cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ramp Door Reinforcement

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for ideas on ways to add some strength to our ramp door. We primarily use our toy hauler for our Jeep, and it puts a pretty good strain on the ramp door when we load it. I am currently using old timber planks to spread the load, but it's cumbersome and just something I'd like to do away with. My thoughts would be some sort of flip down jacks or supports that mount in the center span of the door, and can be adjusted for uneven terrain when the ramp is deployed for loading. I don't want to put anything on the top/inside of the ramp, as that would become a tripping hazard when we have it setup as the elevated patio... Anyhow, just looking for ideas or input from anyone that has done something similar? Thanks in advance!
'18 Jayco Alante 31R
20 REPLIES 20

Singleton3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen folks use the following to load Jeeps into TH. Myself, I had a custom TH built and ended up having a HD door built with a load capacity of 8k.

https://www.discountramps.com/auto_ramps/c/4120/

dedmiston
TWZMYJP wrote:
Sorry for all the hassles folks, I certainly did not intend to ruffle any feathers by asking what I thought was a simple question, and further asking for the thread to stay on topic. Very much to Y-Guy's point, the Jeep and overall load in question are in fact well below the manufacturer's ratings, as it's a modified 1947 CJ-2A that weighs all of 2845 pounds fully fueled and ready for the trails... Regardless of that, the ramp door does bow slightly while driving up, so I'm simply asking for ideas on how to prevent the bowing. I've received some good input, so if it helps keep this place cleaned up, please lock or delete this thread entirely. Thanks.

You're good. Carry on. Post pics.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy
I'd love to see some photos of that CJ-2A!

No need to clean this place up, the maid hasn't been by in years 😉

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for all the hassles folks, I certainly did not intend to ruffle any feathers by asking what I thought was a simple question, and further asking for the thread to stay on topic. Very much to Y-Guy's point, the Jeep and overall load in question are in fact well below the manufacturer's ratings, as it's a modified 1947 CJ-2A that weighs all of 2845 pounds fully fueled and ready for the trails... Regardless of that, the ramp door does bow slightly while driving up, so I'm simply asking for ideas on how to prevent the bowing. I've received some good input, so if it helps keep this place cleaned up, please lock or delete this thread entirely. Thanks.
'18 Jayco Alante 31R

dedmiston
Wild Card wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Never seen a toyhauler with more than 2500 to 3500lbs capacity in the cargo area.

There are Toy Haulers that have more and some are off the factory floor and some are customized.

As for your PM to me critiquing my reply to the OP, I will point out to you that you don't know all the information (nor do I), but you assumed he's over weight when that is not what he was even asking about. Many Jeeps do not weigh in at 5,000. You seem to assume he is hauling a current stock fully loaded Jeep Wrangler JK, but the TJs & CJ's are very common for off roaders and weigh much less. For those that use them off road some reduce the weight even more. For that matter maybe he's hauling a classic Jeep that weights in around 2,000# - we don't know and really it doesn't mater the question he asks comes up on here often as people load Harley's and other heavy toys, many doors bulge a bit when loading these. Thus why he asked for help.

Glad you got all your facts straight buddy.

For what it's worth, I'm the one who deleted your post last night, because I thought you were rude to the OP. Looks like I was more right than I thought.

Fix your attitude or take it someplace else.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Never seen a toyhauler with more than 2500 to 3500lbs capacity in the cargo area.

There are Toy Haulers that have more and some are off the factory floor and some are customized.

As for your PM to me critiquing my reply to the OP, I will point out to you that you don't know all the information (nor do I), but you assumed he's over weight when that is not what he was even asking about. Many Jeeps do not weigh in at 5,000. You seem to assume he is hauling a current stock fully loaded Jeep Wrangler JK, but the TJs & CJ's are very common for off roaders and weigh much less. For those that use them off road some reduce the weight even more. For that matter maybe he's hauling a classic Jeep that weights in around 2,000# - we don't know and really it doesn't mater the question he asks comes up on here often as people load Harley's and other heavy toys, many doors bulge a bit when loading these. Thus why he asked for help.

Glad you got all your facts straight buddy.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Y-Guy
Wild Card wrote:

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think anyone is trying to derail the thread. If weight is causing an issue with the ramp door it likely will also cause issues with the trailer floor so you may want to address that at the same time.

The door is only temporarily stressed during loading and unloading. The trailer floor will be stressed the whole time the Jeep is riding along. It can definitely be done but you will likely need to pull the door and floor apart and add extra support to the frame and then recover. With the new framing in the door you will likely need extra assist springs or install some sort of a winch system to assist opening and closing.

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
My TH was built to haul a Jeep Cherokee. The rear door was built to the standard framing and ended up being tacoed ( not good) in the end the manufacturer had to build a new rear door with double the framing crossmembers inside and it now has 4 helper springs on the back and is still nearly impossible for a 1 man lift.

Not sure it helps you but that is was it took in the case of my trailer. The floor framing is also much heavier than normal. If you have any questions on my experience please feel free to ask.
2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
What does that jeep weigh vs what the mfg specs in the cargo area?. Not GCCC on the sticker. That is water,waste,cloths and toothbrush.

I ask this because the ramp and the Jeep are the least of your prolems.

Please do not de-rail my thread. I am not asking for advice on my setup, just input on ways to reinforce my ramp door when deployed.
'18 Jayco Alante 31R

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
What does that jeep weigh vs what the mfg specs in the cargo area?. Not GCCC on the sticker. That is water,waste,cloths and toothbrush.

I ask this because the ramp and the Jeep are the least of your prolems.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Y-Guy
I'm thinking if you were to place steel angle bar along the outside about where the wheels would go, it might take a few bars to help distribute the weight. Then use something like the Fulton Camper Jack or another heavy duty leg that could be attached before dropping the ramp down to take some of the load.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
the ramp is going to get VERY heavy. Might be too much strain on the springs, hinges and latches.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
How about something like this to displace the weight

36 in. x 36 in. x 0.025 in. Diamond Tread Aluminum Sheet in Silver

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-36-in-x-36-in-x-0-025-in-Diamond-Tread-Aluminum-Sh...
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus