Did you mean:ย 

U.S. tells citizens not to travel to five Mexican states

Community Alumni
Not applicable
16 REPLIES 16

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
In questionable areas foreigners should abandon thoughts of bar-hopping and sidewalk staggering to the next watering hole after sundown. Take a taxi. Large gatherings that appeal to the younger generation should be avoided.

The number of idiot youngsters who party in Can'tcoon and other gringo nuthouses, then go to the shady areas looking to "score a pound of mota" is disheartening.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Each U.S. consulate has emergency numbers available on line. One is daytime and one is after hours. Someone is always on call.

When things were bad here in the north we had consulate, Mexican military and federal pรณlice telephone numbers in our cellphones.

The numbers are still available and in service. Check with your local consulate.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Racial Profiling Navegator.

When I went to the embassy I handed my passport to a marine guard. He reviewed it then made a telephone call. I was led to the entrance of a waiting room. There I was asked to empty my pockets take off my shoes and had to pass through an airport-like scanner. Then a marine patted my pockets and waved a hand scanner all over me. Since I have metal inside me the detectors went off like crazy.

Jr assistants to the sub secretary of the public relations staff are expert folder and leaflet distributors for all questions. It reminded me of asking a question about emissions testing at a California Motor Vehicle Department. The embassy is huge -- hundreds of employees. What they do for a living I haven't an idea.

Talleyho69
I understand that passport renewal in Acapulco is easy and fast.
Maybe a flight down and an overnight vacation for you two.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The quote above states:
Americans will not be able to obtain help from their embassy if needed, thus the warning.

The American Embasy in Mexico City is also of no use to the United States Citizens, they have a pair of idiots in a bunker on Paseo de la Reforma that do not understand that if a United States Citizen with a United States Passport requests to speak with a United States Marine they need to immediatly call a Marine to the gate, all they can parrot is "make an appiontment" and guess what you can not make an appiontment from Mexico City with a tablet from the US, the "I am not a robot" does not work from Mexico even with the Mexican computers.

If you get in trouble down in old Mexico do not count on the embasy for help, YOU HAVE TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT by internet because the idiots in the bunker looked as a pair of deer in the spot light when I requested to speak with a US Marine, I do not know if they even know what a United States Marine is, I had a simple question and ended having a friend in the USA get the info for me, I am dreading the day I have to renew my passport, I might just go to Texas for that.

And these are my 2 cents on this item, be aware of your situation and surroundings.

navegator

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
If you look on the link to the map provided by the State Dept., you will see that we still have embassies in locations such as Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, to name just a few, that are in the "Do Not Travel" areas.
Inquiring minds want to know...

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I understand it, the US Embassy does not allow it's employees to visit those areas.
Americans will not be able to obtain help from their embassy if needed, thus the warning.

Sloppy drunk American party-goers should take note as the warning most definitely applies to adult bars and such other areas.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Quote from the article:

The bloodshed, fueled by increased U.S. demand for heroin and a power struggle within one of Mexicoโ€™s most powerful drug cartels, is on the rise in a majority of Mexican states.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at this easy to read, color coded map of the world showing the countries that have travel advisories.
US State Dept Travel Advisories to foreign countries

You shouldn't leave home as most countries are dangerous... Only a few without advisories.

I am taking Antarctica off of my list as one must exercise increased caution! Those penguins are brutal!!! :B
Inquiring minds want to know...

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering what would happen if the State Department issued warnings to tourists entering the USA using the crime rate is many US cities? Heading to Puerto Vallarta next month, hotelling it. Can't wait.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Many are missing the point...

You bet your sweet butt this ain't Georgetown, D.C. and wandering around at 0300 isn't as safe. Going to a brothel in Nevada is not as risky as going to the Conquistador in suburbs of Acapulco. Wandering around a beach at night is risky.

Buying illegal drugs is a lot more risky down here.

And so is driving at night. Likewise getting down and Boogeying at the disco in a city ain't Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

But I don't do any of those things. North or South of the Rio Bravo.

Likewise driving at night.*

My friends do not have halcones or bodyguards.

But Nit Pickers, will surely find these points and trample them into the ground as ammunition in their arguments about how Mexico ranks right up there with Yemen.

*All the things that you drive around that can total your car during the day are impossible to see at night. Green Angels and cops go home. Taxi drivers can navigate by braille.

Perhaps JAPAN is truly safe. Sorta hard to blend-in there...

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Indianapolis isn't very far behind either! Now they are having problems with houses getting shot up with kids (little kids) inside while they are sleeping! What's this world coming to?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Phoenix AZ sees uptick in homicides 2nd straight year.....LINK

Chicago, IL homicides has decreased BUT 650 people were still killed....
LINK

Point is CRIME happens everywhere.

One should be 'informed' and not place themselves in a bad situation BUT don't put your head in the sand and think it just happens 'some where else'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I hope they included Nevada, LOL.