cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

10K diesel Onan fault code 14

RicB
Explorer
Explorer
My Onan generator runs fine with the main breaker on the generator off. Turn the breaker on and it surges in/out and will finally shut down and throw a fault code number 14 which indicates over frequency.

Any ideas what to look for?
2006 42' Allegro Bus
FMCA - F311884
4 REPLIES 4

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lack of fuel is a very good recommendation and changing the fuel filter is the cheapest place to start unless it is almost new. Also, the fuel pump is a know problem area, enough so that I carry a spare one along with a filter.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect your surging under load is lack of fuel. Could be a restricted fuel filter.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think your problem is one of the loads in your DP. Turn off all the 20 or 15 amp breakers in your 120V panel. With generator running start turning the breakers back on. Your AC/ heat pumps have a time delay so you need to wait until the compressor kicks on before going to the next breaker.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Disconnect everything you can from the other side of the main breaker, try again.

Could be a bad motor in something or a bad AC capacitor in the converter. Just grasping at troubleshooting straws here..
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed