan to camp a few days, sightsee the area with our toad, then move 150/200 miles and repeat the process.

After looking at the map we decided to do Alaska on this trip as well. We had previously posted that Alaska would be on a separate trip but now are combining the two. Our timing is Banff in late may for a week or so, then all of June in BC, then on to Alaska for all of July.. then back to the lower 48 via a different route than we went up on.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley
11 REPLIES 11

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately scenic side trips in the Parks such as Morraine Lake and Takakkaw Falls will almost certainly still be closed. Otherwise should be as others have said.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
You may hit snow in Banff / Jasper / Lake Louise in May, or any other month of the year. However it will usually be gone by the next day. Try to keep an eye on the weather reports from local radio stations if you donโ€™t have internet. If the snowmocmcomming just sit where your at and enjoy the snow, like I said it will usually be gone by the next day, or at least the roads will be clear of snow by the next day. My oldest daughter lived between Calgary and Banff and we drove back and forth for the West Kootenays many times over the years and in different seasons as well. I think it was three years ago and just before the beginning of August that is snowed at Banff. The next day the roads were clear and everyone got to the the Rockies covered in snow for a few hours the next day before the sun melted it.
As for BC ..
Same thing here, except it hardly ever happens on Jun through September where I live which is in the West Kootenays of B.C. June is when like other have said we start to get the big spring melt and some of the rivers and creeks run wild. Always stay away from the banks of rivers and creeks this time of year, usually someone will go in to chase a dog that fell in a creek every spring. The dog is found wet and tired, the owner usually not so lucky.
All hwys will be open in BC, we donโ€™t close them for the winter unless they lead someplace where there is no winter activities, ( homes / resorts etc...) there are seasonal roads that co use still be closed and there will usually be gates and signs stopping you if they are closed. The highest Hwy pass in a Canada that is open years round is not in the Canadain Rockies but in the west Kootenays of B.C. and it only closes in the winter for avalanche control.
We are getting a dump,of snow this year, but if we have a spring like we did last two years it will melt fast. Heck two years ago we had green grass and leafs of the trees where we used to seasonal camp at a mountain lake.
You should have no problems at all for the ti e of year you plan on traveling. Bring an extra blanket for the bed, and a extra warm jacket. If it snows park the rig and have some fun playing in the snow, it usually will be gone the next day. Donโ€™t rush your trip and have fun.
Most campgrounds will be nearly empty the time of year your traveling north, however come the Victoria Day long weekend ( third Monday in May) and the last week of June things will start to get busy unteil after Labour Day weekend.
July 1st is Canada day and August 1st is called different things in different provinces in B.C. it is โ€œ BC Dayโ€ campground will be packed on those three weekend and labour days weekend. The farther north you go the less people in the campgrounds.
Lots of small mountain lake campgrounds around where Iโ€™ll live hardly get noticed in the summer and are usually only full on long weekends.
Have fun and be safe
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
I highly doubt that you will see snow on anything but the high mountains in early June, but in the mountains anything is possible.

I would be more aware that at time of year, the spring melt will be in full swing. A big snow year in the mountains means lots of run-off and full rivers.

You should also be aware that forest fire season starts about then and could affect your travel plans in a big way.

I second MDKMDK's suggestions for useful websites.

Just a few suggestions for routes.....
Highway 93 (Icefields Parkway) from Lake Louise to Jasper is awesome at that time of year
Highway 37 (Deas Lake Highway) from Kitwanga to the Alaska Highway near Watson Lake, Yukon is a scenic route
Also a side trip from 37 along 37A to Stewart, BC is neat.
Highway 2 (The Klondike Highway) south from Carcross, BC turns into US 98 and ends up in Skagway, Alaska. Very cool!

Where ever you go in BC/Yukon, you won't be disappointed if scenery is your thing.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
All roads were open for us in June 2015 through BC and the Yukon.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Alberta, Hwy 40 over Highwood Pass is closed till mid June - to protect wildlife. This is the highest paved pass in Alberta, and is a scenic way into Banff from the south.

The Parkway in Banff might also have a wildlife closure at this time. The freeway will be open of course.

The highest paved pass in BC is Kootenay Pass on Hwy 3 (Crowsnest); it is open year around with possible closures for avalanche control.

Kootenay - 1,775 m (5,823 ft)
Bow Pass - 2,088 m (6,850 ft) (Icefields)
Highwood - 2,206 m (7,238 ft)

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
George,
EXCELLENT advice from MDKMDK! Bookmark those links as they will definitely come in handy during your trip.
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

Willow13
Explorer
Explorer
We did a similar trip last year. We left Arizona on May 21st, stayed in Banff starting on May 27th and entered Alaska June 14th. No snow, expect what we saw on distant mountain tops. A fabulous trip - enjoy - safe travels!

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't be too many closures due to weather at that time, but construction delays are another animal.
Try this website for BC road conditions and problems as the time for your trip approaches. It's got road closures, traffic events, and construction zones current and planned, in either lists format or on the map view, and live webcams.
http://www.drivebc.ca/

As for the Yukon, it's pretty much the same story.
Try these for info when you're departure date approaches.
http://www.511yukon.ca/en/
http://www.yukoninfo.com/yukon-road-report/

This one says it's a demo. Check the "Incidents and Activities" box in the left margin to show more info.
http://ykdemo.telenium.ca/en/map.html#l=48&x=-14747197&y=8896332&z=0&lb=1&rb=1
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
Early June in the Canadian Rockies can be an experience! In 2012 we had to detour around a washout of Hyway 8 and then in 2016 folks were stranded in a roadside turnout for a day while snow was cleared off the road! The good news is the road will only be blocked for two or three days, if at all. It makes for a good time to explore the local area while clean-up takes place!

There is a good chance Lake Louise will still be snow covered in early June.

Don't forget you are going for the experience. If you wanted interstate highways you could stay in the lower 48!
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Was closed May 26 through the 29th at Ft. Nelson up through Steamboat Hill in 2016.

We got stuck in Ft. Nelson for 3 days.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I would be surprised if there were many closures at that time of year, though I don't have much personal experience to draw from. It's well in the prime RV travel season through those areas.

When are you visiting Yukon? Obviously you'll be passing through it, at least, to get from BC to Alaska, but there are plenty of things worth lingering a little longer for as well. Whitehorse and Dawson City both deserve a couple days minimum in my opinion, and there are many wonderful natural areas as well.