cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

That Time of Year Again! Great Lakes Itinerary?

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
You guys have been invaluable over the last few years helping us to plan our summers. We're hoping you're willing to help again. We will be in a region that we know little about.

Family of 4 with twin 13 year old boys. We will have 6-7 weeks to play around and go as we wish. We have family to visit in Detroit (3-4 days) and Traverse City (4-5 days), so the meat of the trip will center on Michigan, but with this much time, we need some other ideas. Wisconsin? Minnesota?

We don't have passports, so would probably avoid Canada. But, then again, next year is a northeast trip and we might want to include Nova Scotia, Montreal and Quebec...so maybe the passport investment is worth it now? Anyway...

Our tastes lean heavily to outdoors and remote, but are open to must see city stuff. We are equipped for boon-docking and would like to include some.

So, what would you make sure to put on the itinerary?

Thanks in advance!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
16 REPLIES 16

R__Walter
Explorer
Explorer
Great fishing in the UP. Brookies, rainbows, stealhead...
2016 Ram 3500 Aisin SRW LB
2005 Hitchhiker DA 31.5
Fulltimin'

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget Pictured Rocks in the U.P.

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy your trip!
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently on this trip and I wanted to let all posters know that your input has been valuable. Riding the dunes in Silver Lakes today!

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
We will be up there the last week of July. Maybe our paths will cross.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
michigansandzilla wrote:

Don't waste any time on Lake Erie.

Don't waste your time believing that statement. The rest of what was written is spot on.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Another part-day trip from Traverse City (I never got excited about that town either) is the Leelanau Peninsula. Drive along the shore of the bay up to the state park at the north tip and see the little lighthouse there. A mile back south, there's more state park land where you can park and walk west (maybe 3/4 mile?) to a beach. Drive around inland in the peninsula and see rolling hills with dairy farms and orchards. This SP has a CG but it's rustic with small sites, and I think there might only be one or two (if that) which your rig could fit into.

There is a paved hike/bike trail from Charlevoix to Petoskey. There's a long trail along the MN shore, too.

I should have mentioned, at the Porcupine Mountains SP there's a hiking trail along Superior between the east and west units for serious backpackers, if you're into that; it take a couple of days to complete the journey.

Isle Royale is a great place for those who like wild nature. Most people tent, maybe canoe/kayak, and do serious hiking.

In Wisconsin, the Door County peninsula bills itself as the Cape Cod of the Midwest. Eat a fish boil. Peninsula SP is particularly nice for walking, biking, swimming, and enjoying the views. You can take a ferry to Washington Island if you like.

My brother tells me there are a couple of really good museums on the north side of Chicago.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Don't exclude crossing the border. It can be affordable and uncomplicated. Many people live in Canada and drive into Detroit every day for work without a problem. I took 12 of my daughter's girl scout friends into Canada this past September, they were only 8, their parents weren't present, and they didn't need passports, (only birth certificates for minors). You do not need a passport to cross into Canada by car with your own minor children. You can get an enhanced license (which is cheaper than a passport) and your children only need their birth certificates to travel by car with their parents, until age 16. Those of us living on the border aren't intimidated, we do it all the time.

If you're brave enough to cross into Canada, try a Lake Superior Circle Tour and be sure to take the kids to Niagara Falls. I'm pretty sure Niagara is in the parenting traveling guidebook as a required sightseeing stop.

Lake Superior Circle tours are my dream.
Search Lake Superior Circle Tours for amazing trip ideas. It was 29 degrees a few years ago on our July 4th trip at Tahquamenon. Be sure to pack coats and gloves and bug spray!!

You've received lots of advice already, so here's my two cents without duplicating their advice.

Lake Michigan has the most crowds. On a weekend in the summer, it's almost impossible to get a campsite at a state park on the Lake. The farther north you go, the fewer people you'll see. Book every single campsite for state parks for your entire stay in Michigan in the lower peninsula, even for week days. You'll have more freedom in the UP but don't expect open campgrounds on Lake Michigan at any point in the summer.

Don't waste any time on Lake Erie.

Lake Huron is lovely and not as populated as Lake Michigan. It doesn't have the huge white sand dunes, but it has fewer people.

Traverse City is the single most overrated city I've been too. If you're staying there with family, you can day trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes, it's only 45 minutes away. If you need a campground, you'll want to stay at Platte River, set your alarm to book this site for the minute it's open. Be sure to stop by Cherry Republic. They have free samples and it's delicious. Ferry over to Manitou Islands, there are two, research which you'd prefer to visit. Tube down the Platte River.

