cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Prices & Mileage

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Starting to look at used trucks in order to pull a 5th wheel (don't have the 5th wheel yet). Will be looking at used, gas, 3/4 ton. I have never owned a truck before. I live in upstate NY. I can't believe the prices for trucks. And then there's the mileage on them. A couple I have seen were 2 to 3 years old and they had 50,000 to 80,000 miles on them.

Is this typical for a truck to have that many miles on them?
40 REPLIES 40

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Jayco-noslide wrote:
I don't own or need a truck so this is just a comment. I know diesels are supposed to last longer. But is the rest of the truck besides the motor really any different or better. Hundreds of non-motor parts can fail? Also, gas motors don't really wear out much now anyway do they?

You are 100% correct. All things equal, I still believe the internals of a diesel will outlast the gasser, but with good maintenance, both should still likely be running when the truck is a nothing but a bucket of bolts left around it.

Making the WHOLE package last is all about maintenance on the whole truck! Our 2001 Ram CTD is at 304,000 miles and a loaded Laramie SLT, and it all works.
Last year replaced the heater core and AC evaporator cleaned out heater box completely.
I don’t have seat covers still original cloth seats, have had the outside seam and seat resewed and seat cushion rebuilt.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm betting camping is going to turn into a rich man's fun but hey if you
want dual air conditioners, sofa beds, full size refrigerators with ice makers,
40 inch plus flat screens, queen beds, recliners, etc your going to
need more than a 1500 pick up to pull it and stop it on steep grades. I'm
looking at the new Ford Expedition and it looks like the hype is accurate but
sticker shock sort of gives you a lump in the throat. If this is you I would
look at new TT that are under 4000lbs like the one featured in this months
issue they can be a whole lot of fun just like the big ones and your tow vehicle
does not have to be a beast. I have a burbon 04 with almost 200,000 on it and
have been lucky, that 5.3 does the job but its tense on some steep grades have
to pull it down in low and that slows traffic for the natives who wish those
""""campers would go home. My RV weighs 6,000lbs and I keep the tanks empty
traveling. The new trucks are totally geared different so ask around especially
on camping trips. Read something confusing it said "these new trucks have gearing
that compromises towing" in reference to one manufacturers pickups?? What does that mean?
I have a four speed trans now they have 6 and 8 speed trans which require different axel ratios.
There is a lot to this camping thing.
I'm obviously facing a new truck purchase because of the cost we may just give
it up at my age. One thing I would look for in any camper is a large fresh
water tank over 50gal or get used to hauling five gal jugs of water and trying
to pour while holding it five feet off the ground. Hope
this helps.

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:
Starting to look at used trucks in order to pull a 5th wheel (don't have the 5th wheel yet). Will be looking at used, gas, 3/4 ton. I have never owned a truck before. I live in upstate NY. I can't believe the prices for trucks. And then there's the mileage on them. A couple I have seen were 2 to 3 years old and they had 50,000 to 80,000 miles on them.

you need to look hard. A lot of people bought the GM 8.1 Alison for primary towing duties. Mine is an 05 with 80 thou on the clock and mint condition. You need to look, saw one last month with 85k and leather for 18 grand.
The older we get, the faster we go

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:

Just an FYI if you are going to look at 3/4T trucks. I have a 2016 CC 4x4 standard box w/6.0L, 6 spd auto and 4.10's. My truck is limited to a 13,000 conventional TT or 14,000 5th wheel with a max of 3000 lb pin weight.

As mentioned you need to know what 5th wheel you are considering then search for the proper truck to haul it.

I just bought a 30' TT a couple months ago and plan to start camping again this year. Loaded weight is just under 11,000 and I have no problems towing.

As far as used trucks there are low mile trucks out there that do get traded in or sold outright, you just have to be in the right place at the right time to find one. When you know what 5er you're going to buy stop at your local truck dealerships and let them know you're looking for a low mile used truck with capabilities to haul the 5er. I've done that a couple times with success over the years. I'm one of those guys that doesn't put a lot of miles on a vehicle and when I trade in mine have well below average miles.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
And prices vary widely like 10-15k based on trim levels.
The “work truck” versions of newer trucks are now pretty plush IMO. Look at the XL/XLT or Tradesman lines. Way less money for a comparable truck vs a lariat platinum Laramie etc. still have the same mechanicals decent seats, power accessories, cruise Bluetooth etc.

