cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco whitehawk 2018 29bh vs other comps

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, we tow with a suburban 8.1 so can tow up to 12k lbs. we have two girls that are 8 and 5, so we must have bunks. We really like the 2018 whitehawk 29bh. I have seen a few other 29 and 28 ft bunkhouses that are comparable such as th cougar, hideout, flagstaff, etc.

Before really negotiating and purchasing, I wanted to run this by you all and get your thoughts on the whitehawk vs some of the others.

Thx
10 REPLIES 10

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations. Three of our four RVs have been Jaycos and we have been very happy with Jayco.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, picked up a 2018 jayco whitehawk 29bh today. Very excited. First camper we have owned in almost 10 years. Our two girls are at great ages to begin camping adventures again.

Thanks for all the help

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
For comparison you could also checkout a Dutchmen Aerolite 282DBHS. The camper show in Novi will also be coming up in February.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
jlrmfc21 wrote:
The weights aren't an issue because I'm not looking at anything larger than a 29bh or 28ft tt.

I don't know if length is important to you or not....for parking reasons or pulling into a tight campsite etc.
You're looking at 34' plus, bumper to ball. add the suburbans length , you will be approx 55-56 ft combined.

I think your choice in brand is fine, it's important to find a good dealer that will give you appointments in a timely fashion. I think that is more important than brand shopping.

look at Jayco's website for specs, don't rely on info from a dealers website.

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2018-white-hawk/29bh/

westend offers good advice, to check your sticker, it might not be a bad idea to cat scale your suburban as if you were all loaded up for a trip. Make sure you have a heavy duty hitch, like 1400# spring bars.(there are many payload options for your truck 2000#-2600# depending on how it's equipped)

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Of the ones you listed I'd prefer the Jayco. Have you looked at the Grand Design Imagine 2800BH?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it's a 3-4 ton, 2500, 8.1 with 4.10 gears. I got the weights. Would like feedback on the coaches themselves. Thx

westend
Explorer
Explorer
jlrmfc21 wrote:
The weights aren't an issue because I'm not looking at anything larger than a 29bh or 28ft tt.

Open the driver's side door and look on the jamb for the weights and cargo sticker. Unless you have a 2500 series Suburban, you may be looking at towing too much weight.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 12k tow rating doesn't mean too much.
My 2016 silverado's payload 0f 2000# is at max, towing the 2016 Jayco 23RB dry wt of 4700# and TW 550#.
Watch your payload of all the stuff you carry inside the TV including people and hitch weight.
What I do is look at the gross weight rating of the TT and take 15% of that number as a "general real weight number".

Keeping in mind my TT is a non slide alum skin TT and only run with 15 gals of water incl the 6 gal water heater. My Jay flight real weights are rolling down the road at 6000#-6300# with a TW of 900#-975# depending how much i carry inside the TT and if I bring a second battery on the tongue.

Check the tire size between comparable floorplans of the Jay Flight and WH . See if it that would apply or not.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/difference-in-jayflight-vs-whitehawk-51709.html

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Also we live in south east Michigan, northwest of Detroit