Lake Superior is pure bliss. The beaches, the water, the color...spend lots of time on it and visit different areas, each beach is different. Some have sand, some have smooth rocks or agates, some have tons of drift wood, and some have sandstone. The Porkies has all of the above and on the same beach; their Ranger programs are amazing.
You can swim in Lake Superior. We've done it twice. The warmest spot in the Lake is in Whitefish Bay, Brimley state park.

You can't go to Michigan without visiting Mackinac Island. Stay at Wilderness state park, you'll thank me later. If you don't make it to the island, stop into Fort Michilimackinac. It's just like the Fort on the island, with fewer people. Don't take your camper to the fort, it won't fit.

While in the UP, be sure to visit Adventure Mine in Greenland, Mi. It's a closed copper mine that offers tours. My family thoroughly enjoyed this. Very educational, fun, etc, etc. 5 stars. I even bought the tshirt.

If you love national parks, go to Isle Royale and Voyageurs. They are all about the water.

Have a great time. Planning is half the fun!!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Can't thank you guys enough. I've added every mention into our Google Map. Now up to 30 points of interest!

Keep suggestions coming. Probably will end up scooting south along the western shore of Lake Michigan. Don't fancy the cities, but a quick stay in Milwaukee and Chicago are probably merited.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
At the west side of the Upper Peninsula is a 'waterfall trail'. Stop at a Visitor Center and they have maps to many falls. Most are easy to get to.

Fort Wilkins Historic State Park at Copper Harbor is a neat place - lots of history and beautiful area in the Upper Peninsula.

Stay at Bay Furnace national forest campground in Munising to tour Pictured Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore. Some Lake Superior lakefront sites. The late afternoon cruise is best for seeing the color on the rocks.

Stop at 'Da Yoopers Tourist Trap' in Ishpening for lots of laughs. Be sure to get some pasties for a scrumptious hearty lunch. They're a miner's sandwich that they took to work.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, Bond Falls........ We found it by "accident". Worth seeing at least once.

Lots to see in the UP, it's our favorite place to be in the fall.
Dan

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! I've been away from the computer all day and just getting home many hours after my bedtime! I'll read and respond in the morning, but this is amazing so far. Thanks.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, I hope I didn't scare everyone else away with my long post! I thought of another place you don't want to miss: Frankenmuth. The town has a Bavarian theme. Home of Bronner's Christmas Store (all year around Christmas decorations), Zehnder's Restaurant with their chicken dinners, and dozens of specialty shops and souvenir places. The Frankenmuth Brewery has a variety of good beers (from IPA to Dunkel) and good food; I recommend a pizza and a flight (several small sampler glasses of different beers). You could spend all day here.

If you go beyond the U.P., one area that stands out is the north shore of Superior in Minnesota. There's a series of nice state parks, most with waterfalls because there is a sudden drop-off in topography paralleling the shoreline. Be sure to turn off and see Palisade Head, where you can park and stroll to the edge of a cliff, with the lake straight down below you about 200 feet; if the weather is nice, you're likely to see people rappelling up and down the cliff face. There's a nice hike to a similar overlook just up the highway, in Tettegouche SP. You'll need reservations to camp in a state park here, they're popular, but without reservations you should be able to get into one of the NF CGs, like Eckbeck near Finland (small sites but a few are do-able). At many of these state parks you can find pleasant hikes along the riverbanks above & below the falls, and at one (Temperance or Cascade, I forget which) I saw teens jumping off the rocks into the river below, maybe 15 feet down. (Of course all the bikinis might prove hazardous and cause your boys to suffer eye strain.) At Grand Marais (yes there's one in MI and one in MN!), have a pizza at Sven & Ole's and then walk out past the coast guard station to Artist's Point. Then drive the Gunflint Highway to the NW from town, back into the wild woods where you can hear the loons; you have several NF CGs to choose from along there.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Since you'll be visiting Traverse City, definitely stay at Platte River Campground in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Get reservation ASAP. It's extremely popular - and it's a gem. We volunteered there for 9 seasons. It's an easy drive into Traverse.

Part of Sleeping Bear is South Manitou Island in Lake Michigan. You can do a day trip by taking the ferry from Leland. Bring your food/drinks along - no stores. We gave the lighthouse tours for 3 summers.

That whole area is awesome!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel