Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: WD Hitch Measurements - Need help with fine tuning
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> WD Hitch Measurements - Need help with fine tuning

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a hitch like yours. The adjustment bolt u see instead of washers is a nice upgrade of the hitch. The problem I had with mine was it wanted to back off, leaving an annoying gap in it. I added a nut and then a washer and it took care of it.

CSCustomCars

Schenectady, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campigloo wrote:

I have a hitch like yours. The adjustment bolt u see instead of washers is a nice upgrade of the hitch. The problem I had with mine was it wanted to back off, leaving an annoying gap in it. I added a nut and then a washer and it took care of it.

I’ll keep that in mind for the future if mine decides to do the same thing. It was extremely difficult to turn for me (i do have some pretty bad carpal tunnel though), so time will tell really if I’ll need to do that.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campigloo wrote:

That's why a lot of hitches use washers to set the head angle. More hassle to dial in, but they never move.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

CSCustomCars

Schenectady, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, today was leaving day. I’ve managed about 90 miles so far, stopping at almost every parking area and reat stop to readjust this hitch.

So, results so far.

4 links was scary. Couldn’t go faster than 55, sway all over the place, bars were pointed up at the ends slightly.

Dropped to 5, better. Can do 65 max before its starts to sway. Left it at 5 for about 40 miles and been doing about 60. When trucks pass i can feel the wind push and pull the trailer. If i go above 65, it starts to sway pretty good.

Remember I don’t have the friction sway control on yet.

I’ve attached some pictures of the set up here. I’d like to get opinions if i should drop down to 6 and see where that takes me.

Also, this trailer is heavy.

[image]

* This post was edited 01/15/18 02:30pm by an administrator/moderator *

CSCustomCars

Schenectady, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update. Dropped it to 6, let the trailer down, and the ass end of my truck was sagging, so i put it back up to 5. 4 is scary, 6 is useless.

Alright, so i do have some questions, problems or something. Maybe I’m just not used to how this hitch works.

Every time i get passed by a truck or even a large car/suv, i feel a suction towards that vehicle, then a push away as i exit their wind trail. Anything over 65 is sketc hy (at least for me). It will sway back and forth, pushing me around a bit pver 65. The rear end of my truck is down a bit, and my headlights do point upwards a touch. Nothing terrible. It feels like i need more tongue weight, but i need the butt of my truck to sit up a bit.

I’m at a hotel for the night cause my trailer is still winterized. When i got here, I immediately took everything out of the bed that i added after putting the hitch together and put it in the trailer, some in the basement, but i put the inverter generator in the back of the trailer. The bed now has the same ammount of stuff in it now that it had when i installed the hitch. The rear has raised slightly now without the additional weight.

In that picture i posted above, you can see my truck squating a bit, but the trailer is still very slightly nose high. The trailer is closer to level than my truck was.

Do any of my towing “issues” have anything to do with my short wheelbase truck and a 26ft trailer?

Right now I’m just trying to make it to georgia so i can set up my new home. When i get down there, i may go to a service center and have them fiddle with it to get it right, and maybe have them install the sway control too.

*edit* i just studied that picture i posted, and it sure looks lile i have a bad hitch head angle. I wonder if i rake that hitch head towards the trailer some more,, that would increase the bar tension on the chains, lifting more off the rear and more spread out? Am i thinking that correctly?

* This post was edited 01/15/18 06:50pm by CSCustomCars *

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will feel passing trucks tug at you even with a perfect setup. As long as no sway is induced, it's all good.

Try to get the trailer to set level or slightly nose down.

It sounds like your tongue is light. The WD hitch will not compensate for that.

You are correct that the head angle seems to be too upright.

You shouldn't be pulling faster than 65 anyway, but the trailer should not sway, even if you do.

A trip to the scales may be in order to eliminate the guesswork.

CSCustomCars

Schenectady, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

You will feel passing trucks tug at you even with a perfect setup. As long as no sway is induced, it's all good.

Try to get the trailer to set level or slightly nose down.

It sounds like your tongue is light. The WD hitch will not compensate for that.

You are correct that the head angle seems to be too upright.

You shouldn't be pulling faster than 65 anyway, but the trailer should not sway, even if you do.

A trip to the scales may be in order to eliminate the guesswork.

I’m going to lower the head angle before i take off tomorrow morning, and readjust the chains as needed.

A couple large square semi’s passed me at some considerable speed and they always caused a bit of sway. However, the more streamlined semi’s did not induce sway. That car carrier one was nuts. He had to be doing close to 80, and i was around 63 at the time and that was a white nuckle momment.

I have never been too, nor opperated any truck scales. I will need to research how to do it and what the results mean

TKW

Vancouver, BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 01:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same hitch as yours without anti-sway device on my new-to-me TT and towed almost a whole season with it. The sway problem you are having I am quite familiar with. Playing with the chain link adjustment would have little effect on sway. Its main function is to distribute load between the front and rear axles of your TV thus prevent steering loss due to lifting of the front wheels. I eventually sold the hitch on CL and installed an Equal-i-zer WD hitch with built-in sway control. The result is night and day. (My justification for not simply add a friction sway control like yours is to avoid drilling holes on the TT frame. I am mechanically inclined and known to SCREW up anything.)
Your short wheel base TV and TT combo may have something to do with the sway but not as much as the generator you placed at the rear of your TT.
The ideal TW for towing is 12-15% of your TT GVW. Any load placed behind TT axle reduces TW. Once it's below 12% and you will not tow good.
From your posted fender measurement, your TW does not seem heavy enough to lift the front end thus I speculate your TW is low for your truck to start with. My suggestion is to weigh your TV/TT combo on a CAT scale. 1st pass, loaded combo, FA, RA and TT. 2nd pass, same as 1st pass except with WD spring bars relaxed. 3rd pass TV alone. Post your result here and there'll be lots of experienced members chime in to help. You can also search this forum for detail instruction on "How to weigh your rig".
To level your TT, you may want to get a longer shank than your existing one. The stock Eaz-lift one offers very little adjustment. Changing the pitch angle may give you more chain link adjustment but won't level your TT.

CSCustomCars

Schenectady, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the suggestions. I have a drop mount with me that is a touch longer than the one that came with the hitch. I was considering checking that one and setting up the hitch head on that one down another inch would should bring the nose of the trailet down.

The generator is 50 pounds. I put it in the rear cause it was the only spot i had left that it would fit. There is also a 20 pound bicycle in the rear and a 10 pound charcoal grill. There is less than 100 pounds rear of the axles. I’m positive I don’t have enough tongue weight so I’m going to also redistribute the load in the trailer before i head off today. Put more heavy bulky stuff in front. Most of the load is spread put through the tt above the axles and forward of the axles, but i think most of the bulky stuff ended up right over the tt axles. Like i said I’m going to move some stuff around today and see if that helps

Please excuse my multiple typos, I’m on my phone. I’m trying to catch them as i go.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The amount of stuff in the bed has nothing to do with the functioning of the WD hitch. I believe your issues are related to the nose-up attitude of the TT, and too little tongue weight. Putting the generator in the rear of the TT reduces tongue weight, and will only make it worse.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> WD Hitch Measurements - Need help with fine tuning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS