New Shocks

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
Need new Shocks—2012 Winnebago Adventurer 37F

WHERE would you go to replace them?
Would you stay with Bilstein?
Not that old, and 35,000 mi.
Love the coach but slightest dip and it rocks all over. Have tried rebalancing load etc. but I think it’s time. Did add the Safe T Steer year ago or so — helped a little.

Thnx.
14 REPLIES 14

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
The Koni adjustables that came with our coach have been very good. The rear ones were replaced at 90,000 miles and the fronts are still good at 136,000 miles. The old fronts work better than the newer rears.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
My 1998 are original. Came with Konis
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how so many folks need to change their shocks yet I have a 2006 and see no need whatsoever to change mine out. When I go over a large dip in the road, the shocks stop the sway immediately. Perhaps you have other issues besides shocks.

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Tell me what you think about HELLWIG swaybars?

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Tell me what y’all think about HELLWIG sway bars?

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaNative49 wrote:
Many thnx to All for the input.
Main concern is still the side to side rock but guess I’m leaning toward Koni, just because they’re different.

Put on a rear trac bar.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry —mis spoke, meant Sway Bar, not TracBar. Have one of those on the front already ??

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
Well after reading this extensive MH review I’m back to square one. Maybe I should start with some anti-sway for the back end.
http://www.motorhome.com/tech/diy/shock-therapy-rv-shock-absorber-test/

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
Many thnx to All for the input.
Main concern is still the side to side rock but guess I’m leaning toward Koni, just because they’re different.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both Koni and Bilstein make fine shocks that will do the job of dampening the impact from bumps in the road. I preferred the Koni FSD shocks because they are NOT gas charged and they do not transfer the small bumps, like road joints, back to the coach. The gas charged Bilstein shocks will let you feel even the smallest bump. On a large bump or when exiting a driveway, I found no difference between either brand of shock.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Based on our experience with a 2014 F53 from when it was new, I'm unimpressed with the Bilsteins in this application. The Koni get good reviews.

If there's not a local shop you like, buy shocks online and have a mobile mechanic come to your place. I would be changing my own.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 Ford F-53: Got new tires around 30,000....Camping World, by coincidence, had the best prices going...plus a large rebate from the mfgr. Save $70/tire, compared to other tire places. While there, I asked them to check the shocks...long story short, the Ford products (original) were nothing more than rubber bands. I had CW put on Bilsteins. Still have them years later and they seem to do the job.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 Ford F-53: Got new tires around 30,000....Camping World, by coincidence, had the best prices going...plus a large rebate from the mfgr. Save $70/tire, compared to other tire places. While there, I asked them to check the shocks...long story short, the Ford products (original) were nothing more than rubber bands. I had CW put on Bilsteins. Still have them years later and they seem to do the job.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Koni FSDs are quite good (but not inexpensive) and are what I put on my (class C) motorhome. The variable frequency valving seems to work very nicely indeed, not being too stiff on little bumps or vibrations while controlling big ones decently.

When I replaced them, I ordered the new ones from shockwarehouse.com (no affiliation other than a customer) and went to my driveway to put them in. Changing them should be pretty straightforward. On the E series, the fronts are trickier because there is not much clearance above the top mount to manipulate the mounting nuts, but I suspect that's likely to be less of an issue on most class A's. If you aren't up for doing the work yourself, most any halfway competent shop should be able to handle it.

Assuming this is rocking side to side, improving the anti sway bar setup would help a lot as well.