cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trimark door latch broke

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went to open the door to the MH it would not open. I had to climb in threw the passenger window. I removed the 3 screws holding the inside plate thinking I could then remove the whole assy but the door latch was holding it and the screen door frame was in the way so I could not move the latch back with a card or screwdriver. After several attempts of trying to slide the broken latch out with a pick I called Trimark for help but were of little help except to say I had to drill a series of holes in the inside plate to remove the broken latch and they were going to send me an Email showing were to drill the holes but I never got it from them. They also informed me that new latch was $180 and a latch kit with a steel latch was $280. The latch is made of zinc which is very weak. This latch was replaced about 5 years ago. A quick search shows that these Trimark latches are problematic so I was not going to order another on from them. What I ended up doing was to add a steel return flange on the broken end of the plunger and held in place with a flush rivet. I first tried to hold it with a screw but the zinc was too soft to hold a thread. It works fine now. I think by lubricating the latch periodically it will put less stress on the zinc latch as it slides back and forth.
15 REPLIES 15

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
wildmanbaker wrote:
Executive wrote:
Eight bucks at Home Depot - includes 2 keys.....Dennis 🙂

Lock

So, Dennis. Does this look good on your MH? What does your wife think of it? LOL.
Jim

:W :W :W ....I'll just leave it right there....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

bigB42
Explorer
Explorer
I just use the dead bolt
ken

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
The Trimark latch on our MH broke on our way home and it was no fun, I will leave it at that. You can replace the lock with the same thing from Amazon for around $100. After our experience there was no way I would ever buy another Trimark product. If you look around there are several companies that make locks that will work and are of a better stronger design. Do your homework and you can find locks that will fit in the existing hole. I went with a Bauer with the keypad, fit fine in the hole and works great. I didn't even have to change out the striker plate. the Bauer striker plate has a better finish but the old one would have been too much work to get out of the door frame so left it alone. Jim.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Owned the coach for seven years and over Thanksgiving the second lock set failed so this one is the third that I know of. Considering my failure rate the first owner probably replace it once. $96.60 for a replacement from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VNDDTG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes that is the one I bought last time, but after two failures I was not going to buy a third one from them. I posted this to say if you look at the total design they could easily have sold just the latch made from steel for several dollars but they do not. Trimark wants to keep selling this zinc latch that breaks or sell you a kit for double the price. God forbid if an older couple got locked inside during a fire or heart attack or some other health crisis, it is very difficult to fit through that window. I trust the steel return flange that I installed will last longer than the zinc flange.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Owned the coach for seven years and over Thanksgiving the second lock set failed so this one is the third that I know of. Considering my failure rate the first owner probably replace it once. $96.60 for a replacement from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VNDDTG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was $13 in OKC and my son crawled in the window and replaced it. Always kept it greased with white grease but they do wear.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
When the Trimark door latch on our previous coach broke the bolt, I had a local machine shop make a new one for me from stainless steel. About $25 as I recall. Our current coach has a Bargman latch that's been working fine for 17 years...

20 bucks, not stainless though. I oil it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
When the Trimark door latch on our previous coach broke the bolt, I had a local machine shop make a new one for me from stainless steel. About $25 as I recall. Our current coach has a Bargman latch that's been working fine for 17 years...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:

Lock

So, Dennis. Does this look good on your MH? What does your wife think of it? LOL.
Jim
Wildmanbaker

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III

Lock
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My lock did the same thing. It was a pita to get it out. Plus the new lock required the striker plate to be replaced.

My old lock did last for 9 years--but I am NOT a happy camper about the materials used in the lock.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
wildtoad wrote:
Their pricing is way out of line. I had to do essentially the same thing a few years ago except I didn’t have to drill any holes. Can’t remember the exact steps taken, but I did have to crawl in a windows over the dinette. ANyway I went to CW and found a direct replacement for the whole thing and it was no where close to either of the two prices.
If I remember correctly I bought the last one on line for about $100.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
msturtz wrote:
Pictures please!
Unfortunately it is all back together now.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Their pricing is way out of line. I had to do essentially the same thing a few years ago except I didn’t have to drill any holes. Can’t remember the exact steps taken, but I did have to crawl in a windows over the dinette. ANyway I went to CW and found a direct replacement for the whole thing and it was no where close to either of the two prices.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT