cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trip planning

Povo
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone traveled between Reno and South Lake Tahoe on 580? We will be in our 29' Artic Fox 5ver and wondering if there are any road concerns. I know the west side of the lake has Emerald Bay that I really would want to avoid but I'm hoping the east side is an easier drive.
5 REPLIES 5

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Roads and Routes forum from 5th wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
I sometimes worry about certain routes, so I use google maps and use the earth feature, then zoom down on parts of the route that might be problematic for rv's. You can also drag the little yellow man figure over the the route to get the same street level view, then move down the route to check the curves and turns, etc. etc.

I still use other folks advice, but doing the map thing sets my mind at ease a bit more.
Tom & Carol

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spent 1/2 my life in that region---go and enjoy the area. Plan ahead if you're camping, as the options might be limited.

Povo
Explorer
Explorer
This would be in August so I would guess weather won't be an issue but I'll pay attention to any wind advisories. Thanks for the response!

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
580 is between Reno and Carson City and absent high winds (there would be advisories) is fine.

The east side around Lake Tahoe is a good two lane road and no problem. The west side to Emerald Bay from South Lake Tahoe has some hairpin curves but my neighbor with a fifth wheel about your size says it is OK with some care. I would avoid it with my 32' TT.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y