Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel or Toter or Class A (Diesel)

JOS66
Explorer
Explorer
Good Day Everyone

We are preparing to buy either a 5th Wheel, Class A or Toter. We are trying to decide which one to go with. Now I know this horse has been ridden to death, but I need some different points of view from people with experience. Feedback from RV owners that have owned both 5th Wheel and Class A and/or Toter would really be great as well.

To clear the air and simplify things, I have vast experience towing and handling both types of Setups. So dealing with all aspects of diesels (have owned many) and trailers (same thing but not 5th Wheels) are not an issue.

What I really need help and testimonies for is your experience with either or both. The Pros and Cons and What would you do different.

Before my wife and I spend such a large amount of money, I want to hear from the RV Community that is dealing with and living in these things everyday.

Here are our details:

1. 3 people (2 adults / 1 (16) year old) and 1-2 Pups traveling
2. Will do mostly 1-4 week trips. But may do 2-4 month trips.
3. Prefer Heavy Duty with all trailers and vehicles
4. I have experience with RVing
5. Thinking about taking a Golf Cart or ATV or 2 Dirt Bikes (not on top of list)
6. Traveling Nation wide and into Canada

Please also tell us your preferred 5th Wheel or Motor Home (Class A or Toter) and the reason why it is your preferred.

Thanks so much in advance. I pray that everyone has a Blessed 2018!!!!
11 REPLIES 11

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 3 5ers, one class c, a class A gasser, and I'm in my '07 38' DP. I won't go back to any trailer.

MH is just TOO easy to set up. YMMV
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
We had three 5th wheel trailers and like towing then. All were towable with our F250 SuperDuty Diesel. After a trip from the west coast to Kentucky to Ohio to Indiana then back to home on the west coast my wife said no more trailers. Bought a 40โ€™ Tiffin Class A and a PT Cruiser towed. Two trips and I wonโ€™t go back to a trailer of any type.

The sales woman said โ€œThe difference between you in your 5th wheel and me in my Class A is by the time youโ€™re finished setting up Iโ€™m two cocktails ahead of youโ€.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

JOS66
Explorer
Explorer
Hey 2gypsies,

Picking one of the Toys, I mentioned is all that I would consider taking. Am looking at a Hydralift to carry one of the toys and use a Tow Bar with a GMC Sierra 1500 4x4.

Thanks for the reply.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Check out these sites to get an idea of what's out there for what price and floorplans.

http://motorhomesoftexas.com/c#/coachesrv/all/default/all/all/all

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

JOS66
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Everyone for the feedback!!!!

Last night we decided that we will go with and look for a 40-45ft Used DP. Will run that for 2-3 years and then I will get a new or nearly new Show Hauler. If I can find a Toter at the right price, that has been very well maintained, I may take that. 5th Wheels are really nice, but I have had Duallys and I do not want anything that will not go through an Express Tunnel Car Wash (YES I AM OLDER AND LAZY WHEN IT COMES TO WASHING OUR CARS). Like several have said about running around town, they do not like the big trucks. I would only buy a short bed, 350/3500 Single Wheel Crew Cab Truck and that would not handle 38-40ft 5th.

So a DP or Toter it is, with a toad.

Question:

1. Which Brand DP 2014-2010 (40-45ft) would you go with, that has a minimum of 10,000 Tow Capacity? CAT, Cummins or whatever does not matter on the engine. But would like 400hp or more.

2. Can a GMC Yukon 4x4, be towed with a Tow Bar?

3. If not, how do you handle Trailer Parking at the RV Parks, if I chose to use a Trailer for the Yukon?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We full-timed 8 years in a 33' 5th wheel and 8 years in a 40' motorhome. We disliked driving the big truck around and absolutely loved towing the Jeep with the motorhome. The Jeep gave us lots of fun in the backcountry.

If traveling Canada and the western states I think I'd leave the golf cart behind. They're not used like in the SE states unless you stay in big expensive golf resorts. If you're going to be in places to use the dirt bikes/ATVs you won't need golf carts. However, how will you tow a car and bring all your toys?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I know what a toter is.

We had 5th wheels for 12 years, TTs before that a ways. The 5th wheels were OK, but with 3 different units I really got tired of the suspension problems from cheap chassis. We went to a much heavier 5th wheel to try and improve the quality, but it forced me into a dually truck which I absolutely hated.

We finally went to a Class A DP. Everything about it more more Robust. I do miss my recliner in the 5er, but that's about the end of it.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Naturally, you can pull a brand new 5th with a used truck but if you get a used Class A, EVERYTHING is used.

That's not a big deal. Everyone drives a used car, truck or RV. ๐Ÿ™‚

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no real world experience with a toter(own a diesel pusher) but I have looked extensively into the toter/ truck conversion category. All I would add is that if you want a heavy duty 5th wheel of any length, your going to need the pulling and stopping power of a big rig, IMHO. The Toter would be my ultimate hauler, a toter with a bed large enough for your Bikes/golf cart, a toter with self containment. If you haven't checked out "Racing Junk" .com, do so. Have fun looking...
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you already have a comfortable and capable truck to tow a 5th wheel? If you don't be sure to add the expensive cost of a new truck.
For the price, a 5th wheel will give you more for your money than a Class A of the same cost. Naturally, you can pull a brand new 5th with a used truck but if you get a used Class A, EVERYTHING is used.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome to the forums...it is against the rules to post the same question in two different forums. In the FW you will get "you need a TH" and here you will get some different options. Tell me what the 16 year old will be doing in two years.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...