cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions on our 2018 Great American Roadtrip

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
This year we are planning to head west on I-90 in mid to late Sept to Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Tetons, Bryce, & Zion National Parks. Then to Lower Antelope Canyon in NV. Then head back east along rte40. ( we have already been to Arches, Monument Valley, and Grand Canyon). Only campground we know we want to stay in so far is Grizzly RV Park. But dont know how close it is to Yellowstone. We will be in our 31Ft Class C with a Motorcycle on the back for transportation. So... We are looking for helpful hints and places to stay, best routes etc...

Thanks in advance
Proud father of a US Marine
19 REPLIES 19

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
You won't be able to "see" any of the parks at that pace--you'll be able to glance at them as you whiz by, maybe. I strongly suggest spending all of your time in one area (Montana/Wyoming) or another (Utah/Arizona). You'll get more out of your trip, you'll spend less time driving (and driving and driving and driving and driving), and you'll actually get to know the parks.

Each area has its own positives that time of year. The desert is starting to cool down (and I would NEVER go there in summer--been there, hated that), while in Yellowstone, the wildlife are really active and the tourist crush has abated.

If there's one common thread in all these various discussions of "I want to go on this big trip," it's that the contemplated trip is just about always too big. It's MUCH more satisfying when you explore a few places in depth than when you zoom from place to place. Either half of your trip could easily keep you busy for weeks. It's better that way, and importantly, it'll actually feel like a vacation.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
We've used and liked Kodachrome Basin State Park for Bryce.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to be around Glacier in September, bring your passports so that you can jump up to Waterton Lakes and see the elk rutting. We stayed at the Waterton Lakes campground for two weeks in 2015 and had a great time. Pictures are on our blog.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
So far the order of things will be Glacier, Yellowstone, and then Grand Tetons. After those will be Bryce Canyon, and Zion and Lower Antelope Canyon. We might just go back and visit Monument Valley again... ( LOVE that place!). Maybe Mesa Verde, and Four Corners (Just to say we were there) and then, back east and then north. I wouldnt mind going back to Assateague Island Seashore again either! Oh well, we will have enough time and leave our plans open.... Please keep the suggestions coming!!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Addy15 wrote:
DrewE wrote:

I'd suggest also stopping at Theodore Roosevelt NP; it's beautiful badlands, a bit different beauty than the other parks you've listed but still magnificent.

TRNP is beautiful, but would be quite a detour from the route the OP appears to be planning...

Been to TRNP, beautiful? Like they say โ€œ beauty is in the eye of the beholderโ€.

Well, this beholder thought it was beautiful, with the varied colors and patterns and shapes in the formations.

Click For Full-Size Image.

It is out of the way from I-90, but it's right on I-94, and it's all but the same distance and driving time for either I-90 or I-94. (According to Google Maps, I-94 is 21 miles longer and 8 minutes quicker from Madison, WI to Billings, MT.)

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Addy15 wrote:
DrewE wrote:

I'd suggest also stopping at Theodore Roosevelt NP; it's beautiful badlands, a bit different beauty than the other parks you've listed but still magnificent.

TRNP is beautiful, but would be quite a detour from the route the OP appears to be planning...

Been to TRNP, beautiful? Like they say โ€œ beauty is in the eye of the beholderโ€.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to add something here - all the info you have received is very good based on our experiences. Nothing more I can add!! But I would emphasize that anything after a week after Labor Day much will be shut down all along there.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
they begin rolling the sidewalks up after labor day at glacier,yellowstone and tetons. by mid September a lot of the services will be curtailed and the snowplows tuned up.if it is a indian summer it will be cold at night but warm and beautiful during the day will a lot less traffic.
on your motorcycle be careful of the buffalo as they own the road and leave some very slippery deposits on the road

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
This year we are planning to head west on I-90 in mid to late Sept to Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Tetons, Bryce, & Zion National Parks. Then to Lower Antelope Canyon in NV. Then head back east along rte40. ( we have already been to Arches, Monument Valley, and Grand Canyon). Only campground we know we want to stay in so far is Grizzly RV Park. But dont know how close it is to Yellowstone. We will be in our 31Ft Class C with a Motorcycle on the back for transportation. So... We are looking for helpful hints and places to stay, best routes etc...

Thanks in advance

Nice trip, but bad time to visit Glacier, Yellowstone and the Tetons. You are going to love Grizzly RV Park and the Town of West Yellowstone.
If you go to Glacier NP stay in West Glacier and do the Going to the Sun Road and lunch at Many Glacier Lodge.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be prepared for snow in both the northern Parks. In '16 I was in West for about two weeks and the Park was closed twice due to snow. Also watch for fires, in'16 the west entrance was closed and last year portions of GNP were closed due to fires, be flexible in your planning.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
We were in Yellowstone NP in the last week of August a few years ago. Overnight temps were in the freezing range, had to scrape the frost of the cars windows, before going sightseeing. The day time temps were comfortable.

Ken

On the Grizzly Rv Park website, it mentions rental cars. We may have to get a car for a day or two instead of using the motorcycle

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:

I love Badlands! We have been to the Badlands NP in SD, so i wouldn't mind seeing more

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Lower Antelope Canyon is in Page, AZ...unless there is another one in NV.

By "rte40" I assume you mean I-40.

e.

Oops! Yes i meant AZ. And. I-40