Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Towing: Tight Windy Roads
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tight Windy Roads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first year we had our 35' fiver, we took a trip into the PA mountains into Lancaster, etc. Fortunately we found ourselves behind a new car hauler! What a stroke of luck. We went around turns and through tunnels that we didn't realize we would encounter, and having that truck in front helped us not to panic, which we would probably would have. We took right turns we couldn't have imagined, and just swung as wide as he did. It turned out to be a lot of fun, and we came back confidently. Unless you really go,off the beaten path, most roads are okay for a 50' plus set up.

Nancy, Doug and Penny (the Boston)
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW
2012 Ford 350 4 door crew cab Diesel SRW King Ranch

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say you are on the best source right here. Go to the correct part of the forum and ask about a particular hwy and you will be amazed at the wealth of knowledge and helpfulness people can have and be.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there's some risk, I scout it out on Google Maps satellite view. One has to zoom pretty close in, and watch closely where the road really is (which isn't always precisely where Google thinks it is). If you wait until you get to a bend that's too tight it's too late as then your only option is to back out, and that could be rather challenging.

The roads like this I encounter usually aren't "highways" ... They're back country gravel/dirt roads that go to something like a trailhead or canoe launch.

2016 AmeriLite SuperLite 198BH
2008 Toyota Sienna
Hensley Cub

demiles

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow tight winding hills on the back roads of WV regularly towing my 32ft trailer. It’s great way to check how well you have the WD setup especially if it’s raining and wet.

2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA has a Bus/MH map with length restrictions.
Check your state.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/bus/bus-map.html

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

proxim2020

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive with a Garmin Dezl 770 semi truck GPS unit. It will route you down truck accessible roads based on your height, length, and weight. It's nice because it gives road warnings of sharp curves, steep grades, bridge heights, etc. I've never been routed down any roads that were too tight, narrow, or clearance issues. There's a car mode for when you're not pulling a trailer. There's an RV specific version that's basically the same unit, but with rv specific sections like campgrounds listings and dump stations.

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/18 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be care full where you going if you got a tall FW another problem is the bridges .

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,,Morryde SRE 4000.6 points LIPPERD Level-up.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mean like the "Old man drives his trailer into a narrow winding "small cars only" road and gets stuck" FW owner, lol? [emoticon] See the whole rescue on youtube here. Entertaining!

Always watch the road signage and if a road starts to look questionable, stop. If you have to back up, use a spotter. A backup camera may or not help. Our Garmin GPS gives us warnings in advance. If you miss a planned turn and think you can simply take the next turn coming up, don't assume it will be okay as an alternative. Checking road conditions in advance on the internet can help a lot. A secondary type road on a map may *look* fine but can be a road from hell when you get on it. Carrying a laptop and having a mobile hotspot/mifi can really help. Know your turning radius and if you have to, take a corner wide even if you have to cross the center line (oncoming traffic permitting). If using a GPS, make dang sure you have the destination correctly programmed into it and don't assume it will always get you there without issues. I always go over paper maps in advance so I have at the min., a basic idea of where we're going and if something isn't clear, I'll take a closer look along with more info.

[image]

* This post was edited 01/16/18 09:16am by myredracer *

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Checking out how narrow and twisty the roads are is where a mapping program, and/or Google maps shine. You can zoom in to see exactly how the road unwinds. Paper maps simply don't have that kind of detail, although they will give you a rough idea about the road and area.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/18 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, and first off welcome to the forum! The general rule is that the driver is responsible for knowing his/her rig and using the roads accordingly. There are loads of signs that you never noticed before that advise no vehicles over a certain length, over a certain weight, over certain height, over a certain # of axles, etc etc. I would say low clearance bridges are more common that curves that are too tight.

Aside from knowing your length, weight and height, I also heed signs that say "no trucks". The sign may not state a reason, but more often than not it's because trucks don't fit.

There are several apps you can use, my Pioneer AVIC nav system allows me to create a vehicle profile where I enter my vehicle size/weight and it keeps me off of roads where I shouldn't be. You can also buy a "trucker's Altas" for old school folks...

Search in the iTune or Play stores for "trucker's maps" or similar.

Also be aware of haz-mat restrictions on flammables...there are tunnels where you shouldn't be with propane tanks (your trailer has 2).

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tight Windy Roads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS