cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

oil change

tdgulfstream
Explorer
Explorer
What is the average cost oil change and filters on a diesel class a?
21 REPLIES 21

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
janstey58 wrote:
Just beware of Speedco's "up charges" that they don't run by you until the bill is tallied up. Ran up my bill to over $400.

Never had them do that. They always ask before doing anything to the coach. You have to witness them torquing the drain plug. I've even been invited to go into the pit with them to look underneath the rig. Perhaps different locations have different rules, dunno. One should always be vigilant....Dennis
X2
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
...if you do your own maintenance on your RV, do it like your life depends on it

Yep, the reason I do most of my own maintenance. I'll be the one stuck on the side of the road in BFE if something is overlooked, not the tech.

I'll concede it's not for many owners, these are complex machines and not the best thing to learn on. Unless you've already got the tools and skills, better to pay the man.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
janstey58 wrote:
Just beware of Speedco's "up charges" that they don't run by you until the bill is tallied up. Ran up my bill to over $400.

Never had them do that. They always ask before doing anything to the coach. You have to witness them torquing the drain plug. I've even been invited to go into the pit with them to look underneath the rig. Perhaps different locations have different rules, dunno. One should always be vigilant....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
It's worth it to me to let someone else do the work.
x2. Changing generator oil is messy enough.. I don't need gallons of it!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
$300 @ Speedco. Includes filters, oil and fuel, lube and radiator check... as you can see from the above posts, though, each one seems to differ in what maintenance you are doing. Some engines require 15qts/oil, some 28. Mine takes 32. It's worth it to me to let someone else do the work. Draining 32 qts of oil means I'd have to drain it probably 8 times to complete it, move those 32 qts 32 old milk jugs, then cart them to the recycle center. Not really time nor labor efficient. I'd rather play golf, cards, play on the computer or take a nap, which I can do while they're changing my oil...:).....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
X2
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Somehow I don't think the OP was looking for DIY costs.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
We had a guy in the shop last week during the cold snap here. Cheaped out on chassis Mx for a couple of years. Just changed the oil and filter himself. One of his fuel filters (the one that is hard to reach) was totally plugged with gelled fuel and algae. Stored the coach with 1/8 tank, then started it up to head for FL. Made it about 15 miles before the engine started bucking.

He was in the shop for 6 hours at $140 an hour, plus 2 fuel filters, an air filter and 32 quarts of Rotella and an oil filter. Like the old commercial says; pay me now or pay me later.

If you're going to do your own maintenance, make sure you do all of it.

I agree completely. To add to this,if you are looking to buy a coach from someone that does their own maintenance, make sure that you have it inspected first by a QUALIFIED mechanic, just to make sure that everything has been done, and done correctly.
This may save you a $10,000 bill that I received after a seller left something loose. I made it 260 miles before the problem showed up.
I worked on my own airplanes and if you do your own maintenance on your RV, do it like your life depends on it

I agree totally. A few years back after Coach Care serviced my dp and I had returned home, I brought it over to the garage to pack for an upcoming trip. I noticed it was down on the left rear drastically. After looking it over I found a clamp has slipped off the linkage to the air bag and the bag was not inflating. I raised the rear with the hyd jacks and place 4x4's along the length of the trailing arms. I then lowered till it was resting on the 4x4's. I could barely get enough of my body to the linkage to slip it back together an then put a new clamp on. I called Coach Care and because they felt they had missed it during the service they asked me to bring it back to them. They readjusted the ride heights and put all new clamps on and did not charge me a cent. It pays to have a relationship with good company in my honest opinion.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
We had a guy in the shop last week during the cold snap here. Cheaped out on chassis Mx for a couple of years. Just changed the oil and filter himself. One of his fuel filters (the one that is hard to reach) was totally plugged with gelled fuel and algae. Stored the coach with 1/8 tank, then started it up to head for FL. Made it about 15 miles before the engine started bucking.

He was in the shop for 6 hours at $140 an hour, plus 2 fuel filters, an air filter and 32 quarts of Rotella and an oil filter. Like the old commercial says; pay me now or pay me later.

I agree completely. To add to this,if you are looking to buy a coach from someone that does their own maintenance, make sure that you have it inspected first by a QUALIFIED mechanic, just to make sure that everything has been done, and done correctly.
This may save you a $10,000 bill that I received after a seller left something loose. I made it 260 miles before the problem showed up.
I worked on my own airplanes and if you do your own maintenance on your RV, do it like your life depends on it

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I get the gen serviced and engine once per year at a Cummins Coach Care facility. All filters including fuel, oil, lube job and bumper to bumper inspection run me 638.00. Last year the tech found a bolt had vibrated out of the engine a/c mount. While it had not gave me any indications of trouble it would not have made it another year with out causing some woes on the road. This includes coolant check as well. I do all my other oil, fuel changes myself on my other vehicles including the tractors but accessing all the zerk fittings, and getting to all the filters on the dp are a bit challenging and unsafe. I just prefer having an expert to do it.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I do my own, takes five gallons of Rotella oil for diesel engines and I buy my oil filter for about twenty five bucks. So all together about ninety dollars. I have the Caterpillar 3126-E holds 19 quarts of oil.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Mine takes about 15.5 liters (4 and one half US gallons). I just picked up a couple boxes of Chevron Delo 400 from Costco for $60.00, $10.00 a gallon. My oil filters from Cummins cost less than $10.00. I find it much easier to do an oil change on the motorhome than my car. For me, about $60.00.