Exactly. Over on the Cummins forum a guys asking about a 2012 2500 CTD, 94,000 miles asking $33.5K. Yikes. I paid $33K for the same truck only an ST brand new. I got carpet, chrome appearance group, PW, etc.
I don't get it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And prices vary widely like 10-15k based on trim levels.
The “work truck” versions of newer trucks are now pretty plush IMO. Look at the XL/XLT or Tradesman lines. Way less money for a comparable truck vs a lariat platinum Laramie etc. still have the same mechanicals decent seats, power accessories, cruise Bluetooth etc.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
With buying a truck from up in your area, watch for rust also.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you to all who responded.

I guess if I want to do this I am going to have to suck it up. As I had said I have never owned a truck before so I am having sticker shock as I have been looking.

The reason I am looking now to get the truck is that I am still working and will be able to pay it off before I retire. Then when I retire I will pay cash for the 5'ver and be debt free.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
I don't own Diesel so this is just observation; do a Google search on hpfp grenade

Don't want a diesel, only gas.

VERY SMART MAN!

Not to many helpful posts here, but its hard to know what to say.

Personally, I shop new and learn what the real sales price is vs MSRP. Then I shop used for comparable versions and see where those deals end up.

More often than not, I buy new because the used prices wont drop 20-30% from new pricing as it needs to.

I have only bought one used vehicle in 15 years but it turned out to be a very good financial move because not a single thing has gone wrong in over 100k miles, and its got 170k miles now! (Toyota 5.7L)

Personally, the Ford 6.2L or Nissan 5.6L is what I would be shopping for if Toyota no longer fit my needs. (Actually, I have shopped them both and many more for a couple years now...I simply have no reason to change.)

smurfs_of_war
Explorer
Explorer
A user (SMI) over on Ram Forum just turned 200,000 hauling cars all over the place with his gas HD.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cases in point, our current 06 SRT and 07 Ram have 135 and 160k miles respectively.
Yes there's been some repairs, but the major components sure run and feel like they've got many more miles left in them.
Car just got new rotors for the first time recently, truck is still on the originals. Neither has had an alignment and don't need one. Haven't replaced any steering components and they're still serviceable and most all the engine accessories are original, but of course they are getting closer to "could fail tomorrow" status.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
smurfs_of_war wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
100,000 miles on a gasoline engine, and they are ready for an over-haul.

Maybe back in the 60's or 70's. 100k on a gas engine now is no sweat. Welcome to the 21st century, your tour guide should be here shortly.

Eggzactly! I'm "only" 45 years old, but still have that feeling somehow from the olden days that 100k is when a vehicle may likely need to be "rebuilt".
I'm pretty confident, looking back, that beginning in the 90s, that "100k" started turning to "200k". Now 200k or possibly more is the old 100k.
Thing is, a lot of it boils down to care, maintenance and preventative repairs....no surprise. Someone in the rust belt who drives the vehicle year round, parked outside, doesn't see a car wash between thanksgiving and Easter is still going to have rusted out junker in 10 years even though it may only have 100k and the rust isn't just fender wells, it's everything in the undercarriage and the repair costs then qualify it as a "junker" because the brakes locked up and the oil pan rusted out, etc.
all hypothetical things here, but I'm not off by much. Drive back to WI this fall and half the 10 year old trucks like ours looked like C RAP.
If my finances dictated, I wouldn't have issue with buying a newish used truck with 50-100k miles if it was babied and expect relatively trouble free use for another 100k.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
smurfs_of_war wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:

Maybe back in the 60's or 70's. 100k on a gas engine now is no sweat. Welcome to the 21st century, your tour guide should be here shortly.

:B

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
kw/00 wrote:
smurfs_of_war wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:

Correct!! I still can't believe that people still think this.... truth is both engines if taken care of will outlast the truck that there installed in.... the key is maintaining both engines.

X2 or 3 or 4. Had a 2000 Silverado with 5.3 that had 268000 on the ticker when sold in 2013. Still used no oil and had the notorious 99/00 piston slap when cold from day one. PA road salt was it's demise or I probably would of kept it around. I have had many since and during way up over 100K, and a few over 200K. I can not remember many engine issues with any, other than a sensor or two and a couple of coil packs.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?