cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch Head Question

RickeyS1
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have two different tow vehicles, and if so do you have a hitch head adjusted for each vehicle or do you adjust every time you swap/change vehicle. I have a equalizer hitch and just bought a new truck but may tow with either vehicle (which are way different). So was wondering what other people do.

Thanks,
Rick
15 REPLIES 15

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RickeyS1 wrote:
I do have a torque wrench ...

BUT is it capable of 320 ft-lbs which is Progress Mfg's recommended torque for the two shank bolts? I'm not saying you don't but not many of us will have a torque wrench in our workshop that's rated beyond ~ 250 ft-lbs, I know I don't. I got lucky back when I ran a 1,000 / 10,000 lb Equal-i-zer with my K-Z Spree as I had a friend who did own a 600 ft-lb torque wrench, a monster for sure. I also initially used it to secure the hitch ball to the head as that required 430 ft-lbs. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RickeyS1
Explorer
Explorer
I do have a torque wrench and Iโ€™m leaning towards setting each up record everything so when I do swap it shouldnโ€™t be much of an iuuse. As someone stated more than likely will end up towing with one vehicle. Thanks

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
well if you have so much time on your hands and can spend an hour or two making the change from one TV to another that's great. but to set up each tv once and just leave the hitch head in each tv that's even better.

LVJJJ wrote:
Since I know what the position is for each different TV, I can reset the head in about 10 minutes, or less. No biggy. I do have more time than money.

And presumably you also have a torque wrench rated to properly torque those two Equal-i-zer head shank bolts, which because of the torque required is not a wrench many own, in which case it would be a "biggie". ๐Ÿ˜„

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
well if you have so much time on your hands and can spend an hour or two making the change from one TV to another that's great. but to set up each tv once and just leave the hitch head in each tv that's even better.

Since I know what the position is for each different TV, I can reset the head in about 10 minutes, or less. No biggy. I do have more time than money.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
What he said.

RickeyS1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replyโ€™s, and yes it is a equalizer hitch so the angle would need to be adjusted also.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Too much hassle to re-adjust each time you switch. Keep it simple and get a 2nd head.

In other words, two heads are better than one.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Too much hassle to re-adjust each time you switch. Keep it simple and get a 2nd head.

In other words, two heads are better than one.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If you have to readjust it often, it will soon become a huge PITA. Like Sound Guy says above, if you need to change the head angle (which is likely) it will be even more inconvenient. I'd just go with two heads if it were me.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have different trailers I tow (same thing but different). I have two hitch heads and drawbars I use depending on which trailer I'm towing. I also have different bars, 600 lbs and 1000 lbs.

I would not want to be raising and lowering a hitch, adjusting or whatever depending on what vehicle I was using. Just me but it would be worth it to me to spend the few hundred $ to get a different hitch and drawbar.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
The OP referred to his hitch as an "equalizer" but if it truly is an Equal-i-zer brand hitch then another potential issue is the head angle may have to be changed when switching from one vehicle to the other. Anyone who owns an Equal-i-zer knows this is a real PITA as it means pulling the head apart and changing the number of washers in the head, which in turn means having a torque wrench on hand that will properly torque those two shank bolts. ๐Ÿ˜ž Perhaps the OP could be more specific and tell us just which hitch he really has. ๐Ÿ˜‰

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I have just one adjustable hitch head and adjust it as necessary when switching tow vehicles. Pretty expensive hitch head cause its an Equal-I-zer. For a while I was loaning my TT to my son, so had a third adjustment to make for his '05 Dodge Ram. He's since bought one.
Don't mind it at all, I have all the big tools in the back of the Burb so they are easy to access.

1965 Chevy Van
1994 GMC Suburban
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro